Seven police officers in Rochester, NY suspended over Black man's death, mayor says

webfact

Seven police officers in Rochester, NY suspended over Black man's death, mayor says

By Gabriella Borter and Jonathan Allen

2020-09-03T171233Z_1_LYNXMPEG821JA_RTROPTP_4_GLOBAL-RACE-USA-ROCHESTER.JPG

A view of police cars parked outside City Public Safety Building following the death of a Black man, Daniel Prude, after police put a spit hood over his head during an arrest on March 23, in Rochester, New York, U.S., September 3, 2020. REUTERS/Lindsay DeDario

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Seven police officers were suspended Thursday over the arrest and asphyxiation death of Black man Daniel Prude in Rochester, New York after video of the March incident was released, the city's mayor said, calling it an act of racism.

Prude's family this week released body camera footage from his arrest, showing a group of officers putting a hood over his head - apparently to prevent his spit from possibly transmitting the novel coronavirus - as he knelt on the ground, handcuffed and naked.

Prude's family has called for the arrest of the officers involved in his death seven days after the incident on March 23 in the upstate New York city. Prude was 41.

The Monroe County medical examiner ruled Prude’s death a homicide caused by "complications of asphyxia in the setting of physical restraint," according to an autopsy report, the New York Times reported.

The autopsy report said “excited delirium” and acute intoxication by phencyclidine, or the drug PCP, were also contributing factors to his death, the Times reported.

"Mr. Daniel Prude was failed by our police department, our mental health care system, our society, and he was failed by me," Rochester Mayor Lovely Warren, who is Black, told reporters. "I'm filled with grief, and anger at myself for all the failures that lead to his death."

Rochester, New York Mayor Lovely Warren on Thursday said Daniel Prude, a Black man who died by asphyxiation while in police custody, was 'failed by me'.

Warren, who said she was not made aware of the circumstances of Prude's death until August, condemned the death as an act of racism.

"Institutional and structural racism led to Daniel Prude's death. I won't deny it, I stand before it, and I call for justice upon it," Warren said.

Prude's asphyxiation occurred two months before the death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police, which spurred international protests against police brutality and racial injustice in the United States.

Prude's family obtained body camera footage after filing a freedom of information act request, CBS-affiliate WROC-TV reported.

Rochester police chief La'Ron Singletary, who is Black, told reporters on Wednesday that internal and criminal investigations were underway.

Rochester police declined further comment on Thursday, and a lawyer for Prude's family did not respond to a request for comment.

The office of New York Attorney General Letitia James is investigating, as state law requires whenever police are involved in a civilian's death.

'YOU'RE TRYING TO KILL ME'

In the video, an officer placed a "spit hood" over Prude's head. Prude could be heard shouting, "Take this...off my face!" and "You're trying to kill me!"

before his shouts turned to cries and became muffled. Officers were heard saying "Calm down" and "stop spitting."

Later, the video showed an officer kneeling on Prude's back while Prude was silent and snow fell around them. Someone was heard saying, "start CPR." Minutes later, the video showed Prude being loaded into an ambulance on a stretcher.

Activists were planning protests in Rochester and New York City's Times Square on Thursday calling for the officers to be charged.

Protests broke out on Wednesday in downtown Rochester, a city near Lake Ontario about 300 miles (480 km) north of New York City. Police released pepper spray on the demonstrators and arrested nine people, the Democrat and Chronicle reported.

Mayor Warren said she was joined by City Council in calling for the charges against the protesters to be dropped on Thursday.

Prude's family told reporters that Prude had been struggling with mental health. His brother, Joe Prude, said he had called police because he was worried when his brother left home that night.

"I placed a phone call for my brother to get help, not for my brother to get lynched," Joe Prude said.

(Reporting by Gabriella Borter and Jonathan Allen; Editing by Alistair Bell and Marguerita Choy)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-09-04

• Haha 1

Just now, Sujo said:

And rightly so, they are paid and took an oath to do their job. If they dont want to do it then leave.

They did just that In areas known as "no go" zones and were sued for it. It's been 50 years of trying to cure the black ghettos and the associated cancer. Nothing works.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

And then, when they refuse to ‘deal’ with such ‘persons’ the local community will instead accuse the police of being racist for not policing their area.... 

The black and Hispanic officers can do so, and if not enough recruit more.

It used to be that no policeman in the US knew if he would not die in the line of duty every working day, but now no white officer knows now if they won't be suspended and facing murder charges by end of working day.

IMO either some change is made to protect white officers or expect a shortfall in recruitment and an increase in resignations.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mama Noodle said:

I’m more inclined to believe it was the fact that he was buck-naked high on PCP spitting on police during a pandemic while resisting arrest. 

I'm more inclined to believe  he was discriminated against because he was black! It's an American thing!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

An issue raised in the ‘Defund the Police’ debate is the matter of mentally ill persons/drug addicted persons being left for the police to deal with.

Spending vast sums of money on militarizing the police while underfunding money on mental health and drug treatment programs.

NYPD were almost certainly correct to place these officers on suspension while their actions are investigated, but an investigation that only examines the events at the scene misses all the root causes.

Police officers being the first line response to persons suffering mental health and drug addiction needs close examination. 

The issue for "me" is that if "you" defund the "police" stop charging me "taxes" for it. I hope these cities get a bail out because the real issue is they can no longer afford police.

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, simple1 said:

What you saying is effectively condoning extrajudicial killing. There is no excuse for the guy dying from asphyxiation allegedly due to police action. Will have to wait and see the outcome of the enquiry to ascertain level of fault by all parties involved.

You are ignoring the fact that arrests have been made, trial are ongoing, and the only, conclusive and meaningful decision will be handed down by the courts.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

You know this how? Are you doing okay? Most of us leave our houses everyday. It's the lockdowns in overly depressing settings such as NYC that are making people depressed. I love waking up everyday, so I can engage in healthy debates, so does Trump. LOL

Not living in Muskogee then.

https://www.narcononarrowhead.org/blog/drug-crisis-in-muskogee.html

The idea that the drug epidemic is something only happening in cities is a dangerous myth.

Self preening that you live in some idyllic spot out of harms way is self delusion, as Muskogee tunefully and tragically demonstrates.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Does anyone know the race of the cops that were suspended?

Video of the incident available from news sites. The guy was hooded, handcuffed and kneeled upon, when no longer responding CPR applied, but too late

Edited by simple1

9 minutes ago, simple1 said:

What you saying is effectively condoning extrajudicial killing. There is no excuse for the guy dying from asphyxiation allegedly due to police action. Will have to wait and see the outcome of the enquiry to ascertain level of fault by all parties involved.

No, I’m denying the dog poo opinion of the mayor that it was “racism” that led to his death.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Not living in Muskogee then.

https://www.narcononarrowhead.org/blog/drug-crisis-in-muskogee.html

The idea that the drug epidemic is something only happening in cities is a dangerous myth.

Self preening that you live in some idyllic spot out of harms way is self delusion, as Muskogee tunefully and tragically demonstrates.

It simply shows what disdain you have for these type of places. I live here because I love it. Thankfully you can incite riots where ever you want. It's peaceful here Mister.

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

You seem to have some sort of issues with Americans? Where are you from?

Many have issues with America, we just wish you were a bit smarter! I'm from one of those countries that is'nt America!

• Haha 2