Why talk about tourist and not about year visa holders?

18 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Because they has count expat's come back anyway! Now they want "fast win". Just coz expat's has bond to Thailand! Just what you say! They want fill every ASQ hotel and make money, probably own pocket! They are happy if that place is full all the time! Coz price is huge, pay much more than normaly and you get 3 meal! Everybody know how much food cost here! Coverment budget for 1 person day food is 240 bth! How much more than before hotel room cost ! 240 bth/ day!? So where go extra money, hotel get that??? LOL

Ok have some other exbense also but HELLO

So where go extra money, hotel get that???

Is that a rhetorical question? 

15 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

I am not so sure you are right. The "lower earning retirees" may have been very vocal, especially with the last changes to the 800k/x months deal. But the more "affluent" retirees are quite a substantial group, especially counting the ones who do not live is LOS full time. They are normally quiet because until now they have not had a lot to complain about.

Agree completely.  

• Like 1

Someone obviously not read my post about how immigration categorize retirees with 1 year visa !!!!  From the horses mouth we are just 1 year tourists !!   I'm certainly looking at relocating further afield to somewhere I can feel like home !!!!

A post done with all capital letters and reply ot it have been removed.

Forum rule.

"1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes, colors or use unusually large emoticons. It can be difficult to read."

It is also considered to be equal to shouting.

2 hours ago, Jen65 said:

Someone obviously not read my post about how immigration categorize retirees with 1 year visa !!!!  From the horses mouth we are just 1 year tourists !!   I'm certainly looking at relocating further afield to somewhere I can feel like home !!!!

Oh I think we all know this well. Some of us have learned the painful way and I myself will be attempting to liquidate my Thai assets on return. Its just not safe enough after all this for me to keep cash or assist in Thailand, personally.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I am on my 13th one year extension of stay based upon marriage without leaving the country. So what you say is not correct.

Nobody said it's not possible to stay here longtime, but do you feel welcome or do you feel every year immigration is making it harder by refusing the usual paperwork & then adding another hoop to jump or another verbal abuse on your wife? ????
13 years & still no thai PR or nationality pretty much cries out loud how welcoming this country is ????
But well done. I did the yearly extensions perhaps 4-5 years before realising the multi o was so much less stress maybe 4-5 years too as I was always traveling anyway - no dealing with immigration offices whatsoever - that time may be over very soon though ????

• Like 2

Cheers to you for raising this topic.

I went home on December  2019 to visit my family and got stranded without being able to come back.

My Non O visa expired in July. my driver's license expired. I pay rent for a locked room.

Nobody deals with us.

21 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

There is no serious talk of opening up regular flights.  They are planning on doing direct charter flights to Phuket for citizens of a few select countries with very low virus numbers.  This will not help most people with retiree visas unless they happen to be from one of those countries.

Yes, been wondering ( for months ) about all the retiree valid extension holders who are not in the selected countries listed. Due to having some or plenty of  'Ties' their, we may get the go ahead as well ? As said earlier, I think most Non O can put up with ASQ to get home, different story for the 30 day tourist. Continue to be patient with utter frustration, Non O will return ! ( Home )

On 8/28/2020 at 4:06 AM, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t get it either.... 

I think retirees and those with exiting ties to Thailand who don’t fit the categories already catered for for entry under Covid-19 regulations have been treated with complete and total disregard, quite despicable IMO. 

The MFA could open up the requirements for retirees, those on O and AO visas (other than parents and spouses) with ease. The MFA could easily open up for anyone with any proven tie to Thailand already, yet they concentrate on convoluted and moronic schemes to get tourists to visit Thailand and stay within the vicinity of a hotel for 2 weeks. Its mind-blowingly senseless and ultimately screams of such indifference its clear those in positions of decision making power don’t really care and don’t really think.

Despicable in your opinion. Why would you think the hisos that run LOS give a monkey's about a bunch of farangs married to ex bar girls, or living in cheap lodgings in Pattaya etc.

Two week tourists spend way more, and that's all that counts now, IMO.

