Retirement Visa

Went to Chiang Mai immigration yesterday...the anniversary of my 800,000Bht being in Thailand 3 months.

Had downloaded from Thaivisa the immigration form TM7.

Copied all pages from my passport relating to my previous Thai visas

Had earlier visited Bank to get updated account and letter from Bank in confirmation.

Added 1900 baht....handed it in...voila!! about 1 hour later was the proud owner of a "retirement visa"....valid until the end of the year...ie..12 months less period in Thailand since my first entry.

So by studying the entries on Thaivisa the process was painlesss.

One point of interest/concern. I have read here that some get a notice in their passports regarding the need to report every 90 days.....I had no such note.

I must also say that the officers at Chiang Mai are all polite and helpful.I read here often that other applicants get hassle elsewhere

Whether you have the notice (stapled) into your passport about 90 day reporting, or not, you do need to do a 90 day report with the appropriate TM.47 form completed. Failure to do so will result in a fine. I'm sure lopburi will confirm.

I agree with you that this forum, and lopburi in particular have been extremely helpful and I had the same result applying for the retirement visa (extension of stay) - painless, except for the waiting at (Suan Plu, Bangkok) Immigration Bureau.

Remember you will also need a re-entry permit if you want to exit the kingdom, (multiple or single, depending on how often you travel out of Thailand).

The 90-day address reporting requirement goes by a separate day-counting calendar than your annual visa renewal. The 90 days restarts itself any time that you leave and re-enter the country, when your re-entry counts as a new report of address. If you fail to get a re-entry permit prior to leaving, you cancel your visa!

Does this change in the law really just mean that I need the 800k in my account 3 months sooner than before and can then do as I usally do and spend it down? OR does it have to be AT LEAST 800k in account for 3 months... and has anyone tried depositing the 800k 3 months prior and then going in the permitted 1 month before expiration? (thus only really having the money here for 2 months...)

• 3 weeks later...

I too have just undergone a painless (first) renewal of my non 'o' visa on retirement basis at chiang mai.

Most of my 3 month funds were on a deposit account and this wasn't questioned.

My only (unvoiced) disappointment is the date to which they renewed:

a) the non 'o' visa expiry was 18 april 2007

:o the last entry to thailand was 6 march 2007

c) the date to which i could have stayed here was 3 june 2007 (the 90 days given on :D above.

They took :D as the operative date and so renewed to 5 march 2008. I don't know if I was wronged or not. I expected a) or even c). But I'm content.

I add my thanks for all the advice and answers I took from the board in preparing for this first renewal.

I've heard second hand report of American who has been here for years on retirement visa who never got the 90 notice to report and never has, and has never had a problem... Speculation was they are different Departments...

I have been here for 2 years and ready for my 3rd renewal. Havent had to report up to now.

Anyone know what it takes to get an indefinite stay visa?

H

Came here 9 weeks ago with a multiple entry one year visa to investihgate the possibilities of retirement.Was given 90 days visa on arrival.Transfered 20K GBP to my Kaiskorn account to cover the 800k visa requirements for 3 months last Friday.

Rang the immigration service today to ascertain the nearest border checkpoint to leave and re-enter after 90 days and was told in broken english that I only need to go to bKK to extend for another 90 days! I do not think this is correct! Am I right in thinking that I have to leave and re-enter thailand after 90 days?

If so where is the nearest border crossing to Mekron-some 60 miles south of Bangkok, which can stamp me for a further 90 days so that I can satisfy the requirement of having the money on deposit for 90 days prior to changing to a retirement visa?

Came here 9 weeks ago with a multiple entry one year visa to investihgate the possibilities of retirement.Was given 90 days visa on arrival.Transfered 20K GBP to my Kaiskorn account to cover the 800k visa requirements for 3 months last Friday.

Rang the immigration service today to ascertain the nearest border checkpoint to leave and re-enter after 90 days and was told in broken english that I only need to go to bKK to extend for another 90 days! I do not think this is correct! Am I right in thinking that I have to leave and re-enter thailand after 90 days?

If so where is the nearest border crossing to Mekron-some 60 miles south of Bangkok, which can stamp me for a further 90 days so that I can satisfy the requirement of having the money on deposit for 90 days prior to changing to a retirement visa?

Hi Paul

I can only speculate that the Officer was trying to advise you to Apply for the Extension NOW

- if they are not satisfied with your Documentation - eg your Funds have not yet been in the Bank

long enough - you can expect them to give you a short term extension with an "Under Consideration" stamp

so that you can return for the Full extension whan you have satisfied their requirements.

Therev is no need to worry about a Visa Run.

I've heard second hand report of American who has been here for years on retirement visa who never got the 90 notice to report and never has, and has never had a problem... Speculation was they are different Departments...

I have been here for 2 years and ready for my 3rd renewal. Havent had to report up to now.

Anyone know what it takes to get an indefinite stay visa?

H

Mike

You ARE required to REPORT your Address every 90 days - EVERY Foreigner is required to do so.

Bill

I too have just undergone a painless (first) renewal of my non 'o' visa on retirement basis at chiang mai.

Most of my 3 month funds were on a deposit account and this wasn't questioned.

My only (unvoiced) disappointment is the date to which they renewed:

a) the non 'o' visa expiry was 18 april 2007

:o the last entry to thailand was 6 march 2007

c) the date to which i could have stayed here was 3 june 2007 (the 90 days given on :D above.

They took :D as the operative date and so renewed to 5 march 2008. I don't know if I was wronged or not. I expected a) or even c). But I'm content.

I add my thanks for all the advice and answers I took from the board in preparing for this first renewal.

Lotus

One year from date of Entry is correct.

Bill

The 90-day address reporting requirement goes by a separate day-counting calendar than your annual visa renewal. The 90 days restarts itself any time that you leave and re-enter the country, when your re-entry counts as a new report of address. If you fail to get a re-entry permit prior to leaving, you cancel your visa!

I believe that if you leave the country and fail to get a re-entry permit before leaving:

1) If you have a multi-entry visa and your visa has not expired you are OK, you will be given a new permission to stay date based on the type of visa you have (e.g., 90 days for a multi entry non-imm O, 1 year for a non-imm O-A)

2) If you have a multi-entry visa and your visa has expired, your current premission to stay date is cancelled and you would have to get a new visa or enter on a 30 day visa exempt stamp.

3) If you have a single entry visa your visa and your permission to stay date are cancelled and you would have to get a new visa or enter on a 30 day visa exempt stamp.

It's still a bit confusing to me, but I think this is the way it would work.

Can someone advise me about whether I can legally work on a retirement visa, either full time, part time or even private stuff?

I was told that I could not obtain a work permit (therefore could not work in Thailand) if I was living here on an visa extension based upon retirement. As far as I'm aware this does not preclude work in another country.