Pilot launch of new 'Phuket Model' to let tourists in likely next month

rooster59

38 minutes ago, tomauasia said:

You make as much sense as them

Well lets take a logical look amid all the whining and moaning

There is not going to be much tourism in Thailand until regular international flights are resumed

So any idea to establish more regular and accessible international air traffic moving in and out of Thailand on some sort of regular basis is a step forward for those looking to travel

Given the current situation no country is going to throw open the borders for a major influx without controls but with international arrivals scheduled more amenable entry process may be considered further down the line

Possibly there are thousands out there who are monied up and prepared for a historic Thailand quarantine experience - I hope so to keep the international travel door ajar

Edited by 473geo

2 hours ago, Percy P said:

But theirs no flights in of out of New Zealand  or Australia at the moment. Their in lockdown until 2021 at least. I have a friend who lived their who keeps me informed.

Not true...Air New Zealand to HK(16 hr layover) and then Thai Airways to BKK...must have approval from Thai Embassy before flying...my wife is Thai and i looked into this option last week

41 minutes ago, 473geo said:

So any idea to establish more regular and accessible international air traffic moving in and out of Thailand on some sort of regular basis is a step forward for those looking to travel

I came through BKK on Friday and saw about half a dozen foreign aircraft at the international passenger gates, so there is movement of some sort.

What was a bit puzzling was that a Qatar and Emirates flights landed shortly after us into domestic, they had both come from Samui.

May have been repatriation via BKK to the middle east, I saw the passengers come off and they were heavily laden with luggage.

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Most of them will be from Australia and New Zealand

That's great. Only 2 problems are that Victoria Australia has local infections in the hundreds (well, reduced to 96 or so in the last day, but still...) and Victorians can't even travel to other stated IN Australia. The other problem is that AFAIK Australians are not allowed to leave the country without a special permit from their government and I think a holiday in Thailand won't be a good enough reason to get such approval

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, ian007 said:

not to forget that Australians ARE NOT PERMITTED to leave the country. What a stupid article yet again!

Hell! I am not even allowed to travel more than 5km from my home within Melbourne, and that has to be outside of the 8pm to 5am curfew hours. International travel? LOL. Maybe late next year assuming the whole circus does not start up again when China release covid-20 on the world.

1 hour ago, sambum said:

"plane lunacy." 

Bearing in mind the ban on International flights, is that a deliberate typo?

yes and sarcasm all rolled into the last sentence as well, his own words as he does not believe that major airlines will get the first dibs on flights but rather they will be given to the Country's flagship Thai Airways.

• Like 2

Here we have the concept of the " Phuket Model ", which has not even been trialed to see if it is even a viable option, and already the Gov,t are prepared to roll it out Nationaly.

I hope the Gov,t have as many plans ahead for the massive increase in Covid cases that are going to occur when the Foreign Tourists arrive along with the massive waves of Immigrant Labour from Myanmar, Cambodia Etc.

3 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Here we have the concept of the " Phuket Model ", which has not even been trialed to see if it is even a viable option, and already the Gov,t are prepared to roll it out Nationaly.

I hope the Gov,t have as many plans ahead for the massive increase in Covid cases that are going to occur when the Foreign Tourists arrive along with the massive waves of Immigrant Labour from Myanmar, Cambodia Etc.

You have to accept the virus to go forward, countries can't afford to be locked in. The key is how you manage the virus whilst not damaging the economy further.

• Thanks 1

Farangs who are able to return on an expat flight have to have a covid test within 72 hours of their flight and this is do able however  48 hours turnover and getting results is not very viable.

Aalso I see one of the approved hotel groups charge between 11000 and 33000 per night and that is not their ASQ rate.

24 minutes ago, PeeJayEm said:

And what will be done with anyone who tests positive on arrival or within the 3 weeks? Throw away the room key?

Firing squad,  followed by incineration,  you'll  have to pre  book a  package before  arrival along with that insurance and an anal  probe/frontal  lobotomy, pretty  sure theyll be queuing up for this "offer  of a lifetime"