Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

Just bought a used, 19,429 km, CBR150 and tomorrow I'm putting it in storage as I return to Dallas next week. Can't wait for next stay and have my own transport in LOS for the first time in 12 years. I must say that, after falling in love with the looks, coming to this forum 'sealed the deal'. I had some police friends check it out and negotiate a good deal for me but only time will tell if I got a good one. It's been 15 years since I owned a bike, a very similarly featured Yamaha in 550 cc. Thanks for all the input on this forum. I am on page seven and have a lot of reading to catch up tp the present. I will try to keep current as I catch up on the older posts.

carb or fuel injection?

2005 so probably carb. Can one tell by the year model?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: on 17Jan2012 I bought a CBR250 here in Dallas. As of today, I've put 247 miles (397 km.) on it. Dallas traffic is much faster than BKK traffic and we aren't allowed to pass between cars so I think the150 will be better for BKK as it is more narrow than the 250. I've been keeping it under 8K RPMs but thinking it is about time to push it to near red-line to break-it-in to all driving conditions. First dealer cam adjustment/oil change at 600 mi. (965 km,). After that, I'll ride like I stole it, to borrow a phrase.

Does anyone have a specific recommendation for where I can get my CBR150 thoroughly checked, for mechanical and safety, in Bangkok?

i may have to be going to Texas to visit family soon and was wondering if bikes could pass between cars also. Sure its not legal? I heard it was, but it was hearsay. People in Texas drive like formula 1 racers man, stay safe. I remember driving from Dallas to Houston and the traffic actually got faster once getting closer inbound ! How fast you been driving on the expressways?

You can take the 150 to any dealer and tell them to inspect everything, but be warned they might charge you for little stuff you may not need like any dealer would. Cam chain tensioner comes to mind, its their favorite pitch. But i would recommend changing the fuel valve and carb needle as preventive maintenance both parts are between 100-200 baht each and will leave you stranded if they fail.

If im still around when you get back drop me a PM and we'll do some stuff to the 150 to unlock its potential,if it hasn't already been done.

Thanks for the quick feedback, KRS1. I'd like to contact you when I get back to LOS but don't want the bike to be louder or less fuel efficient; if I could just lose about 30 pounds it would be the same as gaining 10 H.P. lol. Since I have a 'carbureter' model, would you suggest I upgrade to fuel injection

or is that even possible? "But i would recommend changing the fuel valve and carb needle as preventive maintenance both parts are between 100-200 baht each and will leave you stranded if they fail." I'll do that. Fuel filter replacement also and maybe cam adjusted. Honda had automatic cam adjusters back in the 1980s; Do the CBR150s have that feature? Do you have a preferred dealer?

I'd be worried to own a new bike in BKK b/c it's bound to get bruised or scratched at some point. I saw a pizza delivery guy with a good-sized box mounted on the back of his CBR150' looks perfect for multiple shopping stops as you could lock it when away from the bike.

Speaking of biking in Texas, it's not a comfortable place to be, at the back of a line of cars waiting for the light to change. Getting rear-ended while on a bike has a lot different outcome than rear-ended in a car. If the streets are dry, I'll take the expressways and ride one lane in from the merging lane but, most times, it's much more comfortable, and sometimes quicker, to take the avenues and stay below 75 kph (you can't bribe a cop here, lol). I got 70 mpg on my first tank but expect to do better as the bike breaks in and my operation becomes smoother. I do believe Bangkok is safer for MC riders in general because cage drivers expect them to be everywhere and the traffic flow is much slower than Dallas. From reading this forum, running a MC in LOS is way cheaper than here, also. I have a large file started on the knowledge base contained in this forum. I'm only on page 26 but want to read all the comments so I learn as much as possible. I wonder about some of the early posters and where they are now. I suppose I'll have to keep reading to find out. Thanks again.

You could upgrade to the fuel injection model if your a big guy, but then the cost is just a little bit more for the cbr 250, i suppose that would be the better route. Hard to beat the carb model in traffic though and becomes a different bike after its worked on a bit.

The fuel filter is attached to the fuel valve, its just a stem with fine mesh over it. The cams use loose shims to adjust the valve clearance, you'd have to go to the dealer for this. I dont have any preferred dealers, i usually do the work myself, unless its something bigger.

