Giving up on Pattaya

aussiexpat

26 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Why, I was planning to live full-time so I wanted a decent size. I figured I could never live full-time in a studio

Sorry to hear about your predicament mate. I agree that 6 years ago at a 30 baht exchange rate it was a good time to buy. I wish I had taken the plunge. As you say, if you sell it now at a lower price, you wouldn’t lose much if you change it back into AUD$
But as an aside, I would give it some time for the world to settle down. Nothing worse than selling something, only to regret it later.

Anyway, best of luck whatever you decide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JusticeGB said:

Now about 30% of the better restaurants are permanently closed. No tourists are here to keep them in business and the ban on them selling alcohol for a couple of months was the final nail in the coffin. In 1980 when I first came here Pattaya was alive 24 hours a day.

But then the 70% not permanently closed still represent, what, 200 more than there were open in the halycon year of 1980? Isn't it good, though, to start a reversion to your ideal of 2 streets alive 24 hours a day and maybe 3 better restaurants?

2 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

Now it is over built with condos, hotels and shopping malls. The sewerage system hasn't been upgraded to cope with all the additional people that use these facilities. The dearth of farang arrivals had reduced the income of local Thai people. The Chinese are bussed around to rich Chinese Thai owned businesses and block places like Walking Street without spending any money there. The coaches they use park indiscriminately around Pattaya and cause major traffic problems. Pattaya has gone downhill rapidly.

The sewage system was in fact upgraded, though there's more to do. Been some other upgrades as well, many in cooperation with business. The dearth of farang was more than made up for by other international arrivals that greatly increased the income and job possibilities of local Thai people and enabled large numbers of non-local Thais to move and live here--via the opening of a huge number of new businesses.

About 60% of Chinese are now FITs and they, and those arriving via tours, spend all around town except in the beer bars you remember from 1980. The coaches do increase traffic but the problems are mostly on weekends and holidays when so many Thais descend on Pattaya. A third lane was added to Beach Road to help with that, to a chorus of the usual sneers here. I think you'll find that Thais themselves, for whose welfare you've expressed such concern, who for some years have constituted a large percentage of Pattaya tourism, don't agree that Pattaya has gone downhill; and none want a return to 1980 or even the golden 1995. Nor do many expats for whom, despite its flaws, Pattaya has mostly improved since the old days.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I gave up on Pattaya in 1994, could not wait to leave it

That might have been because of you,not Pattaya. Pattaya in -94 was fun,walking street was cheap,(not like it is now), especially during the World cup (football, I'm not using the word soccer).

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Wouldn't it be nice if Thailand/Pattaya bashers would leave sooner and then stop the trolling and bashing here after they do?

Well.....yes, if you're easily bruised.

Personally, I like them to laugh/sneer/snort/deride, or pity.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Why, I was planning to live full-time so I wanted a decent size. I figured I could never live full-time in a studio

Still too expensive, and you didn't have to pick a condo in central Pattaya. My condo is 76sqm and cost only 1,5 million baht. But I agree about what your saying about Australia. Is there any other country in the world where you at the moment can't leave as a citizen? 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, BigStar said:

But then the 70% not permanently closed still represent, what, 200 more than there were open in the halycon year of 1980? Isn't it good, though, to start a reversion to your ideal of 2 streets alive 24 hours a day and maybe 3 better restaurants?

The sewage system was in fact upgraded, though there's more to do. Been some other upgrades as well, many in cooperation with business. The dearth of farang was more than made up for by other international arrivals that greatly increased the income and job possibilities of local Thai people and enabled large numbers of non-local Thais to move and live here--via the opening of a huge number of new businesses.

About 60% of Chinese are now FITs and they, and those arriving via tours, spend all around town except in the beer bars you remember from 1980. The coaches do increase traffic but the problems are mostly on weekends and holidays when so many Thais descend on Pattaya. A third lane was added to Beach Road to help with that, to a chorus of the usual sneers here. I think you'll find that Thais themselves, for whose welfare you've expressed such concern, who for some years have constituted a large percentage of Pattaya tourism, don't agree that Pattaya has gone downhill; and none want a return to 1980 or even the golden 1995. Nor do many expats for whom, despite its flaws, Pattaya has mostly improved since the old days.

Who says 1995 was a golden year in Pattaya? Imo, 1994 (and also 1998) was more fun especially during the World Cup. Walking street was actually quite nice during the 90's and 00's. Not overly crowded and cheap. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Well.....yes, if you're easily bruised.

Personally, I like them to laugh/sneer/snort/deride, or pity.

No, just bored. Waste of time skipping over all that waste of space. But they'll be allowed to continue or even encouraged for obvious reasons. 

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

That might have been because of you,not Pattaya. Pattaya in -94 was fun,walking street was cheap,(not like it is now), especially during the World cup (football, I'm not using the word soccer).

Not everybody likes an open air brothel, went back in 98 to stay for 5 days, stuck it for one and left early

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

And the new 90 Day slip is stapled in the back of my passport - just like they've been doing it for years. NO "stamp" in my passport.

No stamp in my passport either  its on the bit of paper like it always has been ( went beginning of August)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, johng said:

No stamp in my passport either  its on the bit of paper like it always has been ( went beginning of August)

Maybe only the cool people are getting stamps now. Or maybe the practice only started in Jomtien on Tuesday afternoon. I hope it will be soon discontinued. To be helpful, I would refer you directly to a post that mentions another Immigration office also adding the stamp last week (besides the slip of paper)--which would suggest it's becoming another annoying thing--but, as I'm not allowed to "drag that in," you'll have to dig it for yourself in another unnamed TV forum. Now back to the on-topic ladyboy posts somehow relevant to the OP's giving up on Pattaya.  

