Pilot launch of new 'Phuket Model' to let tourists in likely next month

rooster59

Despite all the jokes about this little exercise , I actually think it is a holding exercise to show they are trying to get tourism started again ... Of course , unfortunately, it IS a joke and will, hopefully, demonstrate that the only way to revive International tourism is to take the risks and test , track, and trace .. Someone mentioned Greece earlier ...very good system in place for tourists ... I was very impressed when I visited last week .. barcode issued to you the day before arrival and presented on arrival As all you Details of accomodation have been submitted in advance. I was tested on arrival and it appears they cme and get you if it’s positive ..Flawed ..of course what system isnt ..
The big difference is that the Greek Government will PAY for any treatment , or isolation that may be required during your stay ... Can you see the Thai Authorities buying that ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

L ???? L one thing is guaranteed they won’t release the numbers that participated in the scheme unless they magic up some figures plucked from the air. . Unless you so desperate to come to Thailand for a holiday and don’t mind being confined to your room for 14 days or longer I really cannot see this scheme getting off the ground but hey maybe I will be proven wrong !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeall said:

I really think you ALL are wasting your time on this... NOTHING will happen until Flights come and people are allowed in......

end of story!! everything else is just hot air....

I always use Qatar and they have not stopped flying my route from Dublin since the start .... the problem is Thailand will not let us in. I could go tomorrow , but what do I do in BKK ? Kick and scream and dance. Still won’t get in. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, terryofcrete said:

Despite all the jokes about this little exercise , I actually think it is a holding exercise to show they are trying to get tourism started again ... Of course , unfortunately, it IS a joke and will, hopefully, demonstrate that the only way to revive International tourism is to take the risks and test , track, and trace .. Someone mentioned Greece earlier ...very good system in place for tourists ... I was very impressed when I visited last week .. barcode issued to you the day before arrival and presented on arrival As all you Details of accomodation have been submitted in advance. I was tested on arrival and it appears they cme and get you if it’s positive ..Flawed ..of course what system isnt ..
The big difference is that the Greek Government will PAY for any treatment , or isolation that may be required during your stay ... Can you see the Thai Authorities buying that ! 

The PLF is a good idea, but I wasn't tested coming from the UK. It seemed quite relaxed in Athens, no one was too bothered about the virus and why should they be. The only downer was the bars closing at midnight.

I understand the 21 days, because some people have been asymptomatic for 14+ days and then test positive on the 3rd week. It’s rare, but missing such individuals would be catastrophic, especially for Thailand. If they’re seriously insinuating that only countries that have been Covid-free for 30 days can enter, they’re possibly going to be waiting for years to get tourists back. This sounds like flinging random s**t at the wall and hoping something sticks. 

Its funny watching TAT create work for themselves that does not exist. The reality is they should just close down TAT until there is a real chance that tourism will start again. Otherwise they will keep coming up with these nonsensical ideas as long as they are drawing a monthly salary. Total waste of time and money.

My guess is mid 2021 at the earliest.

Do they really think people are so desperate to come to Thailand they will jump through all these hoops? Thailand has gone so far downhill it is now regarded as at the bottom end of the tourist scale. Full of sex tourists and randy old retirees living on minimal pensions with financially desperate young farm girls. Not the dream destination of the past.

It will take a miracle to bring it back and given the range of tourist destination choices now on offer across the World I can't see that ever happening. Rip enough tourist off for long enough and they will vote with their feet (or whatever part of their anatomy they are thinking with).

Who in the hell wants to go to totally Un- "Amazing Trusted Thailand"?

I have an idea who is in relation with Thai culture.

Well.. i'm ok to paid for a tattoo (i have no tattoo... but to be able to have a life i'm ok to get my yellow cross on the skin...) from a temple to protect me against almost everything virus and who will also protect everybody around.

By the time, to get a virus or not is a kind of "karma" (paid for other own and passed bad life...) ? isn't it ? we should accept and be resilient...

(oh boys... come on... please...)

Edited by jerolamo

3 minutes ago, Muzzique said:

Its funny watching TAT create work for themselves that does not exist. The reality is they should just close down TAT until there is a real chance that tourism will start again. Otherwise they will keep coming up with these nonsensical ideas as long as they are drawing a monthly salary. Total waste of time and money.

My guess is mid 2021 at the earliest.

Do they really think people are so desperate to come to Thailand they will jump through all these hoops? Thailand has gone so far downhill it is now regarded as at the bottom end of the tourist scale. Full of sex tourists and randy old retirees living on minimal pensions with financially desperate young farm girls. Not the dream destination of the past.

It will take a miracle to bring it back and given the range of tourist destination choices now on offer across the World I can't see that ever happening. Rip enough tourist off for long enough and they will vote with their feet (or whatever part of their anatomy they are thinking with).