If you keep the original carb you wont lose gas mileage. The bike will have a deeper growl, but wont be much louder overall.

I think BKK is safer too, but it can get hectic also ! In TX someone will run you over with an suv, and they'd just think it was an armadillo.

Just realized your in BKK, im in CNX...if your just coming to thailand to relax for a few months CNX is highly recommended for riding !

i may have to be going to Texas to visit family soon and was wondering if bikes could pass between cars also. Sure its not legal? I heard it was, but it was hearsay.

It's only legal to split lanes in California. smile.png

dam_n, that sucks !..i'd have to reconsider riding in the US if i couldn't split lanes.

You could upgrade to the fuel injection model if your a big guy, but then the cost is just a little bit more for the cbr 250, i suppose that would be the better route. Hard to beat the carb model in traffic though and becomes a different bike after its worked on a bit.

The fuel filter is attached to the fuel valve, its just a stem with fine mesh over it. The cams use loose shims to adjust the valve clearance, you'd have to go to the dealer for this. I dont have any preferred dealers, i usually do the work myself, unless its something bigger.

If you keep the original carb you wont lose gas mileage. The bike will have a deeper growl, but wont be much louder overall.

I think BKK is safer too, but it can get hectic also ! In TX someone will run you over with an suv, and they'd just think it was an armadillo.

Just realized your in BKK, im in CNX...if your just coming to thailand to relax for a few months CNX is highly recommended for riding !

i went to Old Medicine Hospital across from the Thai Cultural Center on Waulai Rd. in 1999 to learn Traditional Thai Massage and I have walked most of the 'old city'. Last time I was there, i experienced my first earthquake. My GF said, "Stop that". I said, "It's not me". The shaking lasted more than 5 seconds but was enough to scare us both. I think the traffic in CM has gotten so bad that MC is the ONLY way to go. I worry about oncoming Thai drivers driving in my lane in the mountain twisties; is that a real problem? In any case, some of my Thai friends have houses in CM where I can stay. Looking forward to October and riding to CM and hooking up with the CBR150 crowd.

Ok, I live just outside of CMX near San Kamphaeng, and I went from the last carbed model to the new f/i tri-color. Having owned both, I can say the f/i model is a much better bike in about every way. I also love to take trips on it. I've been to Lampang 4 times, Phitsanulock 3 times, Chumphae, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Kamphaeng Phet, Tak and Nakon Sawon. Most of the time I'll cruise around 125, but have been known to run it up to 140 when road and traffic permits. As much as I love the bike, I'm waiting to see if Honda really does come with a new CBR 400 in March/April. If so, I'll probably go with that. If they don't, then the 250 is a definite. I want to go bigger because the trips will be much easier, especially in the mountains. So I'll be selling mine. And in answer to your wondering about oncoming traffic in your lane in the mountain twisties, the answer is "YES!", so that is something you always have to be alert for.

As a somewhat humorous side note, my wife thinks I should go with the new Ninja 650 for the trips, then a new 150 PCX for "around town", so she can drive it as well.

Anyway, welcome back to CMX, the best city in Thailand.

Edited by Just1Voice

i went to Old Medicine Hospital across from the Thai Cultural Center on Waulai Rd. in 1999 to learn Traditional Thai Massage and I have walked most of the 'old city'. Last time I was there, i experienced my first earthquake. My GF said, "Stop that". I said, "It's not me". The shaking lasted more than 5 seconds but was enough to scare us both. I think the traffic in CM has gotten so bad that MC is the ONLY way to go. I worry about oncoming Thai drivers driving in my lane in the mountain twisties; is that a real problem? In any case, some of my Thai friends have houses in CM where I can stay. Looking forward to October and riding to CM and hooking up with the CBR150 crowd.

Wualai area is awful in the evening especially when they have that market around Chiang Mai gate. Funny you mentioned thai massage, i studied it also around 1999 but down at Wat Po Bangkok, i know the pressure points and can paralyze you with my thumb ...lol

As Just1voice mentioned, there can be drivers that get into your lane and especially when they are passing a car . But as long as you remain biased to stay left, you'll hopefully survive. The route 1095 to Pai is probably the worst. Mae Hong Son loop wasn't that bad. You have to watch out for the old pickups, i dont know what it is, but everytime im about to get slammed its always been an old rusty pickup.