Edited by BigStar
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Maybe only the cool people are getting stamps now. Or maybe the practice only started in Jomtien on Tuesday afternoon. I hope it will be soon discontinued. To be helpful, I would refer you directly to a post that mentions another Immigration office also adding the stamp last week (besides the slip of paper)--which would suggest it's becoming another annoying thing--but, as I'm not allowed to "drag that in," you'll have to dig it for yourself in another unnamed TV forum. Now back to the on-topic ladyboy posts somehow relevant to the OP's giving up on Pattaya.  

I just did my 90 day + prove I kept 800k in the bank earlier this week at Jomtien.

Non Imm "O" for years. Regarding 90 day, I just handed the officer my passport, she clickitty clacked a few keys on her computer, removed the old notice and stapled in the new. No stamp, just a smile and a "buh-bye."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aussiexpat said:

Lol, I didn't think I had to check with anyone over my price and location of my condo ????

I like being in the middle of Pattaya as I can walk to anywhere. Walking street, soi Bukhow, LK metro, the beach, central festival, all only 5-10 minute walk maximum. 

Location, location, location.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 1:47 PM, sungod said:

Chill out buddy, its a world pandemic. Travel anywhere is difficult at the moment.

Besides, unless you want to give it to someone, the property market is down too.

We are all hoping for better times........

And to call Australia communist is absolutely ridiculous. Australia is a free democracy, which cares for the well being of its citizens and is taking all necessary measures to ensure their health, just as other „ communist“ countries like New Zealand, Germany and other developed states.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

And to call Australia communist is absolutely ridiculous. Australia is a free democracy, which cares for the well being of its citizens and is taking all necessary measures to ensure their health, just as other „ communist“ countries like New Zealand, Germany and other developed states.

And yet Australia is the only 'democratic' country in the World to ban their citizens from leaving and to limit the number of citizens allowed to return home.

Sounds like North Korea

And to be clear, I could get an exemption to leave Australia based on saying I'm leaving forever, but a retirement visa doesn't get me back into Thailand. I'd have to buy an Elite Visa for 500,000 baht and stay 3 weeks in Phuket before allowed to go to my home.

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, johng said:

Did they ever do a Thailand episode ?    I seem to remember some blonde women did can't remember the show though.

MV5BNWVlOTNiOTItOTFmYy00NTA3LTg5YjgtZjFlMmQxZDFkNjQ1L2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY0NzcxNw@@._V1_.jpg.9c13c53bbf8a286560b93105fe07545f.jpg

i think it was in her contract that the live segments could not be filmed more than 100 meters from a Taco Bell.       Does Pattaya have a Taco Bell ?

Edited by rumak

7 hours ago, JackThompson said:

No vaccine (and likely even with it - given unlikely 100% effective), means covid goes around, the small percentage who are vulnerable get sick and/or die from it, and life continues as before.  Treatments are improving, so even among the vulnerable, the death-rate is falling.

Contrast and compare the danger of this virus to what our parents / grandparents dealt with in terms of dangerous communicable-diseases.  They didn't "lock down" and destroy their lives and economies, because that would have been insane.  Many watched their children die of those diseases - yet still, they accepted this was a part of life.

Today, a small group of covid-vulnerable, powerful people are holding entire nations' peoples hostage, due to not wanting to isolate themselves, while everyone else can "go out and play."  "It's not fair," they say, as they stomp their feet, and destroy millions of lives.

The best (or shall I say worst) contradiction to your conspiracy theory, is the unfortunate situation in the USA. Talking about our parents and grandparents, I would suggest you read something about the Spanish Flu about 100 years ago, before you make ridiculous statements.

1 hour ago, J Town said:

I used to frequent Dominican Republic, and to take a national out, you had to put $5,000 US in "escrow" to allow the girl to travel with you.

It's can be quite tricky for Filipinas to travel outside the country, have seen several pulled aside at the gate at the airport & turned back... 

I travelled with my (ex) Filipina dozens of times & 1 time, the IO asked me how long we'd known each other (Her face was a picture when I said 7 years) & had me sign a piece of paper that said I would "Take responsibility for her & not let her become a burden to the state"

We were travelling to Singapore as we had done dozens of times before but this time I was on a new passport so they couldn't see all my other PI stamps but they could see lots of Singapore (& Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, we travelled a lot together) stamps in hers. 

3 hours ago, BigStar said:

Why confine your cuisine to street food and 7-11s? I had a magnificent dinner at Hops last night. Great food, service, and a surprisingly large number of well-mannered fellow patrons in attendance.

http://hopsbrewhouse.co.th/

And the lager is brewed fresh on the premises.????

One advantage of owning a condo here is that of having your own place to stay anytime. So if you want a dirty jockstrap or not, it's up 2 u. But you could probably just pay more in rent, too, and find something less odoriferous. "Suck location" is in the eyes of beholder. Personally, I love my location on the beach. Yep, prices are of course lower further from the beach just as they are in other resorts. Anything else?

The only positive I would say about the beach is the proximity of the Exxon refinery makes it more difficult for bacteria.  As far as Thai microbreweries..more evidence that Jomtien isn't the only "gay area.". Never do I do ++ places, and having servers that don't make enough to buy one or two of the beers that are selling never sat well with me, either.  420++ for a Tbone, of unknown origins, and size would literally be hard to swallow.  How many thousands of places sell 20 cm pizzas for 2-300 THB?  Too many, and too many items that are taxed to death.  We'll see how it is doing in March...Is it another place with the menu translated into Chinese?  the mother of all red flags.

Edited by moontang