Thai insurance companies offering Covid-19 coverage as foreign tourists prepare to return

webfact

4 hours ago, Anna Rak said:

This is an excerpt from my bank policy and cost £15 per month.

What IS covered:

1. Reasonable and necessary medical and hospital expenses, including the cost of the rescue service to take You to hospital; and 2. Returning You to the UK provided this is authorised by Us or the Medical Assistance Helpline; and 3. Reasonable travel and room only accommodation expenses for a travelling companion or resident in the UK to stay with You and travel Home with You if this is authorised by Us or the Medical Assistance Helpline; and 4. Funeral expenses abroad or the cost of transporting Your body or ashes to Your Home. We will pay You up to £10,000,000: • if You go into hospital or require any medical assistance; and/or • if You have to return Home early or extend Your Trip; or • for reasonable and necessary funeral expenses abroad; or • for transporting Your body or ashes back to Your Home. We will pay You up to £1,000 if: • You require emergency dental treatment for the immediate relief of pain. We will pay You £50 per day (up to a maximum of £1,000) as a: • benefit for every complete 24 hour period You are in hospital or confined to Your Trip accommodation. We will pay You £10 for every 24 hour period: • towards meal expenses for the nominated person who stays/travels with You. Please note We may instruct You to return Home if Our medical advisers and the medical practitioner treating You decide that You are fit to travel. If You are injured or become ill during Your Trip, our Medical Assistance Helpline: з may move You from one hospital to another; and/or з arrange for You to return to the UK at any time. They will do this if they and the treating doctor think that it is safe for You to be moved or returned to the UK. If You choose not to, Our liability will end on the date it was deemed safe for You to be moved or returned to the UK

I would have thought this should be enough cover for these idiots, without paying rip-off fees to the government sponsored insurance companies. So ( BO**OCKS) to em!!!!

You are correct, this should do it.   I also have incredible insurance, that would meet or exceed any policy that these Thai companies are offering.   I believe the issue is twofold, with one legit rationale and one not so much.   1.  By allowing only Thai insurance policies, they drive up revenue for Thailand.  But of course, this puts undue burdens on the farang since of course we are required to pay twice.   2.  The more legitimate reason for allowing only Thai insurers is for policy consistency by regulating the Thai insurers to follow the set guidelines.  In order to allow foreign insurance policies, they would have to find qualified people to review each and every policy to insure compliance with the rules.  

Would charging us some nominal amount for a review of our policies instead of compelling us to purchase additional insurance policies suffice?   Highly doubtful as those qualified people will inevitably make errors.   I don't agree with what they're doing here, and as far as I'm concerned this is similar to the insurance required for the retiree visa that I've had in the past, but won't be getting again due to the onerous insurance requirement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ourmanflint said:

Got a quote for 2021 from UK insurance company, total was £300 for six months including all usual stuff, cancellation, theft etc etc, plus £1million covid cover for emergency treatment and repatriation. 
Thought that sounded like a decent price. These Thai prices are bonkers

The thing is - 'emergency treatment' is not what you're going to get in Thailand.

Test positive in Thailand and you're going for 'treatment' in hospital for weeks even if you're not ill and have no symptoms, you're not getting out until you test negative.

This is NOT emergency treatment for most people. It's a preventative treatment for the good of society in general, I don't think the insurance companies will pay for this because it's not normal and it's definitely not an emergency. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swedenlars said:

No way from a Thai insurance company. For these premiums a will get a top coverage from a top European insurance company. Probably even cheaper. And these companies will pay in case of. Whereas I'm not so sure if the Thai companies would. I have been too long in Asia and know a few cases when they refused to pay.

Sure, you are from Sweden and in your country (same as my French country, maybe better than mine i think) you can find cheaper price for almost two times or more services provided and you are sure they will paid in case of problem without you have to fight in trail.