I agree with making LOS more attractive to farang retirees, but the, IMO, anti farang mood in Imm. extends to all farang long stayers, so that's a lost cause at present. Perhaps the light bulb will switch on and they'll introduce a long stay retiree category that actually encourages retirees to stay, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fakser said:

Cheers to you for raising this topic.

I went home on December  2019 to visit my family and got stranded without being able to come back.

My Non O visa expired in July. my driver's license expired. I pay rent for a locked room.

Nobody deals with us.

Not unique to Thailand. NZ has loads of foreign workers that can't go home at end of contract because their countries won't allow them back.

4 hours ago, worldfun said:

Nobody said it's not possible to stay here longtime, but do you feel welcome or do you feel every year immigration is making it harder by refusing the usual paperwork & then adding another hoop to jump or another verbal abuse on your wife? ????
13 years & still no thai PR or nationality pretty much cries out loud how welcoming this country is ????
But well done. I did the yearly extensions perhaps 4-5 years before realising the multi o was so much less stress maybe 4-5 years too as I was always traveling anyway - no dealing with immigration offices whatsoever - that time may be over very soon though ????

Well said. Every year I went to extend my Non O they invented more stupid and pointless extra hoops to jump through. IMO they just don't want farang long stay but for obvious reasons can't just kick all out. Making it harder every year encourages many, like me, to not stay.

Thailand's loss is Cambodia's gain.

5 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Oh I think we all know this well. Some of us have learned the painful way and I myself will be attempting to liquidate my Thai assets on return. Its just not safe enough after all this for me to keep cash or assist in Thailand, personally.

It's only been said for at least 30 years not to have anything in LOS that one can't walk away from.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's only been said for at least 30 years not to have anything in LOS that one can't walk away from.

Yep. Just like any other form of gambling.  Don't make a bet you can't afford to lose.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Well said. Every year I went to extend my Non O they invented more stupid and pointless extra hoops to jump through. IMO they just don't want farang long stay but for obvious reasons can't just kick all out. Making it harder every year encourages many, like me, to not stay.

Thailand's loss is Cambodia's gain.

Sadly all IMO prefer to see you there with an agent ! 

Edited by CANSIAM
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

As I have explained to my friends in Thailand, remember, it wasn’t the government who invited you to live here; it was your girlfriend...

Friend of mine once said, Thailand is absolutely righteous, just don't fall in love ! 

On 8/28/2020 at 1:51 AM, FlyingThai said:

Your pension is much higher than the average person receives. Most retirees come to Thailand because their EUR/USD lasts longer than back home and many barely scrape by as is well documented in the media as well as on the various retirement visa threads here on TV (no funds available, borrowing money from agents to show funds in the account etc). What do you think why all these crazy Youtube channels are so popular like "Retiring in TH with $500-$700 a month"!?

Someone like you would have a very comfortable life back in Europe as well. But you're the exception. In the end it depends on what goods and services people are spending their money on. The governments primary focus right now is to fill the hotels and fuel the tourism industry. A long term visa holder rents/owns an apartment, goes to the supermarket and maybe visits a restaurant here and there. Those who can afford it travel domestically, yes.

You're probably right but if the financial requirements for a visa if married to a Thai woman were based on what you need to live here then it would include the wife's income and savings and the money wouldn't need to be in a Thai Bank account only in the visa applicant's name. I don't think the same requirements apply if it's a foreign woman married to a Thai man. 

9 hours ago, worldfun said:

Nobody said it's not possible to stay here longtime, but do you feel welcome or do you feel every year immigration is making it harder by refusing the usual paperwork & then adding another hoop to jump or another verbal abuse on your wife?

That is what was implied by the post I replied to.

No to any of the things you mentioned when I have applied for my extensions of stay. I think most people have had the same experience as me. A lot of false info has been spread about doing the application by people that have never applied for one.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 4:31 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Not unique to Thailand. NZ has loads of foreign workers that can't go home at end of contract because their countries won't allow them back.

I did not know this, could you give more detail please TBL.