Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

Yes dave, no big difference, so I save the money. I would not trust every Thai mechanic, but if Honda says right on the fuel tank and on the cover of the owner's manual, I use 91 gasohol and see no difference except saving money.

dave, not sure what your %-age figures mean, but 6.5 baht is a big difference in price.

I just say mileage, using the letter e that does not go in the middle of judgment. Kilometrage? :D

There is a huge difference in price between untaxed gasohol and taxed benzene, maybe five to six baht. I get about the same now as I did in my first two tanks. And once you are getting over 35 km per liter, you are spending so little on fuel that you will not become wealthy trading it for a 50 cc bike.

Wow, the difference is larger than I thought. Per PTT, the spread is 6.5 THB (79.7%) for Gasohol 95 and 7.3 THB (77.2%) for Gasohol 91 compared to Benzine 91.

Even being against using Gasohol, if we compare your best mileage (what's the metric equivalent? efficiency?) obtained using Benzine versus the WORST using Gasohol, you used 5.5 Litres to travel 200 km using Benzine and 6.6 Litres of Gasohol to travel 209 km. So basically, to get the higher milage you had to spend an extra 8 THB (and that's using the Gasahol 95 pricing! it goes up to 13 THB if you use the Gasohol 91 prices). :o Not much support for my argument to use regular Benzine.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes dave, no big difference, so I save the money. I would not trust every Thai mechanic, but if Honda says right on the fuel tank and on the cover of the owner's manual, I use 91 gasohol and see no difference except saving money.

dave, not sure what your %-age figures mean, but 6.5 baht is a big difference in price.

I just say mileage, using the letter e that does not go in the middle of judgment. Kilometrage? :o

Well, my question is then, does the carb change between my model and yours? I doubt it.

I'm used to thinking in percentages, and the prices I looked at came out to be those percentages of the cost of benzine.

hi friends,

i am experiencing a little annoyance on the cbr ... i'd really appreciate any insights.

remember that i inquired before about how to adjust the idling. i tried raising it up - even around 1750 rpm, but it still seems to eventually die down when you leave it in neutral and don't rev it up. i'll try to watch it on weekend again but i think it happens when the engine has only been running within 30 minutes - will confirm on this on the weekend

the closest similarity i can think of to a car is that there is a vacuum leak or a problem in the computer's sensor.

i don't know anything about any motorcycle so i don't know if the cbr has a computer box.

also, does anyone know a service station in klong thoey just in case?

nevermind regarding the location of the nearest honda service center ... i just found out through the web that there is one just a block away from the apartment =p it just turn out that it is on the opposit way from where i usually go =p

still if anyone knows anything about this problem, then i really appreciate that. i tried running the bike for a bit and it seems that when i started it, it seemed ok. after a couple of minutes, idle seems to be late in activating. when i run it and brake, sometimes it dies unless i immidiately rev it up a bit.

thanks!

hi friends,

i am experiencing a little annoyance on the cbr ... i'd really appreciate any insights.

remember that i inquired before about how to adjust the idling. i tried raising it up - even around 1750 rpm, but it still seems to eventually die down when you leave it in neutral and don't rev it up. i'll try to watch it on weekend again but i think it happens when the engine has only been running within 30 minutes - will confirm on this on the weekend

the closest similarity i can think of to a car is that there is a vacuum leak or a problem in the computer's sensor.

i don't know anything about any motorcycle so i don't know if the cbr has a computer box.

I'd be willing to bet that it's the idle mixture screw that needs a bit of adjusting, although it could be a vacumm leak.

Does this happen only when the engine is hot?

**edit**

It could be the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) module. Since there's something like 80 microseconds that the charge is produced, perhaps it's not working properly.

Edited by dave_boo

CBR for sale (yellow and black) YEAR 2006, Less than 1500 Km...

Call at 08 71 58 58 83

CBR - How much? Where is it?

