Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My camera battery is low, so I won't take sexy pictures of my Dunlop, but I do think the yellow lettering is cool, and the red accents.

Price in Chiang Mai is about 1150 baht, plus install. Do not know price for rear; maybe a bit or baht higher.

canuck, do you want to spend another 49K km on your IRC? I wouldn't.

Tell her it was the vandals! Dylan said the vandals stole the handles.

The Thai Dunlop feels good when new but after about a month they start getting hard and slippery and are not as good as the standard IRC eagle grip, the best for the front of a CBR 150 is the Vee rubber circuit competition tyre, speak to Natt at the piston shop, he is located on the way to Tesco lotus opposite the car yards (North end not the Hang Dong Tesco) also you can get Michillin rear tyres for the CBRs now in Chiangmoi rd which so far i am fairly impressed with, but believe me dont push the front end too hard with that Thai Dunlop especially in the wet.

Argh!

Now there are Michelin(sp?) available as well? :D

NewXpat, you seem to speak from experience with the Dunlops. Can you elaborate a bit more? Have you installed them on your own machine or ridden a friend's?

Is it your opinion that the IRC tires are good? One would hope that Honda made a considered decision to equip the Cbr150 with IRC based on grip and not just lowest cost per unit. Not that I really believe that. :o

Hi there...

I have just put a deposit at a Honda dealer in Phuket for a 2007 black CBR 150. I love the look of it.

I travelled all around to almost 10 Honda dealers to get the best price and I settled in on 64,000 baht with everything in. That includes insurance and registration and a full tank of gas.

I was asking everywhere when the 2008 models were coming and if it was going to be fuel injected or not. I could not get any straight answers and the time frame of arrival was minimum 3 months all the way to 7 months. That seems a little strange to me since usually new models come out just before the start of the new year. I saw someone else post about getting a new 2007 CBR in December 2006.

Regardless as to when it will get here does anyone have any information on it and what the differences will be aside from price?

Also, one thing I have noticed on most CBR's that I have seen is that they seem to have rust around the big chrome bolts on the top of the forks. Is there anything I can treat that area with that will eliminate it rusting OR at least make it a lot more rust resistant. I have a covered parking spot at home but it certainly does rain here and there is no way of avoiding it. The air is also fairly damp here being surrounded by the sea.

Thanks in advance for any information. I look forward to being a CBR owner.

Shanman...

NewXPat, I got 51K km out of my front tire OEM IRC, so it must have had a very hard compound to last that long. Where did you get the info about the Dunlop being slippery? Perhaps the same place the other poster got the info that they were tube tires?

My bike's big hex bolts at the top of the fork tubes have lots of rust, but it spent a year at the beach, right in windy salt air. If I were having the bike redone cosmetically, that would be a replacement. Speaking of which, should I change my fork oil before one million KM?

NewXPat, I got 51K km out of my front tire OEM IRC, so it must have had a very hard compound to last that long. Where did you get the info about the Dunlop being slippery? Perhaps the same place the other poster got the info that they were tube tires?

Geez PB

That last sentence about the "other poster"sounds like a bit of a shot. :o

Considering I made the 2nd post in this long thread almost a year ago and have posted regularly since then, I would have hoped you remembered my name!

In that 1st post ( I just checked it) I see I referred to the TT900. Just above these last posts, I sorted out that you purchased the TT100, not the TT900. The Dunlop TT900 is a tube tire.

Purchased my Cbr150 Dec. 4 2002. One of the first on the road

Sorry, bobbin, I did not mean to giving you a hard time. Really, it's more a worry by me that we finally replaced the tire and now maybe it will be bad in the rainy season. My apology, for I guess I got you confused with the new guy.

PeaceBlondie

No problem. Actually I was worried I was being too sensitive. :D

I don't think you have to worry about your new tire. As we have discussed many times on this thread, most of us would be happier riding on brand-name rubber. Dunlop has a long history of making good motorcycle tires. I might suggest tho, that you track down the rear tire and ride on a matched set for best performance.

I asked NewXpat to elaborate because I dont understand how the performance could change after only a short period of time. New tires are slippery the first few hundred kilometers because of the mould-releasing compound the factory uses. So to start slippery then improve to good grip then back to slippery in a month or 2 is hard to understand.

I'm pretty sure your Dunlop is a harder, rather than softer, compound. I dont think there are many rain-dedicated consumer motorcycle tires out there. So it stands to reason they will perform decently in the rain, as that is the concept in an all-round design.

The softer compounds are for the real high-performance machines. And they have to be replaced often.

