Tourist applying for Non-Imm O retirement visa in 2021

Hi All,

I am in Thailand on an extension of stay from a non-Imm OA retirement visa (been here many years).  Comes up for renewal next February.  I may have to travel out of the country soon for a few months.  Under current travel restrictions I would not be allowed back into Thailand (not being a citizen, diplomat, etc.).  I have a feeling they may open the door to tourists before people like me (expat retirees).  So I'm thinking I might be in the position of returning as a tourist in early 2021, either a little before or after my current extension expires.  Questions:

1. On the above assumptions, could I re-enter as a tourist and then, if my extension is still valid, renew it as usual in early 2021?  (I'm thinking yes but unsure).

2. If I re-enter as a tourist after my extension has expired, will it be easy to obtain a new O retirement visa?  I have the required B800K in the bank here already.

1. If they allow tourists into the country you could also enter the country using a re-entry permit to keep your extension valid.

2. You would have to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration and then your extension of stay based upon retirement. The only problem you might have is that to apply for the visa you must show proof the 800k baht came from abroad but some offices will waive that if it has been in the bank for a long time.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

1. You could enter using your extension if it has not expired if you have a re-entry permit and then apply for your extension.

2. You would have to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration and then your extension of stay based upon retirement. The only problem you might have is that to apply for the visa you must show proof the 800k baht came from abroad but some offices will waive that if it has been in the bank for a long time.

Ubonjoe thanks for your quick reply!  About #1, my assumption as noted is that they may not let me re-enter using my extension because the news reports I've seen all talk about re-opening for tourists and business travelers, etc. but absolutely no mention of retirees and I'm afraid we may get lost in the shuffle, meaning I show up and they refuse entry based on my extension (even though, yes I have a multiple re-entry permit).  That's why I assumed I'd have to re-enter as a tourist.  Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

About #1, my assumption as noted is that they may not let me re-enter using my extension because the news reports I've seen all talk about re-opening for tourists and business travelers, etc.

The tourists mentioned recently would be entering on a special arrangement on chartered flights but that has not even been confirmed yet. The are certain not opening the doors  for tourists yet.

By next year things should be a lot different than now.

I suspect that they may start allowing retires to get certificates of entry after more Thais and others allowed now have returned. There are a lot of people waiting for repatriation flights now.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

1. If they allow tourists into the country you could also enter the country using a re-entry permit to keep your extension valid.

Hi Joe, ive seen you say a few times that you can apply for 90 day non imm o visa at immigration, i always thought you had to apply at an embassy or consulate abroad for this. 

So when i eventually get to return to Thailand could i enter on visa exempt and then just go to my local office for the O visa and 2 months after that get an extension. For me this would be easier than applying at the Thai embassy in London. I have all neccessary documents and money in bank. Also aware that without return ticket i would need another onward travel ticket.