Cost estimate to replace squat toilet?

creative1000

Just wondering ballpark figure how much to expect to pay a plumber / service guy to rip out a squat toilet and install a new western toilet. 

The squatter is the lower-kind, nearly flush with the ground, but built on a raised concrete bed, higher then the rest of the bathroom. I've read that its critical to go the extra mile to avoid future sewage smells (ie replace some of the pipes & seals underneath) during this type of work.

Not including the toilet itself, how much does this cost? 

Is Home Pro recommended for this type of work? I have 3 of these toilets, wonder if I'll get a better deal with an independent contractor in Chiang Mai?

Thanks in advance.

just be careful not to say {finish the hongnarm} did that a wife's place ,came back to find the whole room demolished .  when i said finish the toilet ,builder thought i meant knock it down.yes we had to put a bigger tank in for the extra water,no trenchers though, tank has no bottom so it acts like a sand filter ,just gets pumped every so often.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Just to throw a spanner. 

How big is the septic serving the loos?

Will it and the drainfield (what drainfield?) be able to cope with the larger volume of flush water from a western loo?

Could be wise to install a "low flush volume" unit. 

This is very true!  Based on the poster the place he has was built for Thais and that usually means a much smaller septic found this first hand. A tenant didn't like my toilet so he removed it and placed a flushing unit next thing he tells me I need to empty the septic no problem two month later again I told him that is on you!  When he moved I removed the toilet and place another that doesn't flush.

As noted I would buy a low flush plus spend at least 2000 baht and up otherwise expect the finish to go after a while.

I had it done but it was about 10 years back. I cannot recall the amount but it was peanuts and certainly not enough to get me heated under the collar enough to remember it. 

You do realise that squat toilets are much healthier, requiring much less straining and consequently fewer issues with constipation and haemorrhoids, don't you? I'm thinking of changing all my toilets back to squatters.

• Haha 2

It also depends on the location of the squat bowl outlet. Simply installing the western toilet on top of this may leave the toilet sitting in the middle of the bathroom, like a sore thumb.

You normally want the cistern nearly against the wall for the most efficient use of space. Our builder installed our (western) toilets in the middle of the floor. I got him to move them  a foot or so back against the wall. I don't know how he sorted the plumbing, but they have been fine.

You might want to buy the toilet first and work out exactly where you want it so the pluming can be done when when they remove the squat.

Depends if you want to do it right or no. 

Right: buy the wax ring from lazada and toilet from HomePro and DIY: price of wax ring & toilet.

Wrong: Get a somchai to install one - get the cheapest possible seat - replace it - it leaks - use 500kg of silicone - it clogs - get a mental breakdown - finally do it the right way after spending about 5x the money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

I had it done but it was about 10 years back. I cannot recall the amount but it was peanuts and certainly not enough to get me heated under the collar enough to remember it. 

You do realise that squat toilets are much healthier, requiring much less straining and consequently fewer issues with constipation and haemorrhoids, don't you? I'm thinking of changing all my toilets back to squatters.

yeap, back to the bush with ya

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

No need to change them.

Buy something like this:

image.jpeg.ff5bfecefc4644110f0ac1cf13d4a1a1.jpeg

Climb up, step over onto the lav rim, perch and drop your steamers from there.

image.jpeg.7968c5738d598fcb0205b090f88fd9fb.jpeg

Edited by Enoon
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

We had a cracked squatter so I took the opportunity to upgrade to a sitter... did the work myself, a no brainer really.

However my  missus would stand on the rim of the bowl and squat same as before why pay for change!

14 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

From  one perspective  you are  correct. However I have found the  damage  done to the forehead as I roll forward in an effort to stand up from a  squat and crash instead to the floor instead results in  great  discomfort.

21 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

My recall is that they use the same size pipe (4" ?), so it should fit up OK.  Just for aesthetics, you might want to have the base removed.  In any case, I would expect not more than B500 to install including running a water line.  (maybe in CM can double that)  Your big cost will be the western toilet as they can range from B1000 to B40000.

Your best bet for labor/contractor will be to ask around.

No need to have a tank. Just replace the toilet and use the existing water supply and bowl. Toilets are available without a water inlet.

Don't even need to change the toilet. Cut a hole in a plastic chair and screw on a seat.

22 hours ago, creative1000 said:

I've read that its critical to go the extra mile to avoid future sewage smells (ie replace some of the pipes & seals underneath) during this type of work.

?????

The new toilet will have a U bend built in for smells, and when the new toilet is installed it will be cemented in- at least that's what happened when my BIL converted one for me.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Enoon said:

No need to change them.

Buy something like this:

image.jpeg.ff5bfecefc4644110f0ac1cf13d4a1a1.jpeg

Climb up, step over onto the lav rim, perch and drop your steamers from there.

image.jpeg.7968c5738d598fcb0205b090f88fd9fb.jpeg

Luxury! On exercise we had to use a stick to sit on. Sometimes we didn't even have a stick.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

16 hours ago, rwill said:

It could vary depending on what needs to be done.  It sounds like maybe the squatter is embedded into the concrete slab.  They are not normally nearly flush with the ground.

That's why they invented sledge hammers.

I never saw a squatter not embedded in the concrete slab.

18 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

From  one perspective  you are  correct. However I have found the  damage  done to the forehead as I roll forward in an effort to stand up from a  squat and crash instead to the floor instead results in  great  discomfort.

Never considered hanging a rope from the ceiling to pull yourself up with then?