It's Getting Worse...More Shops Closing Down

Pattaya Spotter

14 minutes ago, Poet said:

In the context of businesses being able to remain open, he clearly meant "no tourists with money".

Yup. That's the reason that Thais can't be tourists: we don't allow that any Thais have money.

14 minutes ago, Poet said:

Domestic tourists clearly have different tastes and levels of expenditure. Businesses that have evolved over many years to appeal to foreign tastes do not do so well with Thai tourists.

Yup. Businesses that have evolved over many years, or fewer, to appeal to Thai tastes, or to foreign as well as Thai, do well with Thai tourists and some foreigners still here for whatever reason.

Edited by BigStar
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, warcy said:

As long as the government fellows still get their salaries paid every month to their bank accounts, this situation of business closing is ignored.

No. They weekly come out with a new scheme for opening up the country.

11 minutes ago, warcy said:

After all, the domestic tourism can prop them up, implies the government.

Seems generally helpful, actually. You may be confusing spending with revenue generated, a common mistake here.

• Haha 1

being stuck outside of thailand currently in the uk, it is hard to comment on business closures. what i can say though from my wife is that in the estate where we live in pattaya, whilst the normal for rent/sale houses numbered about 5 usually in 400, this is now closer to 30. And no-one is coming to rent them even with prices dropping, as for sales, people move in one day assuming the bank will say yes, only to disappear a day later when the banks say no

• Like 2

I agree it's getting worse by the week in Central Pattaya purely looking at the number of people around who would translate into custom for businesses. Whilst I enjoy the more pleasant less congested environment it is a little depressing seeing so many businesses shuttered up and places that are open pretty much devoid of customers. 

Sundown when the joggers etc hit beach road is the nicest time when a bit of life returns to the place, but it doesn't translate into much business for central outlets. 

They'll hopefully be a bit more than average here this long weekend for a mini boost but it's not going to change the downward trend at the moment in my view. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

being stuck outside of thailand currently in the uk, it is hard to comment on business closures. what i can say though from my wife is that in the estate where we live in pattaya, whilst the normal for rent/sale houses numbered about 5 usually in 400, this is now closer to 30. And no-one is coming to rent them even with prices dropping, as for sales, people move in one day assuming the bank will say yes, only to disappear a day later when the banks say no

I also have noticed that there are far more for rent and sale boards ,on older properties when we are out ,as my wife looks after quite a few  ,but was talking to our sons girlfriend who is an agent on new estates, business is very good ,no change due to covid she reckons . in fact she is very busy.

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Pattaya for the expat is the best it's been for years, a pity those out the country can't enjoy it

Keep them out I say....that,s why Patts is so good now,selfish attitude I know but it,s the truth :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

20200826_183437.thumb.jpg.eb7f7686ae28e528664d82a1152e220a.jpg

Starbucks at Beach Road and Yamato closed...

20200826_183521.thumb.jpg.5c3c87538eba1f9efe08337204b649ed.jpg

McDonald's Beach and Post Office closed...

20200826_184316.thumb.jpg.a6cf2e23f9bbb2ece9cec99fbce82e79.jpg

McDonald's near Walking Street closed...

20200826_184114.thumb.jpg.166c8ded7ee42eb5e633517c3ccac313.jpg

OMG...a closed 7-Eleven Beach and Pattayaland

20200826_184352.thumb.jpg.25469131ea7c390263a29afcbc622d48.jpg

Alt Heidelberg near Walking Street still plugging along!

Some photos from a recent walk along Beach Road around sunset.

20200826_183437.jpg

Things are really bad if starbucks is shut twice, lol

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Just as an example, I sat in a bar in Soi Made In Thailand for an hour between 8-9 p.m., and MAYBE there were 50-75 customers sitting at the bars or wandered through. At least half the bars were shuttered. 

Being a full-timer, I appreciate the drop in traffic and crowds as much as anyone, but it's too the point where it's eerie and there is a lot of undeserved pain out there.

I,ve been coming (now living) for 13 years and never once have I been attracted to this bar complex...if they had that number of customers they are doing well....New Plaza has died,LK and Buakhow are pretty busy but after the 26th what will happen no one knows :unsure:

As an aside I,ve been down to Ao Nang Krabi a couple of times lately....now that place is really dead.

1 minute ago, petermik said:

I,ve been coming (now living) for 13 years and never once have I been attracted to this bar complex...if they had that number of customers they are doing well....New Plaza has died,LK and Buakhow are pretty busy but after the 26th what will happen no one knows :unsure:

As an aside I,ve been down to Ao Nang Krabi a couple of times lately....now that place is really dead.

As I said...it's just an example...not an opinion if it's a good bar complex or not. In "normal times," the place would be crowded with punters. I'm sure Krabi is even deader...the Holiday Inn in Ao Nang has been closed for months...my understanding is they plan to re-open October 1st.

3 minutes ago, polpott said:

3. Western tourists never return in appreciable numbers.

I have no doubt that tourists will return and businesses will re-open once the pandemic is truly in the rear-view mirror. When that is is still a guess...at least 2-3 years is my best guess (for full on normality) but it does nothing to mitigate the business and personal losses taking place right now and in the interim.

• Like 2