This place is becoming like a ghost town

CorpusChristie

2 minutes ago, fangless said:

It is important when you are pretending to be factual!

Credibility is all, after all!

I was just pointing out that all the photo's were not taken in the same area and they were taken from numerous areas all over town , the exact  place isnt really important .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

I was just pointing out that all the photo's were not taken in the same area and they were taken from numerous areas all over town , the exact  place isnt really important .

36 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Many of the shops have "For sale/Rent" stuck to them .

The photos are from Tapae gate area , walk around the moat to Kad San kaew (the long way) up to Nimman then up to the ring road by the airport, which is from the central area to the outskirts of the city

Sorry but the above comment is very precise.  

All you had to say was that they were between Changklan and etc. etc would have been OK.  But you went for the tourist areas!

I suggest you stick to facts or we will assume you are full of BS

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, fangless said:

Sorry but the above comment is very precise.  

All you had to say was that they were between Changklan and etc. etc would have been OK.  But you went for the tourist areas!

I suggest you stick to facts or we will assume you are full of BS

Honesty, you can walk along the route that I stated and you can see the actual buildings still there , if you want the exact location of any of the photos, let me know which one and I will tell you, if I get around to it, I may even post all the exact locations tomorrow .

If you are accusing me of B.S , go to the stated location and see for yourself .

This photo was taken up by the airport , by wing 41 or whatever its called 

DSCF5630.JPG

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

If you are accusing me of B.S , go to the stated location and see for yourself .

I have been there and proved you were wrong! 

I have already told you of at least one location that is BS.  Enough said.

You have now proved that I have no more reason to trust anything else you ever post, End of discussion

• Haha 1

Nimman was lately catering virtually exclusively to chinese/koreans including ofcuz the tour groups. You'll never se thais in all the fake markets, 'butique' malls & all the other useless shops. Won't be missed one bit but kad suan kaew seem to have slightly more life than it's dead usual last few years. New cinema was opened, more expected but still have the ghost mall feeling at times ????

Yes for sure the folding business, jobs, etc is real and present be it beach resorts or cities like CM. Thais indeed keep some bars alive where usually expats/tourists would pre kovid be mainstays!

But bars seem surefire places to get infected. Not a mask in sight anywhere where alcohol is served & social distancing? ????????
Good luck

3 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Yes, it is a downward spiral How will it end? I suspect with most of the people stuck in a subsistence farming economy perhaps able to get the occasional days work for B300. Those with a stable income will be reduced to assorted government employees, health care workers, teachers, policemen, civil servants and employees of the big companies. New normal is a sort of C21 feudalism.

I live in a rural community 30 km from Chiang Rai. On the edge of the village is a crossroads. Every day dozens gather at the crossroads, hoping to be picked for a days casual work. Perhaps 50% are picked. The rest are left. That is the reality of what " new normal" means. It is not sustainable, and the population will only stand it for so long!

We are heading into a society utterly divided into haves and have nots. That is not sustainable. Unless this is addressed, and there is no sign of it, trouble is brewing.

You bet ! Students have shown their flag, hungry poor folks will join soon enough in much greater numbers! And this is not only in Thailand mind you. Just look to Germany for example. Lets see how the vocal Indonesians get on coming months without any tourist at all either as well as economy... 

Back in CM there was fire, then kovid & lets see whether fire or demos will be back first! So for ones living in CM 20 years did you notice about any fires this year not same same as the previous worst year of 2019 & before that ..... Well for sure I wont be around to breathe the 2021 'fresh air' thats a given. Many people / expats / tourist might he left never to return after a took intense smoky experience so a double whammy.

I'd say 50% dropoff in touristic/foreigners based business is a better guess than 10% while ofcuz 90% is just pure BS!!
Oddly my building is almost always near full which is having a mix of daily/weekly/monthly rentals 95% thais ????

23 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

Anyone who thinks Chiang Mai is a ghost town clearly never gets out past the Superhighway. Yes -the old city and Nimman has been hit hard but once you get past the tourist traps life is completely back to normal with traffic to match.

I will take a look, can you recommend some areas that are "back to normal" ?

