Need advice on COVID insurance for foreigner

AlexxT

Hi,

I live in Singapore and I am legally married to a Thai national who lives in Thailand. I may be eligible to travel to Thailand. One of the requirements is to have a health insurance that covers COVID-19 up to USD 100,000. 

Where do I get such an insurance? I cannot get it here because in Singapore I am already covered for COVID. Travel insurance does not cover COVID.

I asked the Thai Embassy, they told me to look on Google (?) That was very helpful.

So, I looked on Google and found a few in Thailand that offer this but only for foreigners who have a visa to live in Thailand. I do not.

This seems like a typical Thai-government catch 22. Allowed to come but need insurance, cannot buy insurance if no visa.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Edited by AlexxT

27 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Just was content where ask same! One member say google Safety Wings Insurance! There can find insurance for travel whit covid coverage!

Thanks for the tip! They seem OK. I chatted with them and they can even provide the required certificate. Coverage for COVID is up to 250K USD

On 8/30/2020 at 5:29 PM, AlexxT said:

Thanks for the tip! They seem OK. I chatted with them and they can even provide the required certificate. Coverage for COVID is up to 250K USD

"Travel insurance does not cover COVID."

I don't think that's true. Have you checked every travel insurance company in Singapore? 

4 hours ago, Max69xl said:

"Travel insurance does not cover COVID."

I don't think that's true. Have you checked every travel insurance company in Singapore? 

Yes, I have checked every travel insurance in Singapore and none of them cover COVID for policies that were started after March 2020 and before you ask, health care insurance only covers COVID when treated in Singapore. There is no way to get any insurance (in Singapore) that will cover for COVID treatment abroad as required by the Thai government guidelines for immigration.

The travel insurance that is mentioned in this post do cover COVID. I have confirmed this personally by phone with Safety WIngs and Luma. 

6 hours ago, rupert the bear said:

im sorry  2 is 1 but i cant understand a thing your writing ,can u tell us what your saying,the name of the ins company where its based,is it on the net,the cost and duration of the policy,thats the case for any other posters too ,thank you

We're not all perfect English speakers. 2 is 1 is trying to help out and I'm grateful for him/her trying. I can understand enough to find the Safety Wings website and find the answers to the questions you're asking myself. You cannot expect someone on this forum to be an expert in insurance. If you want to know the details you should do your own research. Thanks to 2 is 1 to point me (us) in the right direction.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Luna worked for me, only took 2-3 days to get the certificate after I transferred the money.

Anyone flying from LAX that need same day covid and fit-to-fly certificates can get both in 30-60 minutes at "Hollywood Walk-In Clinic....

did you pay them from a foreign account? or from your thai bank account?

because if you paid from a foreign account, it might takes 2-3days just for them to get the payment...

41 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

did you pay them from a foreign account? or from your thai bank account?

because if you paid from a foreign account, it might takes 2-3days just for them to get the payment...

I paid from my Thai account, but I think they take credit card as well.

The Luma Thailand Pass looks interesting, but I would be interested to hear from someone who has actually used it to enter Thailand.  In particular I would be interested in anyone who has used it who fits my circumstances - 73 years, on a one-year extension and currently in Thailand.

The reason I am concerned is that it seems to be simple travel insurance and travel insurance typically: -

1.       Is not valid in the country of issue or the home country of the applicant:

2.       Is only valid for short trips e.g. 30 or 60 days

I can live with the premiums. A friend of mine, in similar circumstances as me, got ballpark quotes from a couple of agents in excess of Baht 150,000 for full medical insurance at our age. As the saying goes “if seems to good to be true, it probably is”.

Edited by CRUNCHER

18 hours ago, CRUNCHER said:

The Luma Thailand Pass looks interesting, but I would be interested to hear from someone who has actually used it to enter Thailand.  In particular I would be interested in anyone who has used it who fits my circumstances - 73 years, on a one-year extension and currently in Thailand.

The reason I am concerned is that it seems to be simple travel insurance and travel insurance typically: -

1.       Is not valid in the country of issue or the home country of the applicant:

2.       Is only valid for short trips e.g. 30 or 60 days

I can live with the premiums. A friend of mine, in similar circumstances as me, got ballpark quotes from a couple of agents in excess of Baht 150,000 for full medical insurance at our age. As the saying goes “if seems to good to be true, it probably is”.