GASOHOLICS - My Sonic (CBR125) seems to run same or better on gasohol 95, not much difference in terms of economy and a tank of gasohol is around B20 baht cheaper. Since I use a tank a day on a long commute, live for the moment I say.

Call at 08 71 58 58 83

GASOHOLICS - My Sonic (CBR125) seems to run same or better on gasohol 95, not much difference in terms of economy and a tank of gasohol is around B20 baht cheaper. Since I use a tank a day on a long commute, live for the moment I say.

I'm sorry, but a Honda Sonic is not a Honda CBR 125. They have similar engines, but the fuel injection and other devices are different. Also, the riding position is far from being similar.

Call at 08 71 58 58 83

I'm sorry, but a Honda Sonic is not a Honda CBR 125. They have similar engines, but the fuel injection and other devices are different. Also, the riding position is far from being similar.

Whoah!!! lets not get all pedantic! They have similar engines but that wasn't the point, was it. My point is that gasohol is cheaper. Everyone reading this read knows that a Sonic is not a CBR150, don;t they?

Whoah!!! lets not get all pedantic! They have similar engines but that wasn't the point, was it. My point is that gasohol is cheaper. Everyone reading this read knows that a Sonic is not a CBR150, don;t they?

Well, if you have read through this thread, and other posts I have made, you know making a statement that allows me to be pedantic is kinda like waving a steak in front of a Rottweiler's nose.......don't be surprised if conditioning kicks in and your hand gets bit. :o

I'll agree with you, I really need to re-evaluate my stance on benzine only. With that large of a spread, and not that much smaller returns on the odometer, it's foolish to insist on using real dino-juice.

Call at 08 71 58 58 83

Hello,

It's not too far from Bkk (near Nakhon Pathom) maybe 50km (55 baht by minibus from tesco lotus pin klao)

For the price, I don't know, but I know it has an alarm and start by remote.

Please call this number for any further details. :o

Cheers

hi friends,

I'd be willing to bet that it's the idle mixture screw that needs a bit of adjusting, although it could be a vacumm leak.

Does this happen only when the engine is hot?

**edit**

It could be the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) module. Since there's something like 80 microseconds that the charge is produced, perhaps it's not working properly.

thanks dave, where can i find the idle mixture screw? this is not that idle adjustment near tha fairing opening right?

it seems to happen when it is a bit hot when i tried it last night - i tried to start it, and it idles for a few minutes without dying.

then when i ran a few feet, and i braked without reving up - even if the clutch is pulled, it died.

it is kinda weird, i can't find the exact pattern yet - i think that the idling is not responding quickly.

if it is a CDI problem, how much do you think the shop would charge me to have it repaired or replaced... serves me right for being an impulsive buyer for a secondhand bike :o

the thing is since i don't know much about bike (not even riding) when i bought it, i never really had the chance to test it out much. :D

lesson learned at the very least.

Edited by igme

thanks dave, where can i find the idle mixture screw? this is not that idle adjustment near tha fairing opening right?

it seems to happen when it is a bit hot when i tried it last night - i tried to start it, and it idles for a few minutes without dying.

then when i ran a few feet, and i braked without reving up - even if the clutch is pulled, it died.

it is kinda weird, i can't find the exact pattern yet - i think that the idling is not responding quickly.

if it is a CDI problem, how much do you think the shop would charge me to have it repaired or replaced... serves me right for being an impulsive buyer for a secondhand bike :o

the thing is since i don't know much about bike (not even riding) when i bought it, i never really had the chance to test it out much. :D

The idle mixture screw can only be accessed by removing the fairing, unless you have really flexible small hands and a contortionist neck. It's up on the body of the carb itself, and no it's not the idle speed adjustment screw. The idle speed adjustment screw is simply to control the speed of the engine at idle, while the mixture screw adjusts the fuel/air ratio. While you can affect change of idle speed with the mixture screw, you need to adjust both in concert to achieve proper operation.