But still more ahead, foreigner should get a insurance from there own country origin for safety reasons, because in case of big problem, it will be sure and easier to track them from home, but not sure to be able to track a foreign insurance company without paid expensive lawyers in this foreign and far country (much more if it is Thailand who has his own reputation they construct alone).

When i read this kind of ugly news, i feel like they are so stupid that they are thinking we are also as stupid as they can imagine to accept this scam story. And push themselves and this nice country in deep dark hole of the history.

It is really bad luck for Thailand to have them by obligation...

How lucky they are we can understand that Thailand population is not the same than Thailand actual government, as we understand the big pain of North Korean population to have to cry for their own Supreme ruler of the universe....

hope it will change soon. I hope for next Free Thailand to come happy next days, as all Thailand lovers are hoping for.

4 minutes ago, ukrules said:

The thing is - 'emergency treatment' is not what you're going to get in Thailand.

Test positive in Thailand and you're going for 'treatment' in hospital for weeks even if you're not ill and have no symptoms, you're not getting out until you test negative.

This is NOT emergency treatment for most people. It's a preventative treatment for the good of society in general, I don't think the insurance companies will pay for this because it's not normal and it's definitely not an emergency. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so.

I call it abuse of panicked decisions or crooks taking advantage of a situation to steal money from people.

Decisions which, under the guise of intensive communications comparable to mass indoctrination (the techniques are exactly the same in practice) which have been studied for the sales force and which also work in cults. The particularity of a sect being that its members, in addition, are happy to be looted ... as long as it is possible to do so, because there always comes a time when you hit rock bottom.

Because very clearly, this is of no use in the case of COVID. And no one prudent is going to go ahead in this kind of dead end way for victims.

5 minutes ago, Gary Maneval said:

If there are going to be 16 Insurance Companies, how can we get the names of them so we can compare costs?.  Can you post the names of the Insurance Companies, or how to get ahold of them?

And when you will have a problem, you will be able to speak Thai with them (they don't really speak in English, they just said... "yes, yes, yes...") and if they refuse something, what will you do ? You will be screwed and imposed to do everything as they want you to be, and you will loose: ALL.

Be safe and intelligent, don't go so alone inside this so dead-end dark and unsafe way.

Also, if no one accept, they will stop this story time and will have diplomatic problems with embassies all around the world due to their own scammers practices and will loose a lot of other business around.

They are, the ones in charge, just not able to understand right now where is our own mutual interest to be respectable and quiet enough to win something together and each of other rather than each against other.
It is the fondamental of diplomatic and politic requirement to be able to rich themselves honestly international relations the best way.

Edited by jerolamo
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, petermik said:

wait until you have a claim to make......:cheesy:

That said , make sure you use one of the Thai Governments ,

approved insurance companies .

Wait until you make a claim . Visa extension denied .?

Go home for treatment ..  Perfect business strategy .. 

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Anna Rak said:

This is an excerpt from my bank policy and cost £15 per month.

What IS covered:

1. Reasonable and necessary medical and hospital expenses, including the cost of the rescue service to take You to hospital; and 2. Returning You to the UK provided this is authorised by Us or the Medical Assistance Helpline; and 3. Reasonable travel and room only accommodation expenses for a travelling companion or resident in the UK to stay with You and travel Home with You if this is authorised by Us or the Medical Assistance Helpline; and 4. Funeral expenses abroad or the cost of transporting Your body or ashes to Your Home. We will pay You up to £10,000,000: • if You go into hospital or require any medical assistance; and/or • if You have to return Home early or extend Your Trip; or • for reasonable and necessary funeral expenses abroad; or • for transporting Your body or ashes back to Your Home. We will pay You up to £1,000 if: • You require emergency dental treatment for the immediate relief of pain. We will pay You £50 per day (up to a maximum of £1,000) as a: • benefit for every complete 24 hour period You are in hospital or confined to Your Trip accommodation. We will pay You £10 for every 24 hour period: • towards meal expenses for the nominated person who stays/travels with You. Please note We may instruct You to return Home if Our medical advisers and the medical practitioner treating You decide that You are fit to travel. If You are injured or become ill during Your Trip, our Medical Assistance Helpline: з may move You from one hospital to another; and/or з arrange for You to return to the UK at any time. They will do this if they and the treating doctor think that it is safe for You to be moved or returned to the UK. If You choose not to, Our liability will end on the date it was deemed safe for You to be moved or returned to the UK

I would have thought this should be enough cover for these idiots, without paying rip-off fees to the government sponsored insurance companies. So ( BO**OCKS) to em!!!!

great  !!  so all on here whinging and whining can now go to the website and get the cover.

