Chaengwattana and MTT today. Denied x 3.

Just another report for Changwattana and MTT.  Our case is different than most since I have a non-Thai family of mixed nationalities and we all need to find a way to stay.  Our relocation to Philippines was disrupted by Covid when our flight (and all others to Manila) was canceled two days before departure - Manila straight into full-blown lockdown.  We were here on visa exempt only for purpose of wrapping up our relocation detail after letting retirement extension lapse. We had already sold our car and partially shipped household goods.  So, according to many TVF pundits, we are currently "abusing" the system and should just scatter to our various passport countries. 

In any case, following is the short version of what happened at CW and MTT.

First stop, CW:

Retirement Non-O conversion (from visa exempt):  DENIED.  I am eligible and have had over 800k in bank for months, but my wife and child are under 50 and dependent visas absolutely cannot be processed in Thailand.  Even for myself alone, I would have been denied without first extending my visa exempt (see below). I had been assured by an agent that non-O for dependent was now available due to Covid, but she was obviously wrong (she uses Pattaya for visas, if that matters).

Education visa: DENIED (and with attitude).  My 4-yr old son attends an international preschool in BKK, cost north of 400k+ yr).  The school provided plenty of documentation for us. Response: Child is eligible but since on "grace period" must get 30-day extension to apply. This must be done at MTT (see below).  Asked for about guardian visa for wife/mother: DENIED with suggestion to leave Thailand and return.  Yes, leave the 4-yr old and return (never). So basically impossible.

Off to MTT:

30-day extension of visa exempt: DENIED.  Must have embassy letter even if haven't used one-time extension.  In our case, that involves two different embassies and there seems to no assurance that extension would be granted in any case.

So, if we are forced to leave (to who knows where, since it must be as a family and we have no viable options), Thailand will lose the 2.5+ million baht we spend annually (rent 1.5M, Intl school 400k, local spending 600K+) with no way to replace it.  For certain, our condo would remain vacant (landlord already lost tenant for his other unit in the building -- impossible to rent with no expats).  Yes, I know, a drop in the bucket...small price to be rid of the likes of us? I didn't realize we were so undesirable until recently....  On a positive note for Thailand, I am sure we could easily be replaced by high-quality big-spending Phuket tourists!

P.S.  Kindly PM me with any high-quality agent suggestions. For us it would be expensive (double or triple fees), so am sure agents will be happy to "help"

Edited by eppic
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

@eppic - sorry, sounds like a bad day.

So they said if you can get a +30 (via the letter) you would be able to try for the Non-O or Edu visa? If so you might as well do everything you can to try get the letters.

And there's still a chance amnesty will be extended. Also, as the week goes on, we should know whether this "extension stamp" is being rolled out or not - that could potentially help you too. Chin up. 

p"

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, greggraham said:

So they said if you can get a +30 (via the letter) you would be able to try for the Non-O or Edu visa? If so you might as well do everything you can to try get the letters.

And there's still a chance amnesty will be extended. Also, as the week goes on, we should know whether this "extension stamp" is being rolled out or not - that could potentially help you too. Chin up. 

p"

Thanks, but the +30 day (assuming it can be had with embassy letter) would only be helpful for my son's education visa or my own Non-O.  No option for my wife to stay as a dependent or guardian under any scenario.  Obviously, if my wife goes, we all go.  This means an agency would be the only theoretical option (and most of them have said in-country dependent visa also cannot be done).

There was no sign of any free "official extension stamp" at CW or MTT today. We replaced our son's expiring passport but new passport stamp was same as the old, expired in April, nothing about Sep 26, ineligible for ED without extension, and no ability to extend without an embassy letter.

We would be more than happy to leave Thailand if we had any other reasonable option that would accept all of us (Philippines a no-go for foreseeable future)

Edited by eppic

@eppic thank you for this report. There are now several reports that you can't extend a visa exempt in the normal way at MTT and no reports that you can. You're asking for recommendations for high quality agents but I'm not sure they really exist. They're all dodgy in their own way but it's clear what the most popular one in Bangkok is even if it's had a bit of bad press recently.

Unfortunately the mix of nationalities, age groups and circumstances doesn't make the OP's situation any easier.

Even if an agent can get the situation sorted for one or both of the adults that still leaves the minor in limbo. Not sure a minor can by itself be issued an Education Visa by the school.

Considering the OP appears to be very comfortable financially maybe the Family Extension Elite Visa is an appropriate and suitable solution? Although a bit late to apply for that right now.

Edited by FlyingThai
Typo

7 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

Unfortunately the mix of nationalities, age groups and circumstances doesn't make the OP's situation any easier.

Even if an agent can get the situation sorted for one or both of the adults that still leaves the minor in limbo. Not sure a minor can by itself be issued an Education Visa by the school.

Considering the OP appears to be very comfortable financially maybe the Family Extension Elite Visa is an appropriate and suitable solution? Although a bit late to apply for that right now.

An agent can certainly sort things out a lot cheaper than the elite visa rip-off. A medical visa might be a good option for all parties and only cost 20,000 each for 3 months.

4 hours ago, greggraham said:

p"

When I enquired about a Non-O, I was told applications needed to be in by the 11th September. If applied while on a presumed additional extension after September 26, it would be refused.

I wonder what the specific reason was for refusing the Non-O  in this case. What an awful situation to be in.

The only place I can think of that lets everybody in (nationality wise without a visa), and is open for tourism, is Maldives. And no quarantine for tourists.

30 days visa exempt extendable for another 60 days.

Alternatively, Cambodia with some "business invitations" plus quarantine.

Or Thailand with medical visas via agent, as another poster suggested.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, eppic said:

...There was no sign of any free "official extension stamp" at CW or MTT today...

Check out this new topic posted today:

And this post in another topic:

It appears to be important to go to the correct building and to the correct counter at MTT, as the officials at other counters do not seem to know about this "free stamp"

• Like 1