English shops to double charge for single-use plastic bags to 10p

webfact

English shops to double charge for single-use plastic bags to 10p

2020-08-30T230752Z_1_LYNXMPEG7T0KY_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-POLITICS-PLASTIC.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Shoppers carry shopping in plastic bags in the West End, in London, Britain December 27, 2018. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls

LONDON (Reuters) - All retailers in England will charge for single-use plastic carrier bags from next April with the price doubling to 10 pence ($0.13), the government said on Monday as it stepped up efforts to reduce plastic waste.

Since October 2015, large retailers in England have been legally required to impose a charge of 5p for plastic bags, a measure which the government says has taken 15 billion bags out of circulation.

In England the charges will now apply to all retailers, not just those with more than 250 staff members, and the charge will be increased to 10p per bag.

"Ministers want to see bag usage cut significantly in small shops as well, with customers incentivised to use long-life bags made from more sustainable and environmentally friendly materials," said a statement from the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs.

The Marine Conservation Society said that since the 5p charge was introduced it had seen a drop of more than 60% in the number of plastic bags on UK beaches.

(Reporting by Sarah Young; editing by Stephen Addison)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-08-31

• Like 1

When was in Sainsbury's last, about 6/7 years ago, you could buy a stronger 'bag for life' for 10p. They promised that when it broke or wore out, they'd replace it for free.

So now that idea has been 'forgotten' it seems.

9 hours ago, bodga said:

i find that hard to believe when many bags wash up from all over the world

Please sit down - I have some shocking news.

Apparently, the UK is not the only country in the world. And even more astonishing - some of these other places use plastic bags.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

All retailers in England will charge for single-use plastic carrier bags from next April with the price doubling to 10 pence

Don’t charge for them, ban their use and production.

There is no excuse for allowing single use plastic bags. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Are these the same plastic bags that replaced paper bags all those years ago , so trees could be saved ?

No plastic bags at the supermarket , but 50% or more of the items purchased are in plastic containers / wrappers.

It is not really the fault of the material used , it is the people who can not dispose of the plastic properly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, faraday said:

When was in Sainsbury's last, about 6/7 years ago, you could buy a stronger 'bag for life' for 10p. They promised that when it broke or wore out, they'd replace it for free.

So now that idea has been 'forgotten' it seems.

Not at all - all the large UK supermarkets offer bag for life at 10p, unless you want one that has a pretty pattern rather than an advert.

1 hour ago, NE1 said:

Are these the same plastic bags that replaced paper bags all those years ago , so trees could be saved ?

No plastic bags at the supermarket , but 50% or more of the items purchased are in plastic containers / wrappers.

It is not really the fault of the material used , it is the people who can not dispose of the plastic properly.

Yes, proper disposal would be much better. But with plastic bags hardly degrading at all, it really is a material problem.

9 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

same as villa, not price

FREE for years, now 1 or 2 baht for a bag worth a few satang to make

I use a water filter, instead of 6 plastic bottles per day x 365, we at home use ZERO with a water filter

why not encourage that ???

because in England, tap water is potable.

no plastic framed filter to put in the ocean every 6 months.

so no, please do not encourage that.

11 hours ago, brommers said:

And this is deemed to be newsworthy! England is a decade behind other countries in implementing this. In fact England is a shambles thanks to Mr Blobby and his incompetent cabinet 

which countries were charging for plastic bags 10 years before the uk? i assume you are blaming boris for this which is nonsense as he's been PM for less than a year!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are personal advantages, I've probably halved my trash by reusing plastic bags; if you're lazy like me less trips to dump garbage is always good. I also sort my garbage into hard plastic, tin, and glass, some old lady appreciates it, so my SO assures me. Biodegradable stuff goes into the garden. Every two weeks or so I dump a bin bag in the trash can, mostly full of the plastic bags it's impossible to avoid. I must say it was an eye opener for me when I first started this thing, just how much trash I as an individual generate.

13 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

same as villa, not price

FREE for years, now 1 or 2 baht for a bag worth a few satang to make

I use a water filter, instead of 6 plastic bottles per day x 365, we at home use ZERO with a water filter

why not encourage that ???

It should be encouraged. I have water delivered in 20-liter re-usable bottles and decanter them into 1 1/2 liter bottles which I re-use. Haven't bought a plastic bottle of water in years. A water filter is a good alternative idea if it can be trusted.

I also use re-usable, 500ml, stainless steel vacuum bottle for ice-cooled drinking water both at home and when out. Rarely do I buy a drink from a Thai vendor or 7/11. Hard to imagine a Thai who is not clutching a single-use plastic bag containing a single-use drink container. Even harder to imagine a Thai or a farang with a 500 ml, stainless steel, vacuum bottle. Such a thing must be a real luxury item for Thais or just not stylish and cool (farangs as well).

When I was a kid, people were chaining themselves to trees to stop deforestation caused by the insatiable demand for paper bags and wrapping. A Swedish engineer invented the plastic bag to offer a durable alternative to paper. His son said a few years ago he would be horrified to know people threw them away instead of reusing them. Like everything else, it is human stupidity that causes the waste problem.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Purdey said:

When I was a kid, people were chaining themselves to trees to stop deforestation caused by the insatiable demand for paper bags and wrapping. A Swedish engineer invented the plastic bag to offer a durable alternative to paper. His son said a few years ago he would be horrified to know people threw them away instead of reusing them. Like everything else, it is human stupidity that causes the waste problem.

the scum are destoying our planet,we should recycle,what happened to greta thunderberg,she,ll sort it all out.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, stevenl said:

Yes, proper disposal would be much better. But with plastic bags hardly degrading at all, it really is a material problem.

its up to the retailers to refuse to serve the scum who have no regard or respect for our planet to not stock plastic carrier bags full stop,and tell the cretins if you dont like it shop elsewhere,for evil to triumph it only requires good people to do nothing

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, kingdong said:

right on these scum who manufacture this garbage threaten the future of mankind.

Single use plastic is a very real threat to the environment and eco systems, there is no excuse for its use. 

As to scum, I can certainly recognise scum when it raises its head. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Single use plastic is a very real threat to the environment and eco systems, there is no excuse for its use. 

As to scum, I can certainly recognise scum when it raises its head. 

and we can recognize the virtue signalers, who are so perfect ,that they have never ever used any of that nasty plastic.????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

and we can recognize the virtue signalers, who are so perfect ,that they have never ever used any of that nasty plastic.????

And who exactly have I condemned?

My reference to scum was not directed at those who use plastic bags...

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

And who exactly have I condemned?

My reference to scum was not directed at those who use plastic bags...

Sorry it was not pointed at you in particular , just i was stating that there are so many virtue signalers around these days , but i doubt if they are perfect.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, jastheace said:

because in England, tap water is potable.

no plastic framed filter to put in the ocean every 6 months.

so no, please do not encourage that.

Yes, UK water is drinkable out of the tap, has been for many decades, but in LOS I would not drink tap water, to many possible variables involved getting to my tap.

My water filter in LOS is washable, cool eh.......????

I remember before the plastic bag revolution, folk would take their own bags or basket, easy to do again. Mind you, things were different then, grew our own veg, cooked more, now, buy what you can out of a supermarket, so we have more time on the sofa playing with a phone......????

22 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Sorry it was not pointed at you in particular , just i was stating that there are so many virtue signalers around these days , but i doubt if they are perfect.

No worries, no one is perfect, I know that I am not, however single use plastic bags are a real danger to eco systems.

I wish govts would just ban their use and production.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1