I'm amazed at me how TV farang moan and post that the government setting up committee after committee on issues and here it just shows you lot do exactly the same or more.

If I was the manager I would be saying to the staff ... stop whining and just go and get the damn cover.  end of story.  But TV farang just don't get it.  lol ????

Tourists preparing to come back ... euhm , no . A few months ago i was hoping for it , but now i'm in no hurry anymore . I scrapped this year out of the book , and i am hoping that i can go before summer 21 , but im thinking more september 21 .I am hoping by then i would have gotten a vaccine or at least we know a lot more then we do right now .

Spending insurance 20-40k baht for insurance , having 3 weeks in quarantine in Phuket , im sure at a nice price also and very limited airplanes , so in case all goes belly up again being locked for unknown time ... no thx .

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

And nobody no way no how would pay an extra $1000 for insurance on top of their flight tickets per person. Thai idiocy never ceases to amaze and Thais continue to think their country is so great people will do anything to visit.

The bottom line is when sex tourists , dont visit Thailand , any more ..

Essan , and it's poor people , will suffer ..

No more , White Buffaloes . Buy house , etc ...

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, steven100 said:

great  !!  so all on here whinging and whining can now go to the website and get the cover.

I'm amazed at me how TV farang moan and post that the government setting up committee after committee on issues and here it just shows you lot do exactly the same or more.

If I was the manager I would be saying to the staff ... stop whining and just go and get the damn cover.  end of story.  But TV farang just don't get it.  lol ????

What YOU do not understand is that, we are not your staff.

And we are not whining too. We are just looking and express a real fact about: how it is  1/stupid or 2/a scam (make a choice).

But you seems to have a kind of arrogant communication who just show yourself as someone not able to have diplomatic or respectable relationship or even a honest and respectable business human scale boss ability.

No ability to manage human relationships or even a business that involves lives or issues that are beyond you.
I strongly advise you to go back to the smallest school (if you have been there, and I doubt it) and to stay a few more years at the university (probably in a good school abroad where you learn something. thing, and at a minimum, respect for others).

Normally, old nice Thai culture is an excellent base in terms of learning respect. But reading you, I suppose that again you don't have any either, denying the absurdity of what is happening now and the embarrassment and losses caused in mixed families as a result.
Also, the ministers concerned speak and contradict each other (and therefore did not meet before?) And make announcements of intentions that do not match their announcements of the practices put in place (and which change for the worse every week or almost).

It's grotesque and it's also too easy to see and analyze it in the ad texts. It's almost a textbook case of everything not to do in terms of communication (especially when you get used to making these kinds of excessive and awkward decisions).

Deny it or not, but please, consider to learn something around.

12 minutes ago, steven100 said:

lol  .....  you think they give a s_hit about that ...

get real 

give it around this or not...

at the end their is a price to paid to forget something crucial.

the human history is all on that.

I use to said that: "who can do the best can do the least, but never the opposite"

let's see... no surprise.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, jerolamo said:

And we are not whining too. We are just looking and express a real fact about: how it is  1/stupid or 2/a scam (make a choice).

well ... what do you want ???   you have to get insurance to cover COVID ...  END OF STORY .

so why go on and on about it.

It's what is required. 

5 minutes ago, jerolamo said:

What YOU do not understand is that, we are not your staff.

But you seems to have a kind of arrogant communication who just show yourself as someone not able to have diplomatic or respectable relationship or even a honest and respectable business human scale boss ability.