So as I was about to wash my bike this morning I noticed a small metal 'spike' was stuck on the rear tire. Was hoping the puncture wasn't deep but after taking the 'spike' out and rubbing soap on the spot it was stuck on I found out it was. Had the puncture plugged as a temporary fix, but this means I have to change the tire. Since I'm changing the whole set anyway it's best to slap on better tires right? Any of you guys from Chiang Mai (J1V, KRS1,etc.) know of a good place to get decent tires and change them. I prefer a shop that's open on Sundays if possible.

As much as I am pissed of by the incident, I still feel a bit lucky to have found the spike before I took the bike out for a ride.

So what set of tires would you recommend? How much, do you reckon, would it cost?

post-118861-0-38834400-1327810822_thumb.

So as I was about to wash my bike this morning I noticed a small metal 'spike' was stuck on the rear tire. Was hoping the puncture wasn't deep but after taking the 'spike' out and rubbing soap on the spot it was stuck on I found out it was. Had the puncture plugged as a temporary fix, but this means I have to change the tire. Since I'm changing the whole set anyway it's best to slap on better tires right? Any of you guys from Chiang Mai (J1V, KRS1,etc.) know of a good place to get decent tires and change them. I prefer a shop that's open on Sundays if possible.

As much as I am pissed of by the incident, I still feel a bit lucky to have found the spike before I took the bike out for a ride.

So what set of tires would you recommend? How much, do you reckon, would it cost?

It's a bit naughty/not recommended but I have done 23,000 km with 2 plugs in my back tyre. drunk.gif

The only places i know that have these sizes have to order them and it takes 1-5 days. Just1voice may have a 'buy now' source.

Michelin Pilot Sporty's would run around 3000 baht plus another 200 for installation with a bead breaker machine. The place i go for Michelins is the parts shop on Chang Puek road right at the Ratchapat University intersection, really nice people there. Prida on Chang Moi can also get them, but the biggest size i saw there was 120. Michelin Pilot Sporty maximum size is 130. For installation there is a tire shop next to Siam TV, good honest folks. Just make sure they lift your bike without damaging the lower fairing.

I just got some IRC IZR 003 for my friends CBR 250 and Ninja 250 upon newf's recommendation, and they love them, you can actually rub some of the rubber off with your finger they're so tacky ! Size 110/70 and 140/70 cost 6000 baht for the set installed and balanced from Samoto on Mahidol road just down the street from Central airport. I think you may be able to get them from Piston shop also for a bit less, not sure.

I think Samoto may have another set there right now. We had to wait 3 weeks for the container to arrive from Japan, but the new shipment is in now and will take 1-3 days to arrive from Bangkok, they ship by tour bus which leaves BKK daily...if you go there prepare to drool, Ducati's coming in and out constantly ! Get there before 11am.

Anyway, Pilot Sporty's are good for semi fast riding where your only pushing the bike about 75% of its power in the curves then they start to slip sad.png not very good grip either when emergency braking down hard from more than 100 kph...they'll slide, i almost hit a ladyboy last week crossing the moat road at 2am, also the last left turn by doi suthep zoo going down, i was racing a bill collector and i was sliding everywhere entering that corner, man i thought that was it.... but this is for 90 front & 110 rear...31 psi...my bike is also much lighter also...so they may handle the new 150 a bit better.

The IRC IZR 003's, i believe are a better tire. But they are on my friends bikes and not mine so i can't really judge them for myself. newf says they are much much better than the stock IRC's though.

If you need help finding either shop let me know !

Edited by KRS1

I was thinking of getting those IZR's as well but I rarely go past 100 anyways so I decided on the Michelins at least they're a little bit better than the stock IRCs (to which I haven't had any major problems anyway, just the occasional manageable fishtail or two).

Funny, I was doing burnouts yesterday morning at home on the bike because the IRCs were still too thick after a year, but I got really pissed off this morning when I saw the nail on the tire (i might have been paranoid but I still felt someone had a hand in sabotage), so pissed off that instead of washing the bike I went back to bed to cool off.

Yeah, J1V PM'ed me before lunch and gave me directions. Had to ride to work in the boonies today on a plugged tire, took it really easy.

I'll be back in the city on Saturday and get Pilot Sporty's at the place J1V suggested and have them installed at Honda.

I am looking into getting myself a CBR 150 and am looking for some advice on the best route.