And what's the story about Michelin? Now they are available as well?

bobbin....

riding on a new set of IRC. :o

There you go, bobbin; I agree. To my old American mind, IRC was never a top brand, and I rode on Contis, Michelin, Pirelli, and Dunlop. Same for auto tires. I am not in much of a hurry about matching the rear tire to the front since we got the new rear IRC just a few months ago, but maybe I will retire it early. They do not last much more than 15K km in the back, anyway. Like you say, it would be better to have a matching set.

Last weekend I went to watch the MotoGP in Chiang Mai (Downunder bar Th. Nimmanhamin Soi 9) and it seems that the CBR150 is the bike of choice. As the owner of a three year old CBR150 Repsol I was used to being one of the few. It was suggested that we have an online thread to discuss the merits of this superb little bike and to help put owners together to for ride days, meets, drinks etc.

The forum is open to any owner anywhere who owns or is thinking of buying one on these motorbikes

So here it is - and here we go. I will put up a photo of mine after I wash the dirt off of it from today's ride to work in the rain.

Cheers

CB

Hi, I'm a fairly new owner of a CBR 150R. I really like the bike but I'm ready for mods. Can you recommend mods and place to go to get them? FYI, I'm in Pattaya. Thanks.

Last weekend I went to watch the MotoGP in Chiang Mai (Downunder bar Th. Nimmanhamin Soi 9) and it seems that the CBR150 is the bike of choice. As the owner of a three year old CBR150 Repsol I was used to being one of the few. It was suggested that we have an online thread to discuss the merits of this superb little bike and to help put owners together to for ride days, meets, drinks etc.

The forum is open to any owner anywhere who owns or is thinking of buying one on these motorbikes

So here it is - and here we go. I will put up a photo of mine after I wash the dirt off of it from today's ride to work in the rain.

Cheers

CB

Hi, I'm a fairly new owner of a CBR 150R. I really like the bike but I'm ready for mods. Can you recommend mods and place to go to get them? FYI, I'm in Pattaya. Thanks.

I found nothing here. Guess there might be some stores in BKK, but it would be really nice, if a shop would do the mods here in Pattaya. I know one store who offered me to tune my bike, power and look, new colour, wide tyres etc. etc. Would look totally new, like a racing bike, but he was asking 20,000 Bht. Maybe I'll take a look again. Those guys are specialized in tuning up the usual Wave's and Fino's as well. On those they do a very nice job.

Cheers

CB

I found nothing here. Guess there might be some stores in BKK, but it would be really nice, if a shop would do the mods here in Pattaya. I know one store who offered me to tune my bike, power and look, new colour, wide tyres etc. etc. Would look totally new, like a racing bike, but he was asking 20,000 Bht. Maybe I'll take a look again. Those guys are specialized in tuning up the usual Wave's and Fino's as well. On those they do a very nice job.

Where in Pattaya? I'd like to take a look and ask. Do you think they would/could order the parts from the BKK shops and do the installation? The transformation you mentioned sounds nice. Any places you can recommend would be helpful. Thanks.

HEADLIGHTS: Am I the only one having trouble with intermittent headlights? The sockets are so cheap on the CBR150 that the connection between the bulb and the socket gets bad. Have had three cases of one light going out where a good cleaning fixed it. There is only one tab out of three that holds the whole thing together. Honda could have done better than this with something as important as headlights. Anyone else experiencing this?

Sorry for late reply. Ride way down Naklua road, it is on your right side approx. opposite Soi 12. There are 2 or 3 Barbeceau Restaurant next by. They usually have modded scooters in front of the store. If you can't find it, let me know, then I will come up with a more detailed description.

Edited by moo9

Cheers

CB

I have ridden many bikes in my Time. 8 Years a motorcycle courier in mY youth. Started on a Honda H100. Next Honda CB250 then a Honda CX500 with its "OH my God" breaks. Then a Brand new NTV (old Revere600). Bloomin good work horse apart from the 2 gearbox rebuilds.(under warantee). Then The CBR600F. Woah Mummer. Never enjoyed work so much in my life. Being Payed a packet to ride a floopin fast bike all day. Next a Ninja ZX6. Thats what brought me to Thailand. Some knob didnt see me one dark night and wham O. Broken bits and peices and a big insurance payout.

Well had a couple of Decent 400 sports bikes here, but Have got the age (30ish) where Its time to slow down on the bike front. To many drunken fools on the road. So having a bike that does 0 to 100kph in 5 seconds or so was burning the candle so to speak. Have been using a CBR150 now for 5 months or so. Great little machine. Handling, breaks, fuel consumption and even looks. It will hold 100kph on the long runs with ease. No shaking or Numb hands.

They hold there price pretty well. You could buy one new and use it for a Year, and only loose 10 grand or so on the cost.

Only Gripe is the seat is a bit firm and can leave the rear abit sore after a long journey.

Right, but in my experience, the CBR150R will hold 135 kph on the long runs with ease.