No ability to manage human relationships or even a business that involves lives or issues that are beyond you.
I strongly advise you to go back to the smallest school (if you have been there, and I doubt it) and to stay a few more years at the university (probably in a good school abroad where you learn something. thing, and at a minimum, respect for others).

Normally, old nice Thai culture is an excellent base in terms of learning respect. But reading you, I suppose that again you don't have any either, denying the absurdity of what is happening now and the embarrassment and losses caused in mixed families as a result.
Also, the ministers concerned speak and contradict each other (and therefore did not meet before?) And make announcements of intentions that do not match their announcements of the practices put in place (and which change for the worse every week or almost).

It's grotesque and it's also too easy to see and analyze it in the ad texts. It's almost a textbook case of everything not to do in terms of communication (especially when you get used to making these kinds of excessive and awkward decisions).

Deny it or not, but please, consider to learn something around.

Jerolamo,  while I appreciate what your saying .....

at the end of the day you just go out and get COVID insurance cover to enter Thailand.

That's it .....   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, elliss said:

The bottom line is when sex tourists , dont visit Thailand , any more ..

Essan , and it's poor people , will suffer ..

No more , White Buffaloes . Buy house , etc ...

You are making an offensive amalgamation between sex tourism and people who love the countryside (in general) and in particular that of Thailand for its cultural richness and respect for its people, its human generosity, its sweetness of life.
According to you (who obviously know little about it, probably only your experience) all these people (of which I am part) who have a project in the countryside of the North of the country (projects which are changing because of the hostility unstable government) are sex tourists?

It is terribly offensive and reductive, especially since it does not reflect the reality that I live and that others live too (afterwards, just like you, I do not know everything, especially I take care not to do this kind of thing reductive amalgam or even value judgments).

Notice that i think sexuals tourists don't care this situation, because they can go other places and do not buy land or houses.

And they have no real durable human link (i think) because they do not have human engaged relationship, but... only sexual ones who is a kind of money (as the context describe very well in there status). So also, what you are thinking has no logic by its own.

Also, sexual tourism is a style of relationship based on money relation to buy the intimacy, and by this way, a degradation of human values in oneself, probably a loss of self-confidence in order, instead of seducing, to pay someone for a sexual service.

It is disturbing and probably the reflection of a civilization enslaved by its fantasies of power over others in its excesses even in privacy for the ones who failed to get something by honor and to win confidences as usual.

This is, I find what is heartbreaking about these relationships (which I don't judge to be totally bad, but a consequence of something that went wrong), besides the fact that you make amalgamations assimilating strangers. who live there in the countryside and this kind of tourists.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Jerolamo,  while I appreciate what your saying .....

at the end of the day you just go out and get COVID insurance cover to enter Thailand.

That's it .....   

yes, i scare they do impose one from Thailand at very expensive unreasonable price.

I can get one easy from my own Country (and better cover) for half price... that's all.

But also, actually the restriction to go in gold jail for 2 weeks (or more) and be in pain if a 20% of wrong test can track a fake positive test on me, then go in hospital for, this time, really get the virus (even if i don't care for myself to get it, because it is a flu), and paid more and more for this drama story who doesn't garanty nothing more than a panic reaction (and maybe xenophobic around).

and for, at minimum more than thousand and half euros, is not possible to me.

I'm not rich and i'm not stupid.

as simple as it is.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

perhaps.  perhaps not.

will foreign travel insurance policies (or standard annual health insurance policies) be accepted when applying for a visa, or must they be from the official list of 16 thai companies?

if visa waivers are still a thing, what documentation must be shown at immigration check?  will foreign policies result in denial or will purchase of thai policies be an option at airport arrivals.

There comes a point when "they" won't have a bloody choice! (Only expletive I can get away with!!!)

If they try to do as you suggest, any intelligent Westerners will simply offer them one of these ????

I know I shall.