I have enough for a second hand bargain but not full payment on a new one.

If I went to the honda dealer what would you expect to pay in terms of deposit and monthly payments?

I know the latest "new model" was some changed stickers but how about the previous years?

Mechanically are there big changes between say 2008, 2010 and 2012?

Anything in different years to seek out or avoid?

Any common 2nd hand issues to check for?

I have found a 2008 with 28000km with the seller offering 15k down and 3k per month for a year.

Is that a reasonable price considering the finance terms and more importantly, is it safe/legal to buy on this kind of agreement?

Quite a few "mechanical differences" from the last carbed model (2010) and the f/i model which came out last year. The f/i is a little heavier, but definitely faster, and much more stable at speeds of 100kph+. Bigger tires, especially in the rear. Overall, a much better bike. I can say that because I've owned both models.

If you'er going to go second hand, forget about the old carbed model and look for a 2011 f/i model. There's definitely some around. My tri-color will be up for sale as soon as the new 250's and 400's come out. Just waiting to see what the 400 looks like, and costs. Then I'll make my final decision.

Quite a few "mechanical differences" from the last carbed model (2010) and the f/i model which came out last year. The f/i is a little heavier, but definitely faster, and much more stable at speeds of 100kph+. Bigger tires, especially in the rear. Overall, a much better bike. I can say that because I've owned both models.

If you'er going to go second hand, forget about the old carbed model and look for a 2011 f/i model. There's definitely some around. My tri-color will be up for sale as soon as the new 250's and 400's come out. Just waiting to see what the 400 looks like, and costs. Then I'll make my final decision.

is there a new 250 planned ? i heard there might be a 400 and 600 weeks ago but havent heard much since

From what Ive seen and found out, the 250 will be pretty much the same as last years. There's info about the new 600 available online in a few places. But I can't find diddly squat about the 400, despite the fact that the head mechanic at Niyom Panich swears to me that the 400 will be here March/April, but Honda is keeping it a big secret, much like they did with the 250 last year. So we'll see

From what Ive seen and found out, the 250 will be pretty much the same as last years. There's info about the new 600 available online in a few places. But I can't find diddly squat about the 400, despite the fact that the head mechanic at Niyom Panich swears to me that the 400 will be here March/April, but Honda is keeping it a big secret, much like they did with the 250 last year. So we'll see

i doubt they would change last years 250 r already ,maybe a new sticker or even a tri- coloured version just to say its "new"

it would be great if there were thai made 400 and 600s but if theyre going to be japanese imports costing hundreds of thousands i wouldnt get one

i was surprised that honda want 799,000 for the cbr 1000 rr when other importers can order it cheaper

I had to get my 150i taken to the garage today.

It cut out just as I arrived home yesterday and won't start today.

By a process of elimination, I suspect it will probably be a fuel, fuel line, fuel system or spark plug problem. Only 23,000 kms on the clock.

Good price on a 2nd hand f/i? Hard to say. I was offered 60k for mine last month, but that was by a "broker" who buys and sells good bikes. He won't deal with anything that is not in good shape. Best thing to do is check TV want ads for "bikes for sale".

As for the new 250, about the only change is a tri-color paint scheme to go with the red and black models.

On the 400, I'm taking the word of my mechanic at the dealer here in CM. He's the one who told me to sell my carbed model, even though it was only 18 months old, as Honda wasn't making them anymore and was coming out with a new f/i model for 2011. I sold it for about 80% of what I paid for it, then waited 5 months and, sure enough, he was right.

Last month he pulled me to the side and told me Honda was coming out with new CBR 400 and CBR 600 in March/April, but 400 was "big secret". I've found info on the new 600, but nothing yet on the 400. But they played it close to the vest with the 250, not really letting any info out until about 2 weeks before it was released, so they may be doing the same thing again.

I'm wating to see if they do bring it, and if so, how much. Price will depend on if it's made here or as an import. If imported, the price may be prohibitive, so just have to wait and see.

innerspace - if I were you, I'd hold off on buying second hand just yet and wait at least till the new models come out. That should bring the price of the 2nd hand 150 f/i down a bit more. Or you can check and see how much is needed down for a new one and go that way.

Good price on a 2nd hand f/i? Hard to say. I was offered 60k for mine last month, but that was by a "broker" who buys and sells good bikes. He won't deal with anything that is not in good shape. Best thing to do is check TV want ads for "bikes for sale".

