Thai insurance companies offering Covid-19 coverage as foreign tourists prepare to return

webfact

4 minutes ago, eastendanto said:

But why pay for a year? 2 week incubation period over no need for cover for rest of year!!! Have same chance as any other person residing in the country

Now you pay for how long you stay------

Braking news----------reports that travellers coming from countries considered low-risk for Covid-19 can expect to pay anything from 1,600 baht to over 43,000 baht, depending on where they live and the extent of the coverage. Packages vary from under 30 days to a year, with 16 Thai insurance companies selling coverage online. These include Pacific Cross, Muang Thai Life and Viriyah. Foreign arrivals will need coverage of up to 3.2 million baht, to cover medical treatment, in addition to potential funeral expenses or to transport their remains home, in the event of death from the illness.

Ref the illustration on the OP "Life Insurance"?? No such thing. 

You insure against the possible but assure against the inevitable. 

Yes, I know, but............ 

And for Sanuk711 it is BREAKING NEWS. 

Edited by rott
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Because if you test positive on arrival or while in quarantine, you will be hospitalized, even if asymptomatic; that is Thai policy. They want to be sure you have insurance to cover the cost of that. And it is more likley to happen if you cam from a high risk country.

Just wondering why they hospitalize someone if they have no symptoms surely Quarantine would suffice?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

That very expensive doubt any tourist will pay that.
They were offering COVID19 insurance in March for 500-1000THB
If they do want tourists to return they need to offer insurance a reasonable price

from what I understand all COVID19 patients are treated in government hospitals not private

so it's not like they have to cover Private Hospital higher costs.

Not correct. I had Covid in March and stayed in private hospital in Pattaya, treatment was covered by private (international, not Thai) insurer.

• Like 2

I assume that private international insurance will also be accepted for Covid just like for any other medical emergencies whilst in Thailand. Not many people would travel without a comprehensive insurance so I'm not sure who this "Thai Covid insurance" is supposed to be for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Are the premium numbers mentioned for annual policies?

And are short term policies available (17 days, 3 weeks, 1 month etc., to cover folks coming back on repat. flights but after getting their affairs in order need to quickly return abroad)?

one can buy a years insurance and decide to pay on a monthly basis.

ie step down to required levels, once you have gone through the hoops

"Visitors will be able to buy coverage from 16 companies online before they travel."

This has to be a "white elephant"

Whenever Tourist Visas are available and flights, quarantine, etc are approaching normality, genuine tourists will simply get their travel insurance in their home countries!

Edited by VBF
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

The whole issue of Tourists returning to Thailand is hung up on just 2 things.

1.  A government that has little or no idea on how to manage a return of Tourists based on " damage limitation ".

and 2.   Money

A willingness from the Thai Authorities to shaft as much money as possible from any potential Tourist

Eg Fit to fly cert, medical check up, Insurance cover, ASQ 2 week Quarantine Etc ETc

These people in Authority do not realise that the who World is now savvy to their scams and lies, and will avoid Thailand for other more welcoming destinations. And there are many that appreciate Tourists and their money more than Thailand.

true enough, the thai government it putting all the emphasis on what visitors should/have to do and not what they can do to help manage the situation within thailand, two obvious initiatives;

- have an effective track and trace system in place (not the nonsense system they have currently)

- have widespread testing, it's what is most often stressed for any country wanting to effectively manage the virus, i did read thailand had developed a test that gave results in 1 hour 15 minutes so why not use it?!

the government just dont seem interested in creating a safely managed environment for tourism to exists in. they should be making it easy for tourists to visit not difficult.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VBF said:

Absolutely! I'll repost a link to my earlier thread, showing that "standard" UK travel insurance now covers Covid and i'm sure other countries' insurance companies are similar.

Who is going to get a policy from Thailand in order to travel to Thailand when they can get one at home, with a known and trusted organisation before they travel?

The heavyweights in the European insurance industry will not be happy about this and I'm sure their lawyers will be all over the issue once things become clear.

As I mentioned in the other thread, the 'treatment' for COVID is to be locked away from people for weeks or more at great expense even if you're not actually ill. Good luck getting insurance companies to pay for that.

Edited by ukrules

6 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

The way I see this we all need insurance soon to be allowed back in to thailand.and won't make any difference on type of visa .or weather we need it to renew visa or not. So sound's to me only way not to need insurance is not leave....

I was in Greece and it clearly states that the Greek government will pay all the costs associated with Covid if you are unfortunate enough to fall ill or be tested positive including Isolation . As I said elsewhere ... Stick it in yer Momma Soup ! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mlkik said:

I was about to get insurance with Pacific Health Thailand and they have informed me that my policy is only active once I have re entered Thailand. Therefore as there is a 15 day wait period I would not be covered under the policy if I tested positive in ASQ.

erm . . . aren't you stamped into the country with an entry stamp as soon as you get off the plane? Or are you now whisked off to be tested in limbo-land before you officially enter the country?

If you have left your previous country but not yet entered Thailand, that would seem to raise all sorts of possible legal problems and issues, with insurance being just one of them.