China-Laos rail connection will cut down on logistics cost, time for Thailand

snoop1130

China-Laos rail connection will cut down on logistics cost, time for Thailand

By THE NATION

800_9f557e6b1f80297.jpg

The Department of International Trade Promotion’s representative in the Chinese port city of Guangzhou said a railway between China and Laos will be beneficial for Thailand as well.

The representative said this new railway will save around two days in the transfer of goods from China to Thailand compared to the current R3A highway, which covers an extended part of China and Laos before ending in Chiang Rai’s Chiang Khong district.

The railway should also cut down on transportation costs by two fold, the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning said.

Hence, it will be easier for products from China to penetrate the Thai market, while Thailand’s agricultural goods will have a cheaper channel for transportation.

Recent reports say the rail-line between China’s Kunming city with the Laotian capital Vientiane is nearly 91 per cent complete. This 1,000-kilometre railway track is part of the Belt and Road initiative and should go into operation by December 2021.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30393847

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-01

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Fear China for what they do right.  This is a blinding example of doing the right thing, and how the global elite sit on their hands.  A railway, who could have thought that up?  Rail in China is amazing, Newt Gingrich says as much.  It goes everywhere.  It is on time.  It is affordable.  It will make China unstoppable. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

Fear China for what they do right.  This is a blinding example of doing the right thing, and how the global elite sit on their hands.  A railway, who could have thought that up?  Rail in China is amazing, Newt Gingrich says as much.  It goes everywhere.  It is on time.  It is affordable.  It will make China unstoppable. 

So true - the audacity of them to build something to make the world prosper. Contrast that to the mindset of the West, that the best way to keep the plebs busy is by bombing and destroying things - although there is certain ingenuity in it: make money building bombs and make money rebuilding what the bombs destroy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

China many centuries ago dominated the world, and they are going to do it again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/1/2020 at 4:06 AM, bluesofa said:

What's the level of completion from Bangkok to Nong Khai?

Last year , along route 21 heading north there were lots of signs put up along the side of the road saying a fast train would be coming. They got flyblown, fell down and were finally removed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Isn't it the same in Europe, Japan, and other countries?  I guess they too are unstoppable. China didn't invent trains~even high speed ones, but they have perfected copying.  Nobody even knows who Gingrich is anymore~he was probably amazed at diesel trains, when they came out.

China is at an advantage because corruption in transitions is encouraged, and anything goes, as long as it benefits the state

Edited by Redline
  • Like 2

This will greatly benefit China, but it will keep Thailand where it is now~an agricultural and tourist economy, where agriculture is often subsidized by the government.  China will be happy to move more goods, and feed their people at the expense of Thailand.

• Like 2

On 9/2/2020 at 10:11 AM, mistral53 said:

So true - the audacity of them to build something to make the world prosper. Contrast that to the mindset of the West, that the best way to keep the plebs busy is by bombing and destroying things - although there is certain ingenuity in it: make money building bombs and make money rebuilding what the bombs destroy.

In this instances, yes.   China has done the smartest thing possible.  

Was having a beer at a bar/package store near my apartment in China.   A westerner stops in for a drink.   Turned out he was from a city near where I grew up.   He taught English in Taiwan for many years.  Now he works for a famous Beijing university assessing English language programs in south China.  The Chinese just keep forging ahead, while the west does all kind of odd, non practical things.  There are 450 electric car companies in China.  The west had Elon Musk. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2020 at 9:27 PM, herfiehandbag said:

Now, I am, as those who "know me" (in the internet sense) will be aware, A Bear of Very Little Brain. I am confused (my normal waking state). Is this a high speed passenger railway, as the photo accompanying the Original Post rather suggests, or a freight railway. The two are rather different beasts - I may be  A Bear of Very Little Brain but I do know my trains! 

Of course you can run passenger trains on lines also used by freight, but the sleek long nosed bullet trains depicted? Perhaps not.

Having previous experience years ago on railway systems I can assure everyone here that you don't carry goods on a high speed rail system, so me thinks 160 Kmh for passenger 120 for goods.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, yellowboat said:

There are 450 electric car companies in China.  The west had Elon Musk. 

I'd have a Tesla over any of those Chinese junk boxes any time. Quality, not quantity. Although those too are manufactured in China. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I'd have a Tesla over any of those Chinese junk boxes any time. Quality, not quantity. Although those too are manufactured in China. 

You do realize Tesla and quality are mutually exclusive?

https://electrek.co/2020/06/24/tesla-ranks-lowest-on-j-d-power-2020-quality-study/

But don't let that stop you in your quest to bash everything made in China.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

You do realize Tesla and quality are mutually exclusive?

https://electrek.co/2020/06/24/tesla-ranks-lowest-on-j-d-power-2020-quality-study/

But don't let that stop you in your quest to bash everything made in China.

You might notice there aren't any Chinese EV brands in that study at all. I don't think they could make a low enough ranking. And yes, anything made in China should be avoided like the plague. No money for CCP means they'll eventually collapse by themselves. Isolate them like a hemorroid with a piece of string.

Edited by DrTuner

On 9/1/2020 at 3:27 AM, herfiehandbag said:

Is this a high speed passenger railway, as the photo accompanying the Original Post rather suggests, or a freight railway. The two are rather different beasts - I may be  A Bear of Very Little Brain but I do know my trains!

From what I read previously, it would be break-bulk loaded, maybe pallets— but not containerized freight. Seems like a very odd strategy, but I assume there is a reason... like troop movements or something...