Budget airline AirAsia to start charging customers for checking in at airport counters

snoop1130

Budget airline AirAsia to start charging customers for checking in at airport counters

2020-09-01T054052Z_1_LYNXMPEG80225_RTROPTP_4_AIRASIA-GROUP-RESULTS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: AirAsia planes are seen parked at Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2, during the movement control order due to the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Sepang, Malaysia April 14, 2020. REUTERS/Lim Huey Teng/File Photo

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Cash-strapped budget airline AirAsia Group Bhd said on Tuesday it would begin charging customers a fee to check in at airport counters, in part to encourage them to minimise physical contact with staff during the coronavirus pandemic.

Travellers who do not check in via the airline's website, mobile app or airport kiosk will be charged 20 Malaysian ringgit (3.60 pounds) for domestic flights and 30 Malaysian ringgit for international flights, though some exceptions will apply.

AirAsia Group Chief Operations Officer Javed Malik said the fees would help motivate travellers to make use of the airline's investment in digital technology.

"In view of the COVID-19 pandemic, these self-check-in facilities have become very crucial in minimising physical contact between our guests and staff," he said in a statement.

AirAsia last month reported the biggest quarterly loss in its history due to the devastating impact the pandemic has had on travel demand, with revenue down 96%.

The airline said it had applied for bank loans in its operating markets and had been presented with proposals from investment bankers, lenders and potential investors to raise capital.

The new AirAsia check-in fees are well below European budget carrier Ryanair Holdings's PLC <RYA.I> 55 euro (49.18 pounds) charge for airport check-in, which was put in place before the pandemic.

U.S. low-cost carrier Spirit Airlines charges $10 for boarding passes to be printed at the airport, according to its website.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-09-01

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

On the bright side: busines class nowadays is the same price as economy 40 years ago, if you take into account our average income

On the gloomy side: bussines class nowadays is comparable to economy 40 years ago

PS. Steven seems a little deppy today?

pardon my lack of intellectual upbringing ...  what is deppy  ? 

Edited by steven100

24 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:
51 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

would begin charging customers a fee to check in at airport counters

Yea I can see that taking off n'all .. 

Well it would be easier - what with the customer's wallets being considerably lighter after check-in.

42 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Air travel will never be the same again .... higher prices ...less customers ....   sh..it service.

Its a thing of the past.

QUOTE: Its a thing of the past.

So it's back to steamships? Zeppelins?

Or on to Virtual Travel?

Well, AirAsia wouldn't be the first airline to do this.

In the US, low cost carrier Spirit Airlines has been charging for counter check-in for at least a couple of years. (In their defense, they have automated check-in kiosks located near the counter for those who want to avoid the extra charge).  In the ultimate display of cheapness, Spirit charges an extra fee if you want to use the overhead bin for your carry on bag. How they enforce that, I have no idea.  Strangely enough, use of the overhead bin costs more than checking the bag at the counter. Additionally, there's a steep upcharge for paying baggage fees on the date of departure as opposed to pre-paying at the time of booking.  In some cases, the fee to bring a bag onboard is more than the passenger's ticket.

I wouldn't be surprised to see low cost Asian carriers like AirAsia copy the fee structures other airlines in the West seem to be getting away with.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mr mr said:

what a great idea. nothing says we are unaware that we may not even be a business a year from now like raising prices when you have no customers. next up is standing room seating like those stand up roller coasters. 

attention passengers this is your captain speaking. for those of you in standing room please allow the hostess to come around and check your crotch barrier guard. 

thank you for flying with us today. 

Reality beats imagination.

Michael O'Leary, the man that makes me NOT fly Ryanair, has already floated that idea !!!

• Like 1

I fly in and out of CM se to see the lines at air asia, told my self never fly those guys and I have not. A friend was coming up to CM from BKK he said what airline I say anything but air asia. Do you think he listen nah after all the add on flight cost him more than the Bangkok Air flight would have plus long lines.

• Like 2

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. I mean it's a very easy charge to avoid isn't it.

I've not flown a lot these past few years, but every time I have, I've checked in on-line, without, do note, there being any financial incentive to do so. It's just so convenient.

8 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Are people that useless/lazy that they still go to a physical check in counter ?

That must be me then.

I had no idea you could check-in online to avoid any human interaction, even though I've booked flights for my in-laws in recent years.

Mind you I haven't been on a plane for years, the last one I went on had an outside toilet.

• Haha 1