Trials underway to test efficacy of Andrographis Paniculata extract for Covid-19

webfact

Trials underway to test efficacy of Andrographis Paniculata extract for Covid-19

By The Nation

800_d2b6338a02003f8.jpg?v=1598425500

Dr Marut Jirasetasiri

The medicinal plant Andrographis Paniculata could be effective in treating Covid-19, the Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine said, revealing results of preliminary research.

The trial will enter Phase 2 with 60 volunteers this September, the department said.

Dr Marut Jirasetasiri, director of the department, said that preliminary trials showed that Andrographis Paniculata could be used to fight the Covid-19 virus, as the plant extract could prevent infection from one cell to another in the human body.

Trials involving six Covid-19 patients with mild to moderate symptoms were arranged to test an Andrographis extract with a concentration of three times (180mg/day) and five times, Marut said.

The results showed that using a concentration of three times found improvement, especially in coughing. Both the cough volume and symptom severity decreased significantly within three days.

After five days, the other symptoms began to improve, and real-time polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) tests were found to be negative in two patients. After three weeks, RT-PCR was tested again and found that all six were negative and no infection was found. However, the results of the treatment were not confirmed because this was an early study, Marut said.

Phase 2 will start in September with 60 volunteers, in the Banglamung Hospital area, Chonburi province, and Samut Prakarn Hospital. The volunteers will be divided into two groups: one of patients receiving Andrographis at three times concentration and the other group will be given a placebo pill for the same period, Marut said.

If the test finds that the group given Andrographis showed improvement in symptoms compared to the other group, it could be concluded that Andrographis Paniculata extract could be used to treat Covid-19, but more research would need to be undertaken, he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30393547

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-26

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Excellent, but, um, where are they going to get 60 patients who have Covid-19, I thought Thailand was free of Covid-19......that is unless ????

Well spotted. Banglamung hospital is in Pattaya, I wasn't aware of them having a covid ward. Much less patients.

10 hours ago, ukrules said:

Once I was ill and literally did nothing, I just ignored it and it seemed to go away on it's own, amazing that - it also took about 3 days.

OK, what amulet(s) were you wearing?  Did you feed the monks extra every morning? 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

My wife made me take this when I tested positive for Covid, and I have to say I felt better after taking it, not much better, but better, My symptoms weren't that bad anyway

Any other details about your infection? When, where, how? Were you just allowed to stay home, being treated by your wife?

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Dr Marut Jirasetasiri, director of the department, said that preliminary trials showed that Andrographis Paniculata could be used to fight the Covid-19 virus, as the plant extract could prevent infection from one cell to another in the human body.

Anything that truly works is good news, I was also reading in other news outlets the following:-

A product found in insect repellent can kill the strain of coronavirus that causes COVID-19, research by Britain's defense laboratory has shown.

It is understood that only insect repellent containing Citriodiol and not containing Deet is regarded as having the potential of any kind of utility against the novel coronavirus.

India is ahead of Thailand for a cheap vaccine:

Hindu group hosts cow urine drinking party to ward off coronavirus. 

https:/www.dw.com/en/hindu-group-hosts-cow-urine-drinking-party-to-ward-off-coronavirus/a-52773262

Volunteers?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Excellent, but, um, where are they going to get 60 patients who have Covid-19, I thought Thailand was free of Covid-19......that is unless ????

Returning Thais and foreigners in quarantine could be an excellent option...????????

• Like 1

Herbs have been used for thousands of years to great effect, would hardly be surprising if some help with the virus. Pharmacological drugs generally are faster acting, however come with the associated side effects, herbs much less so or not at all.

Needless to say a certain industry does all it can to mock and belittle herbs, not fond of competition. There again some herb packagers do their industry little favors by making false claims. Do the research.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, bradiston said:

Any other details about your infection? When, where, how? Were you just allowed to stay home, being treated by your wife?

Where was in the UK, when was beginning of August. One night of chills and fever then about 8 days of lethargy, no coughing no loss of taste etc. Had a drive in test, results in 18 hours, started taking the Fa Talai Chon pills day test came back positive.