It's Getting Worse...More Shops Closing Down

Pattaya Spotter

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Its certainly a sad situation in some parts but you can also find areas were its business as usual, maybe even a bit busier than pre-covid.

The for sale signs in soi sexpat has never been an indicator of the broader Thai economy.

My local area in Jomtien, yes the place that was selling 300 baht hamburgers to tourists has shutdown, but the local Thai restaurant is business as usual. The local mom and pop hardware doing ok with a sign out for staff wanted. The local wet market looks as busy as its always been.

My op noted, as you too report, that non-tourist areas are basically normal, like my home on the Darkside. This doesn't do anything for all those employed and invested in the tourist areas. As Pattaya is a tourism town, central Pattaya is the main economic engine of the area, and one wonders if soon there will be spillover effects in other areas.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

20200826_183437.thumb.jpg.eb7f7686ae28e528664d82a1152e220a.jpg

Starbucks at Beach Road and Yamato closed...

20200826_183521.thumb.jpg.5c3c87538eba1f9efe08337204b649ed.jpg

McDonald's Beach and Post Office closed...

20200826_184316.thumb.jpg.a6cf2e23f9bbb2ece9cec99fbce82e79.jpg

McDonald's near Walking Street closed...

20200826_184114.thumb.jpg.166c8ded7ee42eb5e633517c3ccac313.jpg

OMG...a closed 7-Eleven Beach and Pattayaland

20200826_184352.thumb.jpg.25469131ea7c390263a29afcbc622d48.jpg

Alt Heidelberg near Walking Street still plugging along!

Some photos from a recent walk along Beach Road around sunset.

20200826_183437.jpg

The closed businesses above have never reopened since the lockdown. They were exactly the same 2 weeks ago. Speaking of Pattayaland, I noticed yesterday (again) that the Shamrock bar is open and made a mental note to stop by for a beer sometime for old times' sake.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

being stuck outside of thailand currently in the uk, it is hard to comment on business closures. what i can say though from my wife is that in the estate where we live in pattaya, whilst the normal for rent/sale houses numbered about 5 usually in 400, this is now closer to 30. And no-one is coming to rent them even with prices dropping, as for sales, people move in one day assuming the bank will say yes, only to disappear a day later when the banks say no

I do think the number of rent/sale signs has increased just recently around Pattaya. Lemme preempt our doomsters: it's going to get worse and worse. Sure might, but we'll see.

10 hours ago, warcy said:

As long as the government fellows still get their salaries paid every month to their bank accounts, this situation of business closing is ignored.

After all, the domestic tourism can prop them up, implies the government.

ok. And what do those people do with their vast amounts of money?  Change it into coins and play in the piles like Scrooge McDuck?  Thais are spending their money.

Yes, i understand that a vacation based  city is having problems. What did people expect when the principal reason for  its existence was one principal industry?     Yes, some retail outlets are  hit, but are these quality retailers?

Look at who is closing: Usually a small dirty stall that sells the same  items as a dozen dirty little stalls all within spitting distance. They were marginal operations. Yes some fastfood retail outlets have closed.  They were traffic driven and there is no traffic now.  Their outlets in other  regions are doing just fine.   Retailers like Homepro and Tesco are doing just fine. Uniqlo, H&M are still chugging along.  And underpinning all this is the continued growth of online sales. The days of small shops selling  similar products are coming to an end, Online retailers are  taking their customers.  Delivery firms are  taking away the need to visit a food outlet.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes it is a slow rotting of the City now. Coincidentally, I noticed yesterday on Soi Buakhao that a small restuarant had given up and closed, not making enough to cover the rent. Also talking to a guy with 2 shops telling me he would likely close one of them and amalgamate, the reason being one owner would not give him a break on the rent, obviously that would be the one to be closed. So next step is landlords making little money, but first killing off the businesses due to their own intransigence.