Yes for sure it will. Its just that I feel 100kph is a far safer speed for me in Thailand. Gone are the days where i try to redline it. The older I get the slower I go. Oh I can imagine the jokes that will come from that.

Got Clocked racing a Cosworth on the M40 in the Midlands doing 146mph 5 years ago on my CBR600. The cop stopped the cosworth first as I spotted the lights and slowed down. As I passed, the copper waved me in. I was doing a sensible 70 mph at the time. Stopped about a quarter of a mile up the road from the cosworth. I started walking towards the policeman who was shaking his head. That was going to be an instant ban. The copper took my details but couldnt be arsed to walk up to my bike as it was to far away. He asked me what my Reg Number was? I could of sworn I said M802 ???.

When I got the summons to appear in court the documents claimed I was driving a car Reg Number N802 ???. Well what a touch. I wrote on a scrap of paper that I had never owned or driven a car of this registration. Got another one back saying it was a motorbike reg N802 ???. Again I told them I have never owned or ridden a bike with this registration.

Complete let off. I have the all the letters framed at home in England. 8 years as a motorcycle courier and no points on my licence. Got caught doing 56mph in a 50 zone last year in a bloody peaugot estate. What a bummer.

Anyhow, Not proud of my recklesness, but this was the start of me slowing down. Use to Go to Liddom (spelling?) race track near Dover to get my kicks after that.

Whats this got to do with CBR150s. Its the sunstroke me thinks.

Happy riding to one and all. Keep the skidlid on and watch out for those bloody U-Turns!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any suggestion on where to obtain the specs in English for the CBR 150 R... I don't have a Thai pal to assist me translate the numbers..

Cheers.. My bike is a kick...

Does anyone have any suggestion on where to obtain the specs in English for the CBR 150 R... I don't have a Thai pal to assist me translate the numbers..

Cheers.. My bike is a kick...

Rhys,

PM me with an email address and I will send you a pdf file of the English owner's manual that post-498-1207825420_thumb.jpganother forum member was kind enough to send me. And yep..... they are a kick. Here is a pic of mine from last week when we were churning up the back roads to Thaton. Thunderstorms, wind gusts, washed out roads, mud pits, and the CBR-150 never missed a beat.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I've just done a 1500km tirp on my little CBR, the first really long journey I have done on it. I have to say, the bike performs amazingly well.

I don't ride particularly fast, I just stick the needle on 100 and keep it there, that keeps me flowing with the traffic on the main roads, nice and comfortable.

So I've notched up about 5000km since Fenruary now, 3500km on my sarleng and a further 1500km on the CBR. I have to say, riding the sarleng was a lot more comfortable, 50kmph all the way, can drive with 1 hand, smoke a cigarette, drink a coke, check GPS :o

There is nothing wrong with the CBR, it's pretty incredible for the price, but unfortunately, as I plan to do some more touring next year, we are going to have to part company. I keep forgetting I'm 41 years old and not 21. Plus the riding position of the CBR really gets my RSI going after an hour or so, pretty painful after a days riding.

The real question is what do I replace it with? (actually I probably won't replace it, just buy another bike for touring). It's quite scary when I look the obvious choice in the face, it needs to be built in Thailand, so cheap to repair, needs to be fairly small CC, so it's cheap on gas, needs to be comfortable with an upright seating position and and large seat, it needs to be able to carry luggage in a way that means it isn't strapped to my back. Can anyone else see where this set of questions lead? I can't believe I'm actually considering buying a phantom.

Please somebody save me and give me some other sugestions!

Hats off to the CBR though, what an amazingly fun ride when you get it out onto the highways where it belongs.

Seriously, if you want to go touring then I wouldn't go for a Phantom although the mpg is very good due to it's low state of tune. I get up to 120 mpg which is superb in my book.

IMO the riding position is too laid back to be comfortable for long distance riding.

Too much weight on your behind and not enough through your hands and feet.

I start getting a pain in the butt and shifting around after about 20 k's so no way would I ever consider taking it on a long tour.

There is a new 250 Boxer due out very soon, maybe worth checking out as it seems to tick most of your boxes. Needs a respray though. Wifey described the colour schemes available as 'very Laos'.

We finally changed the camshaft chain yesterday at 53,000 km, and it was not difficult. About 1,200 baht for the chain at the dealer. Easy to install - remove the left side panels, the crankcase and valvetrain covers, and there it is on the left side of the engine. No need to disassemble the cylinder head, but an oil and coolant change went with it. Total with discount labor (not dealership) ran to 1,700 baht, and the chain rattle disappeared. Done in a couple of hours. No need to replace the cam-chain tensioner(s).

Anybody care to estimate the cost for an equivalent replacement on the average 600cc four-cylinder sportbike back in the old country?