It sure sounds to me like a carb problem. Without knowing the year and conditions it has been exposed to, perhaps a cleaning/rebuild is in order.

I'd try and switch your CDI for a known working unit before replacing/repairing. I wouldn't trust a repair, and since aftermarket versions are so cheap (4 200 THB to get one that removes the rev limiter) I'd recommend going that route if you determine it's the CDI.

Yeah, we all make impulse buys; but what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. One thing I always do if I'm making a major purchase is to try and take along a material expert.

nice one fridgemagnet the vee rubber tyres are still weeny little ones i think. can you get us some sizes (written on the side if the tyre).

what other stuff did this piston shop place have anything good.

dave i'm talking to top tmorro about what stuff he's got.

the rear service lifts are only 450 baht so getting one of them. will let you know more.

thanks allan

The sizes are 80/100 rear, 70/90 front. I don't know if these are smaller than the O.E. tyres, but apart from lowering the pose value,

they work brilliantly, which the originals did not- having next to no grip at all. If they are narrower they will reduce rolling resistance - increasing top speed and petrol consumption (probably not noticeably).

Piston shop had no other bits for a CBR that I saw - the bit I would like is the wider down tube for the exhaust, but I hesitate to change from standard, except w.r.t. handling improvements. Now that the tyres work I would like quicker steering.

Oh - - the standard tyres have a pattern of cuts on the front tyre that leads to uneven wear. This exaggerates the weaving effect that CBR's are prone to.

Either your sizes are way off or you input the wrong values. Stock 100/80 and 80/90. If your values are correct, you've got much skinner and taller tyres than stock.

The value you get from going to a smaller tyre is going to be minimal. Especially since you lost all of 20 mm in the rear and a whopping 10 mm in front. You increased your sidewall height, increasing the amount of flex. I will give you that the stockers suck big monkeys; super hard and rather quick to break at the track.

sorry - I got the sizes wrong. It's 100/70 rear, 80/90 front. The rear seems the same diameter as O.E., but is 9cm wide, as against 10 cm.

The idle mixture screw can only be accessed by removing the fairing, unless you have really flexible small hands and a contortionist neck. It's up on the body of the carb itself, and no it's not the idle speed adjustment screw. The idle speed adjustment screw is simply to control the speed of the engine at idle, while the mixture screw adjusts the fuel/air ratio. While you can affect change of idle speed with the mixture screw, you need to adjust both in concert to achieve proper operation.

It sure sounds to me like a carb problem. Without knowing the year and conditions it has been exposed to, perhaps a cleaning/rebuild is in order.

I'd try and switch your CDI for a known working unit before replacing/repairing. I wouldn't trust a repair, and since aftermarket versions are so cheap (4 200 THB to get one that removes the rev limiter) I'd recommend going that route if you determine it's the CDI.

Yeah, we all make impulse buys; but what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. One thing I always do if I'm making a major purchase is to try and take along a material expert.

thanks man, i really appreciate the feedback - i'll keep those things in mind. and will have those things checked in the order you suggested when i get the time. not tomorrow though as i still have to pick up the book as we had a shop transfer the ownership :S

then need to practice more as well so i can get a thai motorcycle license hehehe.

this cbr is a tad old i must agree - 6 years according to the guy who sold it to me - perhaps it really is time for a tune up despite what i was told that it is regularly serviced.

tried running it just now for an hour and i only stalled once - heh must have been getting used to feeding it a little throttle whenever i feel like the rev's dropping =p i didn't let it spoil my fun though.

one thing i find really fun on bikes is that speeds that seems slow when you are in a car, would give you quite a rush when on a bike. it also feels so free. i am not that confident yet so i am only slowly picking up on the speed.

i only tried driving it on regular road (not parking lot) last saturday.

tried to run around 80 sunday

this night, tried up to 105. and it was really fun. not yet brave enough to try past that hehehe