Some of these businesses will merely reopen elsewhere, a point often ignored. I know of case similar to the above. The Indian Thai landlord refused to lower the rent, so the business simply moved 2 doors where the landlord charged reasonably for the times. The old location is now vacant. In another case of a long-standing very successful business, the owners had a talk w/ the landlord and won immediate relief. They then also changed the opening hours, cut back on staff (regrettable but necessary), and are currently doing well enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AlfHuy said:

I have been out with a friend last Saturday.

First we went to a few bars around Phrom Pong and they were almost empty.

Later he took me to Patong (never been there before/honest). This place was completely empty too.

I believe you mean Patpong ....  it's been dead for ages.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Guderian said:

in fact I've been pleasantly surprised that the availability of farang-oriented food in Pattaya (like top-quality imported steak and fresh bread) has not declined at all since the start of the pandemic

In Big C extra, farang oriented ready made food is almost non- existent since about a month.

I used to shop at Big C extra almost daily, now I go there once a week, and still wonder why I even bother.

The imported farang food I believe is mostly products ordered months ago, but I have such a feeling that it will disappear also soon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think anyone is/was expecting Central Pattaya supermarkets or global/local chains in T21 or Central to close, we'd have to be in real trouble if that started to happen. The reduced activity in those malls is to be expected, I've no doubt tourist spend was a significant part of their business model whether it's shop purchases or the couple of floors that are eatery orientated. That's why they were built in the first place. They are most able to weather the storm. 

4 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

And good for businesses that are able to adapt...but it doesn't change the fact that 70-80% of the businesses along the main arterials of Beach and Second Road are closed. Sure they depended on foreign tourists and they havent been here for 7 months but doesn't make the situation any better. Just commenting on these unprecedented times.

Which is better than 100% and about the same as 2 weeks ago, no matter the exact percentage--which is anyone's guess, but it's quite high, certainly. Sadly. Who doesn't know that? Now the ABSOLUTE FINAL DEATH BY VIRUS of Pattaya was promptly trumpeted at the beginning the pandemic. Some businesses were already closed, BTW--everything has been closing down since 2010--and we've had an active death watch thread running since last August.

Yes, yes, the pandemic has indeed taken a heavy toll, much as it has worldwide esp in areas depending on international tourism. Nobody knows the future but everyone has an opinion to express--repeatedly.

What does unquestionably and obviously make the situation better is when businesses are able to adapt and stay open or find ways to open. What if I dared say there's gon' be more of that? OMG. The current Spaniard in the works for the exclusively farang-oriented businesses is the Sept 27 deadline. We'll see if that holds or gets worked around.

• Like 1

On the darkside, as you state, there are alot of expats who continue to support their local establishments, and it might not be a boon city, but it is enough for them to remain in business. Elsewhere, the nation is hurting. Some places seem to be thriving, while most are just hanging on. Spending is way, way down. Income is way, way down. Government assistance and creative programs to help the lower income majority, is virtually non existent. So, where is all of this going to lead when they cannot even agree to let ANY and ALL foreigners in, who are willing to pay for, and subject themselves to quarantine? Such timidity and a stunning lack of courage on the part of the administration. So weak. So incompetent. My heart goes out to the average Thai. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Susco said:

In Big C extra, farang oriented ready made food is almost non- existent since about a month.

I was shopping there recently, it seemed normal, plenty of pies and baked stuff. I buy steaks there which are farang foodstuffs... they even have whole rows of shelves dedicated to imported footstuffs. Are you talking of something more specific?

Edited by jacko45k

I take my ex and daughter out to dinner twice a month. We often eat on the dark side as there are more restaurants of a decent quality open there. In Pattaya over 50% of Italian/French style restaurants have closed. The big fish restaurants in Walking Street were closed last time I was down there. Its disastrous for the future of tourism in Pattaya until the virus has gone and the unrealistic ideas of the Tourism Authority are gone too.

• Like 1