No more PayPal registrations this year

On 9/1/2020 at 1:29 PM, Pravda said:

Asked wife what's that all about and she thinks its Thai government pulling the same trick irs, cra and the rest of the bandits did when they wanted access to PayPal database for mega sellers. 

Must be true, then, if that's what she thinks.

On 9/1/2020 at 3:11 PM, Barnabe said:

If you like to get ripped off paying up to 20% over the mid market exchange rate then PayPal is a fantastic option.

If you like the convenience of using your PayPal account and a couple of baht isn't the end of the world, then PayPal is a fantastic option.

Edited by Hi Tea

On 9/1/2020 at 1:39 PM, fangless said:

I think your heading is very misleading/scaremongering and should be changed to "No more PayPal registrations in Thailand"

On 9/1/2020 at 5:33 PM, fangless said:

I object strongly to the misleading/scaremongering OP Heading and your comments above prove to me that you have a hidden agenda to just bash PayPal 

23 hours ago, fangless said:

Can the OP please ask the MODS to rename this stream. It is misleading. They have only stopped registration, not trading.  A huge difference!

Jesus...just use the "Report" button if your (100% incorrect) interpretation of the title bothers you so much!

23 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Your heading is appropriate, we're on a Thailand forum and thats all it needs, ignore those who bizarrely think you have a hidden agenda.

I wonder why new registrations have been removed until 2021? Pain in the backside for those who have an online business here

But you are already registered? So it shouldn't be a problem should it?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hi Tea said:

Jesus...just use the "Report" button if your (100% incorrect) interpretation of the title bothers you so much!

I did! and it was changed after most of the early responses had been made.  I suggest you read the first few posts.

Edited by fangless

5 hours ago, digger70 said:

He said Registration Not Trading .Put you're Glasses on and Read his Post Again .

Cool down and get of you're high Horse.

Sorry; try reading the first few posts.  The heading has now been reworded to my satisfaction but done so late that the scaremongering damage has already been done.

PS; I just wish there had been a post by whoever changed the title eventually with a time stamp so that some of the now irrelevant posts would not have made or needed!

Edited by fangless

30 minutes ago, fangless said:

Sorry; try reading the first few posts.  The heading has now been reworded to my satisfaction but done so late that the scaremongering damage has already been done.

PS; I just wish there had been a post by whoever changed the title eventually with a time stamp so that some of the now irrelevant posts would not have made or needed!

Omg omg someone call the police

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, fangless said:

It's ok dude . I didn't see Any changes from when I red it the first time . But Hey  I may haven't seen all of them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, digger70 said:

It's ok dude . I didn't see Any changes from when I red it the first time . But Hey  I may haven't seen all of them.

Yes I agree! You could not follow the thread properly as there was no indication that the heading changed and so many posts make no sense now.

Edited by fangless

4 hours ago, Barnabe said:

You can get a MasterCard linked to your Transferwise account and use it everywhere where MasterCard is accepted (even eBay) and to get hard currency from ATM all over the world.

It looks like also Transferwise don't trust Thailand anymore because  it is not possible to get a mastercard.

When you try you'll get the message the don't have yet in Thailand.

6 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

It looks like also Transferwise don't trust Thailand anymore because  it is not possible to get a mastercard.

When you try you'll get the message the don't have yet in Thailand.

Is it the companies not trusting Thailand or the other way round.  

1 hour ago, Hi Tea said:

Asked wife what's that all about and she thinks its Thai government pulling the same trick irs, cra and the rest of the bandits did when they wanted access to PayPal database for mega sellers

This is the OP and under the new heading I would be interested in an explanation as to what it is referring to.  I.E "cra" and "PayPal database for mega sellers".

I am not trying to be funny or anything else.  It is a serious question.

Shame about the Transferwise debit card not being available in Thailand, their service is really good. If you have a Euro or UK address you can easily get it, it's totally worth it.

The baht is a very controlled currency, I'm suprised Trump doesn't have it in his crosshairs. Thailand is technically a "currency manipulator". I guess bigger fish to fry, China is far worse.