2 minutes ago, clokwise said:

Agreed, and traffic in Chiang Mai in the late afternoon is as bad as it ever was.

How do you explain the traffic free roads during "rush hour" outside Kad San Kaew and going all the way back to Maya shopping center and beyond  ?

Pre Covid , that would have taken about an hour to drive through due to the traffic jams, these days, the road is empty .

DSCF5632.JPG

11 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

There is a worldwide shortage of gloves, gowns and masks and Thailand's products are in demand.

Not sure where you are buying these Thai products but the masks I just bought are made in China.  Thailand is drooping even in rice exports.  Even Thai made radios are more often Chinese knockoffs (been there) and real Chinese brand Retekess V-115 far better. 

Sure there are always those that make a fortune on others misery - but this will not be most people.  What Thailand has done well is limit the number of deaths due to Covid - now if they could only do the same for traffic deaths.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clokwise said:

does not make big bucks like a hotel or condo, but it has a very long tail and requires very little effort to keep it going. I'm more than happy with that.

You made a very good choice,  congrats.    We've had full occupancy for 12 years ......... but too many houses

being built has probably put an end to that.   Fortunately i bought very cheap .  I would build a local style apt. as well now ,  but getting too old for that.    I do have one of the quietest places to pontificate from  ????  ,  almost right in the middle of this bustling ghost town. 

20200830_111102.jpg

20200830_111145.jpg

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, rumak said:

obviously you do not know who this poster is..... or his previous aliases.    If you did you would probably just pass by on his posts.   his modus operandi is to get into arguments.   

aha, that makes sense then. I have no idea who he is but it does seem he has a lot of free time on his hands to walk around the old town and take photos and argue here, perhaps he's upset that his favorite bar isn't still open...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My favourite bar reopened immediately after lockdown ended. That is over 2 months ago and its total cumulative revenue in this period is still less than its takings in a single high season weekend. Consequently out of 18 staff it now has 3. And what pray is the government doing to assist such businesses. Flat nothing.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, brommers said:

My favourite bar reopened immediately after lockdown ended. That is over 2 months ago and its total cumulative revenue in this period is still less than its takings in a single high season weekend. Consequently out of 18 staff it now has 3. And what pray is the government doing to assist such businesses. Flat nothing.

Is the bar still able to survive on its current income or are they looking at further cost cutting measures, or even closure ?

Edited by CorpusChristie
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

How do you explain the traffic free roads during "rush hour" outside Kad San Kaew and going all the way back to Maya shopping center and beyond  ?

Pre Covid , that would have taken about an hour to drive through due to the traffic jams, these days, the road is empty .

DSCF5632.JPG

Minus the tourist coaches,  endless songthaews, and grab cars, what is left ?

Many now have no income and have one back to their province

Six months forbidden, I would have spent almost half of the time in town.

Without tourism foreign and domestic, and weekenders from BKK

Chiang Mai is NOT a big crowded city. 

Are the public AC busses still running?

Good post and photos by the OP.  I recently spent over a week in CM.

Played golf a few times got home around 10 am then what? Walk the mall.

And everyday I was there I never saw the sun once as it was cloudy and rainy.

The place was a Chinese mecca now total deadsville.

There are some pretty places in the mountains but you go and look at it for 10 minutes and leave.

The coffee culture is very good so drink a cup then..?

I think if I was 80 years old I could settle there but sorry, just not enough going on.  And it seems there are more people actually outside the night bazaar area and old city then in those places now.   Nimman a few Thais drinking coffee.

But, It will come back when the Chinese come back who knows when that will be.

31 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Are the public AC busses still running?

No, the new AC blue buses are not running .

I have just noticed this bus .

I have no idea where the location of it going is

(I know , terrible English )

I'm going to go and get on it and see where its going 

Bus Route Chiangmai And Hod Distric Editorial Stock Image - Image of  terminal, company: 124114724

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, elliss said:

Much the same ,  every where , in the Kingdom ...

Tourism / aka  the sex trade , is finished. RIP .

The sex trade is far from finished as the majority of that trade caters to Thais.
Those who don't understand that are either tourists or 'long-stay' farangs who don't get out into the Thai community much. 

• Haha 1