As for the new 250, about the only change is a tri-color paint scheme to go with the red and black models.

On the 400, I'm taking the word of my mechanic at the dealer here in CM. He's the one who told me to sell my carbed model, even though it was only 18 months old, as Honda wasn't making them anymore and was coming out with a new f/i model for 2011. I sold it for about 80% of what I paid for it, then waited 5 months and, sure enough, he was right.

Last month he pulled me to the side and told me Honda was coming out with new CBR 400 and CBR 600 in March/April, but 400 was "big secret". I've found info on the new 600, but nothing yet on the 400. But they played it close to the vest with the 250, not really letting any info out until about 2 weeks before it was released, so they may be doing the same thing again.

I'm wating to see if they do bring it, and if so, how much. Price will depend on if it's made here or as an import. If imported, the price may be prohibitive, so just have to wait and see.

innerspace - if I were you, I'd hold off on buying second hand just yet and wait at least till the new models come out. That should bring the price of the 2nd hand 150 f/i down a bit more. Or you can check and see how much is needed down for a new one and go that way.

does he think these 400 and 600s are going to be produced in thailand ? i would like a new cbr 600 if it could come in around 300,000... long shot :)

if its going to cost around 500,000 imported i wouldnt be so enthusiatstic to own one .......

Briggsy- its probably gummed up with dirty fuel , our scooter does the same at just 7500km and i suspect this is what the problem is

Last month he pulled me to the side and told me Honda was coming out with new CBR 400 and CBR 600 in March/April,

Really?

Your posts at the time mention him talking about a new CBR400, which you posted about a lot, but didn't mention a 600 in any of the posts?

Ok, to try and clarify a couple of things.

1) The guy at Honda told me that around March/April that Honda would have BOTH a new CBR 400 & CBR 600. There are lots of pics online showing the new 600, but not a price, nor does it say if it's made in LOS or is an import.

2) I can't find anything online, or anything definite on the 400, other than what my Honda mechanic is telling me, and he's always been right on everthing he's said so far.

3) Honda has announced they are coming out with a LOT of new models for 2012, showing some, but not all. I had my wife send them an email in Thai asking about the 400, and she got the "stock reply" of - "Honda is coming out with many new models for the coming year, but can not reveal which ones at the present time." Ok, whatever. Pretty much the same thing they said prior to releasing the 250 last year.

Personally, the 400 would be the perfect bike for me. Great for the road trips I love to take, but not so big or heavy to be a problem in city traffic. And, to be honest, my wife totally loves the 2012 Ninja 650, and has even said "That is the bke you need!" I love my wife! haha.

But, again, I'm not doing anything definite until I see IF they come with a new 400 & 600, and what the prices are. Although I have asked Brian at Sumit Cycle to give me a price on a new tri-color 250, with specified modification. I'm going to have to see the new bikes, plus prices, then look at finances to see which way I go.

1) The guy at Honda told me that around March/April that Honda would have BOTH a new CBR 400 & CBR 600.

That's more than a bit odd as you didn't mention the 600 the first 50 or so times you told us about the conversations with your mechanic.

Seems like people's imaginations are quite active with regards to these rumours.

1) The guy at Honda told me that around March/April that Honda would have BOTH a new CBR 400 & CBR 600.

That's more than a bit odd as you didn't mention the 600 the first 50 or so times you told us about the conversations with your mechanic.

Seems like people's imaginations are quite active with regards to these rumours.

Ever stop to consider that at first I didn't mention the 600 because be didn't tell me about it until a week or so later, and the fact that I wasn't interested in it. However, if you go back through my posts, you will find that I did mention it, more than once, and even put up a website link to show it.

The people who have been here (and the 250 forum) for a while, which means longer than your whopping 27 posts, know me, and know I don't engage in wild speculation or "imaginations", and that I try to be helpful to others when I can. Some of my posts deal with trips I've taken, but many more deal with the 150 on a personal level, such as comparing it to the carbed model, since I'm one of the very few, if not the only one, who has actually owned both.

I try to provide information when I can, but also let people know that some of the things I write are what I have heard from dealers, mechanics and others, and not something I just pulled out of thin air.

Try engaging brain and doing a little research before running mouth, Newbie.