I used the Luma certificate and it was approved by the consulate in LA and accepted by Cathay Pacific to board.

I would consider it useless as insurance, and assumed I was just buying the cert. No medical questions other than age were asked. I'm 62 but I think they insure up to 80 for the same flat rate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I used the Luma certificate and it was approved by the consulate in LA and accepted by Cathay Pacific to board.

I would consider it useless as insurance, and assumed I was just buying the cert. No medical questions other than age were asked. I'm 62 but I think they insure up to 80 for the same flat rate.

Have you made it back to thailand yet? 

Can I ask a couple questions? How long did it take you from the start of the process, to actually getting on a plane? 

And what embassy did you have to go through? DC? 

How about the ball park of all the costs to get back?

4 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Have you made it back to thailand yet? 

Can I ask a couple questions? How long did it take you from the start of the process, to actually getting on a plane? 

And what embassy did you have to go through? DC? 

How about the ball park of all the costs to get back?

Yes, I'm back in Thailand.

I went through the consulate in Los Angeles. Good phone support and their website has a list of the documents and whatnot that are required. 

You need to get all your documents (including the insurance certificate) book the flight (from the website) book the ASQ (from the website) before you can complete the online application. Once I completed the online application it took 3-4 days to get my entry permit. 

Less than 72 hours before your flight you have to get both a covid test certificate and a fit-to-fly certificate.

The only thing really difficult is finding a clinic that provides rapid-results covid testing. Places everywhere that will test you free, but five to ten days to get the results. 

Insurance was about $500 for a certificate good for a year. You only need six months, you you can save something on this.

Flight was just under $1,000 for econ one-way on Cathay, and I got it bumped to premium economy LAX to HKG for another $500. Flights were empty so the extra $500 was a waste.

ASQ was about $1,200 at the Maple Hotel which includes all medical, meals and airport transfer.

Fit-to-fly certificate was $100 and the covid test certificate $80 at the Hollywood Walk-In Clinic. It took less than and hour to get both, so you could actually get these the same day as your flight as they only get submitted to the airline, not the consulate. 

I already had a valid visa, so the entry permit from the consulate was free. 

Hope this helps,

Dave

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes, I'm back in Thailand.

I went through the consulate in Los Angeles. Good phone support and their website has a list of the documents and whatnot that are required. 

You need to get all your documents (including the insurance certificate) book the flight (from the website) book the ASQ (from the website) before you can complete the online application. Once I completed the online application it took 3-4 days to get my entry permit. 

Less than 72 hours before your flight you have to get both a covid test certificate and a fit-to-fly certificate.

The only thing really difficult is finding a clinic that provides rapid-results covid testing. Places everywhere that will test you free, but five to ten days to get the results. 

Insurance was about $500 for a certificate good for a year. You only need six months, you you can save something on this.

Flight was just under $1,000 for econ one-way on Cathay, and I got it bumped to premium economy LAX to HKG for another $500. Flights were empty so the extra $500 was a waste.

ASQ was about $1,200 at the Maple Hotel which includes all medical, meals and airport transfer.

Fit-to-fly certificate was $100 and the covid test certificate $80 at the Hollywood Walk-In Clinic. It took less than and hour to get both, so you could actually get these the same day as your flight as they only get submitted to the airline, not the consulate. 

I already had a valid visa, so the entry permit from the consulate was free. 

Hope this helps,

Dave

Yes that does help.  Thanks for going to so much trouble.

One last question - what visa do you have?

7 hours ago, CRUNCHER said:

Yes that does help.  Thanks for going to so much trouble.

One last question - what visa do you have?

Marriage, and one document you will need to provide is a letter stating why it is important that you return to Thailand.

If you do not have a visa you can still be approved, but you would also have to pay for a visa. 

If you are not married or do not have a Thai child I am not sure what basis you would be allowed in.

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Marriage, and one document you will need to provide is a letter stating why it is important that you return to Thailand.

If you do not have a visa you can still be approved, but you would also have to pay for a visa. 

If you are not married or do not have a Thai child I am not sure what basis you would be allowed in.

Thanks! You have put a lot of clarity into this murky subject.