Switching from Non-B to Non-O visa (during covid)

You cannot change non immigrant visa categories while in the country.

You can change the reason for a extension of stay based upon working to one based upon marriage to a Thai when your current extension expires or is canceled using a termination letter from your employer.

If on a 90 day entry from a non-b visa it can be used to apply for a extension based upon marriage.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot change non immigrant visa categories while in the country.

You can change the reason for a extension of stay based upon working to one based upon marriage to a Thai when your current extension expires or is canceled using a termination letter from your employer.

If on a 90 day entry from a non-b visa it can be used to apply for a extension based upon marriage.

I was on Non B and immigration refused to do extension on marriage, I had to go to MFA and get the visa category changed.

As usual people on here said immigration were wrong but the MFA said they were right, up to individuals to believe what they want.

You really ought to make more use of the words "should" and "could", rather than "can". At the end of the day you can only do what immigration will accept.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I was on Non B and immigration refused to do extension on marriage, I had to go to MFA and get the visa category changed.

In your case that was due to the incorrect visa category being done on your visa. It was not the same as the case mentioned.

I can assure a person cannot just walk into the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA and have their visa category changed.

In your case immigration was wrong to deny your extension due to you having a non-b visa instead of a non-o visa.

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

In your case that was due to the incorrect visa category being done on your visa. It was not the same as the case mentioned.

I can assure a person cannot just walk into the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA and have their visa category changed.

In your case immigration was wrong to deny your extension due to you having a non-b visa instead of a non-o visa.

You think immigration were wrong, MFA think they were right.

So again in your view I should have told immigration that Ubonjoe says you are wrong, how do you think that would pan out.

My original visa was non B obtained in Malaysia and after I got married extended the non B visa in Bangkok (immigration at Suan Phlu) for reason of Thai wife with no problems ... I have now since changed the reason for extension to one of retirement at CW, again with no problems.

Edited by Ajooma
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, sandyf said:

So again in your view I should have told immigration that Ubonjoe says you are wrong, how do you think that would pan out.

Not only me stating they were wrong. The immigration order for extensions of stay does not mention a non immigrant visa category it only states this.

"(1) The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM)."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not only me stating they were wrong. The immigration order for extensions of stay does not mention a non immigrant visa category it only states this.

"(1) The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM)."

So you think your interpretation of that statement is the only valid one, that MFA and immigration have got it wrong.

You cannot make definitive statements based on presumption and context has never been a strong point.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

So you think your interpretation of that statement is the only valid one, that MFA and immigration have got it wrong.

You cannot make definitive statements based on presumption and context has never been a strong point.

The police order is clear, and not really subject to interpretation. However, when an official chooses to misinterpret the rules in Thailand, you will generally find it very difficult to get them to admit their mistake, or to get another official to contradict them. @ubonjoe is correct, but there is little you can do if the official at your local office chooses to misinterpret the rules.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

The police order is clear, and not really subject to interpretation. However, when an official chooses to misinterpret the rules in Thailand, you will generally find it very difficult to get them to admit their mistake, or to get another official to contradict them. @ubonjoe is correct, but there is little you can do if the official at your local office chooses to misinterpret the rules.

The police order is not clear, there is such a thing as "implied relationship" and people are making the assumption that does not exist.

The MFA take the view that you should only get a business extension on a business visa, so conversely you shouldn't be able to get marriage or retirement on a business visa.

It would be a bit arrogant for anyone on this forum to say they think they know better.