On 9/1/2020 at 6:11 PM, fangless said:

Wrong.  https://www.paypal.com/th/webapps/mpp/2021relaunch?locale.x=en_TH

The OP is implying that PayPal is no longer available in Thailand. Totally wrong and misleading

Our existing customers in Thailand can continue to use PayPal services to shop and pay online at millions of stores, and get paid easily and securely.

I just love PayPal's "non-answer" as to Why they stopped registering new customers.   

Why did this happen?

We are always working to offer the best payments experience for our customers. We have temporarily paused account registration for new customers while we prepare to relaunch PayPal Thailand in 2021.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, UncleBob999 said:

I am actually thinking of doing the same - use my Aussie Paypal when in Thailand - only login/use when connected online to an Aussie server via VPN (same as for any online banking).  I have done that in the past during our visits and there has been no problems so far.  Because we intend to spend more time in Thailand in the future, I was looking into opening a Thailand Paypal account in the wife's name - not likely now.

Maybe to many dodgy deals going on in Thailand with Paypal, we have been getting and a few iffy emails recently and a friend of mine said the same

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2020 at 3:11 PM, Barnabe said:

If you like to get ripped off paying up to 20% over the mid market exchange rate then PayPal is a fantastic option.

I use PayPal for my eBay shopping all the time. Where am I charged 20% over the mid-market exchange rate?

image.png.7fb1d400eacd805fb326dcb4a191ccd6.png

The exchange rate offered me right now for USD is: 30.057 THB

From Superrich, which has far better exchange than all banks in Thailand, I can get this:

image.png.b5400f2320a6cb7768c578c2a334bdba.png

For your statement to be true, I would have to get rate from Paypal of 36 THB for 1 USD, or 6 THB more, not 0.057 THB more.

Your post is a total biased BS.

Edited by tomazbodner

2 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I use PayPal for my eBay shopping all the time. Where am I charged 20% over the mid-market exchange rate?

image.png.7fb1d400eacd805fb326dcb4a191ccd6.png

The exchange rate offered me right now for USD is: 30.057 THB

From Superrich, which has far better exchange than all banks in Thailand, I can get this:

image.png.b5400f2320a6cb7768c578c2a334bdba.png

For your statement to be true, I would have to get rate from Paypal of 36 THB for 1 USD, or 6 THB more, not 0.057 THB more.

Your post is a total biased BS.

Except you’re comparing apples to oranges, this is the eBay conversion fee, not PayPal. In other words, eBay does the conversion for you, not PayPal.

Check the actual PayPal website before talking your own BS:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees#transfers

Converting payments in another currency

“4.00%, or such other amount as may be disclosed to you during the transaction.”

So 4% is the MINIMUM. I have been charged almost 20% for receiving money + conversion + withdrawal from EUR to GBP, stopped using it since then.

Receiving the same on my Transferwise account I get charged up to 0.50% for the conversion plus €0.65 for withdrawal to my bank account.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barnabe said:

So 4% is the MINIMUM. I have been charged almost 20% for receiving money + conversion + withdrawal from EUR to GBP, stopped using it since then.

Receiving the same on my Transferwise account I get charged up to 0.50% for the conversion plus €0.65 for withdrawal to my bank account.

Never used it to transfer to a bank account. Most people I know use PayPal to pay for goods, or if receiving, keep the amount in PayPal and use it for purchases. I've used it to purchase stuff online, including hotels, plane tickets, eBay, Lazada in the past but now they don't allow it anymore, Amazon, etc. Don't see it really be suitable as transfer to bank account service any more than Western Union.

As for what I got charged on eBay - the transfers made in past 6 months came within a few THB from eBay's estimate when appearing in credit card statement.

While I would disagree PayPal is total rubbish as you state, it is not suitable for your use, that I can agree with.

• Haha 1

On 12/31/2020 at 1:58 PM, tomazbodner said:

Most people I know use PayPal to pay for goods, or if receiving, keep the amount in PayPal and use it for purchases.

Correct.

The main purpose of PayPal is to be a secure third party that holds your credit card details for the purpose of online purchases.

On 12/31/2020 at 1:58 PM, tomazbodner said:

While I would disagree PayPal is total rubbish as you state, it is not suitable for your use, that I can agree with.

True. 

PayPal was never designed to have the full functionality of a bank.   

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...