Budget airline AirAsia to start charging customers for checking in at airport counters

snoop1130

16 hours ago, steven100 said:

Damn <deleted> thiefs ..... I'm absolutely disgusted with AA and AAGO ..

they can shove their airline up where the sun don't shine.

In the case of airplanes they should dismount wings and tails first, it's easier to insert and, ...  less vulnerable

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Has Air Asia already thought of this Ryan Air / TUI money maker?

If you book for 2 passengers flying together, you may be seated far

separately, unless you both pay for seat reservation.

Most of the low cost airlines do this, including AA, Scoot, Jetstar, etc...

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Has Air Asia already thought of this Ryan Air / TUI money maker?

If you book for 2 passengers flying together, you may be seated far

separately, unless you both pay for seat reservation.

Why doesn't one person check in on line and allow the airline to randomly select a seat (free) and then the other one pay for the neighbouring seat.  It would half the cost if nothing else.

On 9/1/2020 at 7:31 PM, bluesofa said:

It doesn't say they will rescind the charge once the pandemic is over. I expect they will keep it in place permanently.

Ok I check in online and it says"sorry sir you will need to go for document check "

So is that my problem or theirs 

4 hours ago, treetops said:

Why doesn't one person check in on line and allow the airline to randomly select a seat (free) and then the other one pay for the neighbouring seat.  It would half the cost if nothing else.

Trying to outsmart Ryanair or TUI? NO.... you will receive your seat number only after some time....

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, biggles45 said:

It has nothing to do with distancing under cv19. If you do online check in you still have to queue at a counter to have your documents checked and your bags dropped! Or are they gonna charge for that as well. 

Correct! Happened to me with many airlines.

27 minutes ago, rosst said:

Ok I check in online and it says"sorry sir you will need to go for document check "

So is that my problem or theirs 

Depends on the starting and ending points of your trip. I have flown from KL to Sydney without document checks and only QR boarding pass on my phone.

21 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Trying to outsmart Ryanair or TUI? NO.... you will receive your seat number only after some time....

In theory is possible, as long as the seats next to the randomly allocated one are not allocated yet. AA allows check-in 2 weeks beforehand and the random seat is allocated immediately during the check in. You can log in 5 min later and try to pay the seat next to the random seat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2020 at 9:17 PM, steven100 said:

Damn <deleted> thiefs ..... I'm absolutely disgusted with AA and AAGO ..

they can shove their airline up where the sun don't shine.

AA is the best low cost airline around, if not in the world. I probably had 50+ flights with them so far, most of them trouble free. If you purchase tickets in advance, you can get some fantastic deals, a few years ago I bought tickes for me and my gf Surat Thani->Chiang Mai->Bangkok->Surat Thani, 6 tickets, around 2900 baht total.

I often transport my bicycle with flights,  AA has simply the best and easiest conditions to fly a bicycle.

I have a return ticket KL-Sydney next Feb with 40kg sporting equipment on the way back, hopefully they'll be still around ????  Paid $270 AUD total.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

Document check is on a different counter, you shouldn't pay as it is "document check", not "check-in", you've checked in already.

Yes that is true ---- different counter ---- but what is that to me, the passenger? I still call it "checking in", even if that is not the proper technical term, especially if this includes a queue

But back to checking in.... When i fly, I am always a little bit excited (as in nervous), and I like it when somebody (not a computer or machine) tells me "OK, there you go".

But then again, I am a dinosaur that likes buying things in Mom&Pop shops, 7 11's, possibly supermarkets, but surely not on that Lazada thing, or whatever it is called.

On 9/1/2020 at 12:31 PM, bluesofa said:

It doesn't say they will rescind the charge once the pandemic is over. I expect they will keep it in place permanently.

A bit like the fuel surcharge. It was (understandably) introduced serveral years ago when oil was +/- $140 a barrel, now oil is +/- $45 the charge is still there.

• Like 2