This place is becoming like a ghost town

CorpusChristie

6 minutes ago, dabhand said:

Thought that was next weekend.

You are correct!

The Mrs thought that it was this weekend as the CM "Local Food Festival" is happening

now at Annusarn market.

Edited by fangless

37 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Realistically, because Thailand is so dependent on international tourism, they should have looked to see what other countries were doing and imposed a more relaxed version to allow some people into the country to keep things ticking over. So they do the exact opposite, relentlessly chasing a figure of zero for some reason, and have destroyed the lives of so many in the process. 

if Thailand should look at what other countries are doing would Australia be a good example

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Enoon said:

"Take a few years to drive around and see how many businesses there are .   Then we can discuss ghost town Chiangmai"

If tourist income represents 15-20% of GDP of Thailand as a whole, what does it represent for Chiang Mai, or any other tourist area, as an individual location?

It would seem reasonable to suppose a much greater percentage.

If those businesses are heavily dependent upon selling to (supporting) the "frontline" tourist industry, and those who directly profit from it, there must be consequences.

The only questions being how long before the "rear areas" start to fail, and how great will be the failure?

And what of the provincial farmers who, presumably, have experienced a growth in demand for their produce ("over the last 15 years or so"?) as tourism has grown?

with that post i will have to amend my "take a few years"  post to hmmmm  maybe 6 or 7 years in your case .   i think that would be a "reasonable" assumption .

2 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Nice post, the photos show a very clear picture.

Much the same ,  every where , in the Kingdom ...

Tourism / aka  the sex trade , is finished. RIP .

Lets not forget many of the 30 day millionaires , visa exempt 

Have lost their wage packets , never too return . 

Covid-19 / Chinese flu,  Panic .

Has changed the World , forever ..

Edited by elliss

19 minutes ago, rumak said:

Note:  i have said before, but want to add that the ones i feel for are those who were away from their families or work and now can not get back in to the country.

IMO   this has gone on way too long and is one case where i would use the word "ridiculous" .   Let these families reunite !   and isolate at home .

Absolutely agree. I know a few business expats that left feeling it would be safer in the states and now cannot return. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

They pull down the front and just live at home and many find other ways to make cash. To Rumak's point the pictures show a very specific little area. 

Many of the shops have "For sale/Rent" stuck to them .

The photos are from Tapae gate area , walk around the moat to Kad San kaew (the long way) up to Nimman then up to the ring road by the airport, which is from the central area to the outskirts of the city

12 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Many of the shops have "For sale/Rent" stuck to them .

The photos are from Tapae gate area , walk around the moat to Kad San kaew (the long way) up to Nimman then up to the ring road by the airport, which is from the central area to the outskirts of the city

Photo number two (from top to bottom) of the OP look like it is a photo of a restaurant just north of the Istanbul small sit in Kebab shop which is part of the little entrance into Anusarn market in Changklan road. Maybe they all just look the same!

Edited by fangless

1 minute ago, fangless said:

Photo number two (from top to bottom) of the OP is a photo of a restaurant just north of the Istanbul small sit in Kebab shop which is part of the little entrance into Anusarn market in Changklan road. No where near what you mention above!

Yes thanks, that shows I took photos from more locations and a larger area than what I mentioned 

Thanks for pointing that out

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, fangless said:

Is it not a bit misleading when you "miss quote" where/what your photos are/about?

I just missed one location out , not important 

(Another location I missed out was the long road leading off Chiang Mai gate)

Edited by CorpusChristie
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

I just missed one location out , not important 

It is important when you are pretending to be factual!

Credibility is all, after all!

Edited by fangless
  • Like 1