Who in the hell wants to go to totally Un- "Amazing Trusted Thailand"?

yeah, i am desperate. But i can not loose all to come for go back without anything. It should be more than stupid.

Also, i have relational difficulties to accept blackmailers and people who are in total panic (they make me afraid about there own panic also).

so... i have to wait that this crazy shameful story would finish soon, i am not rich, i don't know the boss of Red Bull or other one very big people around, so... i have no choice than to pray for Thailand and wait the end of this so loooooong an ridiculous story time.

8 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

The Ministry of Hollow and U Turn Announcements is being formed by a newly formed Ministry of Unworkable and Impracticable Ideas to supervise all Ministries of the Government. 

It doesn't say much for the Military Academies who "educated" General Cha cha and the rest of his soldiers when you see the efforts they are making trying to run the country. 

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The issue at hand is that Thailand knows this and realizes how much money they can make on those rinse and repeat 6 month tourists. Not just pure greed but lunacy.

ThailandRyan, Spot on, I think we can conclude this Phuket model with the expense of three weeks quarantine and tests will disappoint. I wastes this valuable time left to salvage anything of the high season. As you have forecast before the future for many thais is bleak, and our frustration continues - stuck here in UK too.    

2 hours ago, Seeall said:

I really think you ALL are wasting your time on this... NOTHING will happen until Flights come and people are allowed in......

end of story!! everything else is just hot air....

Seeall, You are so right, Thailand just throws googlies at ya every time. the airlines need clearance as you say and they need passengers with a chance of getting in at the their destination. 

• Like 1

They will be very brave if they do visit Samui  with ONLY this scheme the Island has been devastated by the Pandemic and will need large sums of Government Money until Tourism returns to anything like normal. Maybe good start will be free return tickets with Bangkok Air and heavily subsidised hotel accommodation

Bht 500/night and monthly payments to the many unemployed 

4 hours ago, bodga said:

Firing squad,  followed by incineration,  you'll  have to pre  book a  package before  arrival along with that insurance and an anal  probe/frontal  lobotomy, pretty  sure theyll be queuing up for this "offer  of a lifetime"

Bingo! Quarantine Doctor says "We tried our best.  RIP." 

We are paying the salaries of these boneheads worldwide to eliminate our freedoms, all in the name of our health and well being.

9 hours ago, mike1967 said:

I'm just wondering about testing in other countries. If you need a negative test 48 hours before departing then surely this is going to be super stress time. Imagine having everything in place then you'll have to lie about needing a test or maybe you can pay for it? You'll be sat at home biting your finger nails waiting for the test result to come back. I can see people either in the airport or on the way checking their emails every 20 seconds for the results. One slight hiccup then it's all over. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This new requirement of 48 hours is insane for a PCR test. They take 2-3 working days. Getting the result in under 48 hours is exceptionally fast. 

Its easy to throw rocks, this forum specializes in it ????

But I see this whole thing as a generally positive thing that something is changing (in this particular area). People keep harping on about flights, visa, etc and all kinds of ancillary issues BUT you must remember your reactions are to an article in the media. Written by someone who knows just slightly more than we.

I think theres a hell of a lot more about this whole "model" that has answers, it's just that the press don't know what those answers are so are writing part pieces without info or details.

I think this whole "Phuket model" is much further down the line in planning than we think.

And .... don't accuse me of sticking up for the government or corrupt politicians (or dissing with Australians Mr. "Jack") because I am not, I am just pointing out theres no point frothing at the mouth over an article written by a farang on a pittance who needs to file 3 stories a day to be able to afford to stay in Thailand. 

Personally I think this whole thing is real and is moving fast.

• Like 1

My wife & I are fairly typical “snowbirds” in that for the past 10 years we have flown from UK in January to house rented in Hua Hin, and return in May. There is no chance of us returning under the circumstances described here. 3 weeks restricted in Phuket at our expense then travel to HH, no thanks!

22 hours ago, Oldie said:

I doubt that there will be many snowbird countries without a new case for 30 days. But despite saying that this is a prerequisite for allowing tourists from certain countries to come to Thailand they obviously don't care now already. 

I thought the article said no new outbreaks, not no new cases.

On 8/30/2020 at 6:56 AM, EVENKEEL said:

How about a super good Amulet in place of quarantine.

Such things do exist but are devilishly expensive. 

Also Certificate of Holiness, Goodness Insurance, and a 3 month Soul Conditioning Quarantine are required before purchase. 

My proposal is I am quarantined for several months in a fully staffed soapy massage parlor to see if this is a viable model to bring back tourists. I will be required to have at least 2 soapies a day. Please understand I am willing to do this for the good of humanity, not myself.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, wasabi said:

My proposal is I am quarantined for several months in a fully staffed soapy massage parlor to see if this is a viable model to bring back tourists. I will be required to have at least 2 soapies a day. Please understand I am willing to do this for the good of humanity, not myself.

Also helping employ Thais. It's win win.