I do realise i'm not that valuable to Thailand but there will come a point when its value to me will diminish to zero too! ????

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

Just now, DrDave said:

The Thai government cannot seem to understand that "tourists" will not be returning to Thailand until there's a vaccine and the elimination of any requirement to quarantine. This leaves only those returning expats who have been out of the country, or others who will be staying long term (several months at a minimum) as candidates for this scheme. Neither are tourists.

no need vaccine.

English studies done by independent searcher show that the virus immune protection (the idea of a virus is to inject a bit of it to immunize people) run good for 2 or 3 month , and no more.

Also, need 2 years minimum to really test seriously a vaccine. If not, the risk of problem is higher than the virus himself.

Also power of the muted virus, right now, is 10 times down than the first one. their is a lot more of asymptomatic contaminated people.

So their is a time (right now) to stop to be afraid for something like that. the fact people are so afraid now is the impact of the intensive propaganda around that, very efficient...

But, i understand... people never live nothing difficult in their own life, no strong experience, never go in real contaminated area or in war area, so it is easy to push them to be in fear panic mode. They trust all that they see on TV.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VBF said:

There comes a point when "they" won't have a bloody choice! (Only expletive I can get away with!!!)

If they try to do as you suggest, any intelligent Westerners will simply offer them one of these ????

I know I shall.

I do realise i'm not that valuable to Thailand but there will come a point when its value to me will diminish to zero too! ????

Decisions of government who imposed himself by many coup is not legitimately representative for all the Thailand population (far not).

Thailand population is suffering by their illegitimate (by there own law also) government choices.

Don't mix them all and don't forget the value of your (our) friends.

Love is proven by a courageous and reliable posture at any time.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Shuya said:

Sure tourists will line up happily to overpay for this scam, once borders might open. 

*** This is how  some  countries are dealing with Covid and tourists Thailand ***

The Dominican Republic is replacing mandatory tourist coronavirus tests with free insurance

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/the-dominican-republic-is-replacing-mandatory-tourist-coronavirus-tests-with-free-insurance/ar-BB18Fqo2?li=BBnb7Kz

• Like 2

- Mr self-made PM ( I am not allowed to use the word which normally is being used for these kind of people ...)just announced, that no Tourists will be allowed coming to Thailand in the future.

- "coming from high risked countries" ?! <deleted>?! They will allow people from high risk countries coming as tourists to Thailand (after a revolution ?!)

- "high risk" - what does that mean? That you have 1 to 2 % wrong positive testing results from healthy people ending in some hundred wrong positive results daily because they are testing hundred of thousand of people (in my home country). And even if some positive results are "right" - what does it mean. These people are overall healthy or if they are not , its not because (mainly) of covid 19.  In our hospitals , there are nearly no new cases of covid19.

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps

(it is all over, in Europe (at least) the pike was in April (about for 4 weeks, that is 4 month ago !!!)

people with panic should go and see a doctor, and not disturb healthy minded people)

- when I would go to Thailand again, my health insurance will protect me from financial losses in case of illness. But I expect, that "they" will not accept this insurance.

I can guaranty, if  they will sell these insurance, only a very !! small friction of the money will go for the treatment of covid19 related illnesses ("oh lord, please buy me,  a Mercedes Benz...".

They did this scam in the past. everyone can (should be able)  make the calculation. What they pretend (!) to have unpaid bills from hospitals is about 10 Baht per  Tourist. ( some million (BAHT!) for 40 million Tourists)- Now look at these numbers, what these thiefs  - sorry wrong word, cause it is legal in Thailand, better kleptocrats want to force you to pay.

They  have zero tourist and instead of thinking ( I am joking!) of ways to get back the lost jobs to millions of people in Thailand, they have the schuzpe of announcing this scam.

Edited by dieter1
spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Hmm. Is that what they are doing? No way I would go to a hospital unless i was struggling to breathe, ergo need emergency treatment. Wouldn’t go to be observed. Stuff that!

• Haha 1