Edited by igme

thanks man, i really appreciate the feedback - i'll keep those things in mind. and will have those things checked in the order you suggested when i get the time. not tomorrow though as i still have to pick up the book as we had a shop transfer the ownership :S

then need to practice more as well so i can get a thai motorcycle license hehehe.

this cbr is a tad old i must agree - 6 years according to the guy who sold it to me - perhaps it really is time for a tune up despite what i was told that it is regularly serviced.

tried running it just now for an hour and i only stalled once - heh must have been getting used to feeding it a little throttle whenever i feel like the rev's dropping =p i didn't let it spoil my fun though.

one thing i find really fun on bikes is that speeds that seems slow when you are in a car, would give you quite a rush when on a bike. it also feels so free. i am not that confident yet so i am only slowly picking up on the speed.

i only tried driving it on regular road (not parking lot) last saturday.

tried to run around 80 sunday

this night, tried up to 105. and it was really fun. not yet brave enough to try past that hehehe

Only 80 km/h? That meant the engine was spinning around 6 000 RPM. You need to really open her up and get it breathing man. Plus life is boring if you're cruising with the Waves......

110 (last time i looked at the speedo) last night after the rain - guys, be patient with me. i have zero experience with a bike less than a month ago and i only get to practice on weekends :o

no cruising with the waves ... does this mean counter flowing?

thanks peace =) but i never thought that bikes are these much fun. though it requires a lot more physically than cars. i hope i don't get scoliosis hehehe.

one thing that i can't get over is that i tend to use my arms as a support for the body. which strains the arms after riding for quite a bit.

i really hope i get the time to get a license - i can't go far being paranoid of them boys in brown :o

110 (last time i looked at the speedo) last night after the rain - guys, be patient with me. i have zero experience with a bike less than a month ago and i only get to practice on weekends :o

no cruising with the waves ... does this mean counter flowing?

The cruising with the Waves comment was meant to be taken literally. I.E., going so slowly that the family of four on the 5 year old Wave R 100cc keeps up with you.

I forget that there are few Americanos in this thread, the illustrious PeaceBlondie and I the only examples I can think of off the top of my head.

None the less, learn at your own pace. Especially if you're in Bangkok. I am young and dumb, so don't take everything I say to heart since the rush of adrenaline is still a major decision maker in my life.

In regards to your arms; Not much you can do about it. You can try and slide forward and pray to whatever friend of choice in the great beyond that nobody pulls out in front of you causing you to smash on your brakes and crush your family jewels. Or you can try and find replacement clip-ons. Those are the handlebars that 'clip on' to the forks. You'd want taller ones that will come closer to your seat. This will increase your vertical angle, relieving pressure on your arms. It will also change the way the bike seems to handle though, make it more Schwinn like which could be a good thing if that's what you're looking for.

And thaicbr, stop wrecking my high dude!

pray to whatever friend of choice in the great beyond that nobody pulls out in front of you causing you to smash on your brakes and crush your family jewels.

On my Repsol I have a perfect impression of that part of my anatomy from exactly that situation. If you think blue balls is painfull then wait until they are black and purple from the bruising.

:o

CB

pray to whatever friend of choice in the great beyond that nobody pulls out in front of you causing you to smash on your brakes and crush your family jewels.

On my Repsol I have a perfect impression of that part of my anatomy from exactly that situation. If you think blue balls is painfull then wait until they are black and purple from the bruising.

:o

CB

:D

I hope you didn't dent your tank....

• 2 weeks later...

BUT the 90/80-17 front and 110/80-17 rear Michelin Sporty are recommended fitment on the CBR 125 in the UK (also bridgestone recommend these sizes) . and i know the 100 front is great cos i got one.

I would recommend these tyres and am just waiting for the rep to get back to me.

Lets face it the original tyres are and look to skinny.

AND Dave sorry about spoiling your MOJO

Allan