Thai insurance companies offering Covid-19 coverage as foreign tourists prepare to return

webfact

3 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

From your bank? Please check your policy limits - most of these cheap policies DO NOT cover up to 100000 US DOLLARS, which is the required amount. 

Actually those do not cover any treatment at all. What they pay is compensation for being sick up to 1 million baht . Not a single baht is for medical expense.

IF you get sick, you pay for all treatments , then you lodge a claim and get paid some amounts for the days you were sick 

• Like 1

makes no sense at all...Thailand has zero Covid so the risk is extremely low...combine that with the fact that the little general won't let you in the country anyway you have zero risk of catching Covid in Thailand.....as insurance is risk based this should therefore be free ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Are the premium numbers mentioned for annual policies?

And are short term policies available (17 days, 3 weeks, 1 month etc., to cover folks coming back on repat. flights but after getting their affairs in order need to quickly return abroad)?

"Minimum is one month maximum is one year"

Geesh ... expensive, however, coming from such a Low risk Country such as Laos (22 cases in total and no deaths) the Thai Government should be paying for us to come down and visit them ! My daughter, currently stuck in Aus. paid $36 AUD for $500,000 AUD worth of coverage which covered her for 6 months and Covid 19 was printed in the Insurance docs also ! That was 6 months ago though ... may have changed now ???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is all meaningless conjecture until such time tourists are allowed to enter Thailand when the so called covid "pandemic" has subsided, and or a successful vaccine is developed thus rendering the insurance requirement just another Thai generated fallacy or perhaps a corrupt scheme. It seems the insurance issue is just one of many over the top requirements that are based on whim and not science.

5 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

Thai Visa - Can we have some consistency please. On the same page as this article is one from Gen Prayut. Tourists NOT welcome.

So let me set you straight lol. Everything is just talk until this guy approves it. So this is how it works. Government staff in the tourism sector are just doing their jobs. But this guy won’t approve it yet. And by the way, I don’t know that many tourists that will want to come on vacation now. Whatever tourist plan they have will mostly be utilized by forefingers who can’t enter and then they will change their visa to another type in country.  

• Confused 2

If this is purely COVID-19 cover then it is probably priced much to highly. If it covers other medical expenses than it's not so bad, though an interesting approach by the underwriters in rating based on country of origin.

Several travel insurance policies do include COVID-19 coverage, but you need to search them out. Possibly cheaper to buy in your own country, provided Thailand remains on the "safe" list.

I hope they understand that we do not want Quarantine Hotels close to entertainment areas.

One, the temptation to break curfew & second all the hotel staff mixing in close proximity to 

the surrounding areas.

I know of 8 bars that all the staff are "outa here" if a hotel in question is approved for Quarantine status leaving 2 sois like a morgue

5 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

Premiums will depend on where the tourist comes from. High risk country coverage up to a year could set the visitor back 43,200 baht or around $1,300 to $1,400.

Why "high risk countries"?  This only makes a difference for the first 2 weeks.  If you have to stay in quarantine, then after that all tourists are the same except people with pre-existing conditions.

priceless. well said

39 minutes ago, British Bulldog said:

Geesh ... expensive, however, coming from such a Low risk Country such as Laos (22 cases in total and no deaths) the Thai Government should be paying for us to come down and visit them ! My daughter, currently stuck in Aus. paid $36 AUD for $500,000 AUD worth of coverage which covered her for 6 months and Covid 19 was printed in the Insurance docs also ! That was 6 months ago though ... may have changed now ???

Interesting.

Can you please share the name of the insurance company, 36 AUD - 6 months. I've been searching for months here in Australia for return to Thailand, everything I've found at least 10 times 36. Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Because if you test positive on arrival or while in quarantine, you will be hospitalized, even if asymptomatic; that is Thai policy. They want to be sure you have insurance to cover the cost of that. And it is more likley to happen if you cam from a high risk country.

A good point and very valid. You're hospitalised regardless of whether you need it or not.

The mistake they're making here is the longer term part, that price should be standardised based on age.

In reality there should be two different parts to the policy and then the risk can be 'pooled', maybe that's how they're doing it internally.

Part one would cover the highly changeable risk of the entry procedure including the flight and quarantine period.

Part two would be a regular accident/illness insurance including COVID, I have a feeling all insurance will include COVID from now on if they wish to sell any policies and remain in business.

If Thailand insists on Thai only policies and excludes all the high coverage fully comprehensive world wide policies that cover everything from their 'approved list' then people simply won't come. They want the 'wealthy' to come - the wealthy all have policies like this and they're not stupid.

• Like 2