Swedes have less appetite for Thailand

webfact

11 hours ago, Nout said:

Every cloud has a silver lining and currently in Pattaya the lack of Indians, Australians, Russians and Chinese is no bad thing....for foreigner long stay residents. Obviously the lack of Chinese and Indian tourists is bad for business but the general quality of life is much improved.

Why Ozzies? The others I get, not the native mongers of Pattaya, but them not.

19 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

My wife is Isaan Lao, but by a quirk of fate, ended up in Chicago as a teenager.

She has told me many times this story.

"The Thai elite hate us, but we're just the servants, but they hate you even more

That may well be playing out in front of our eyes 

Very true.  Was always amazed at all the falangs prancing around Bangkok blowing whistles following Suthep supporting the coup to bring in elite rule when it was very well known that the elites would drive them out of Thailand at the first opportunity, this plan has been in progress since the coup, ever more stringent visa, 90 day, tm30 inforcement, many turned away to the airport if had too many tourist stamps.  now all on extended tourist visas must leave. Expect to see new rules before borders open again to stop border run, back to back tourist stamps, maybe need 6 months between visas or something? Don't cry about the money you are spending supporting your family, they hate the issan lao thais nearly as much as they hate you and to deprive them of some income is only a bonus in their eyes.

• Like 2

I  am not Swedish but there silly rules are out of this world I like Thailand it’s a great place I feel bad for the people of Thailand. There's a lot of things going on in the region well above us pawns it’s no virus imop its witch side are they on there are burning a candle at both ends. The ones running the show are so far out of touch of what is going on in real world it’s sad on them. There like the wind change every day and nothing comes of age. I am going to miss waking up going outside Goood Morning Thailand and going off into concrete jungle wondering about watching Thai people go about their everyday business. Thai people are good I meet so many that are super nice going to miss them this year maybe sometime next year. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

yes here they would face a 'real quarantine' unlike the many countries who put on a bs show which does a great disservice to their own citizens..  

And this real quarantine will attract very few visitors, far from the numbers Thailand has seen in the past. 

Keep tourists out and decimate the tourism industry for years. Open up and there will be cover cases for sure. Who knows what is the best approach.

Europe is opened and many countries still have several thousand new cases everyday - they've come to accept the situation and know it's not going sway anytime soon. When will Asian countries wake up and do the same. 

• Haha 1

On 9/3/2020 at 10:19 PM, Misterwhisper said:

I think there is a mistake. According to my sources it's 9,203 Swedes. Plus 7.5 Norwegians.

(Note: When quoting surveys that only took in a limited total sample size, it's always a good idea to mention that. Oh, and also tell us how many actually took part in the survey.) 

Plus 7.5 Norwegians ...

That could be 6 normal ones and either one more fat one or two skinny ones.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Longchop said:

Very true.  Was always amazed at all the falangs prancing around Bangkok blowing whistles following Suthep supporting the coup to bring in elite rule when it was very well known that the elites would drive them out of Thailand at the first opportunity, this plan has been in progress since the coup, ever more stringent visa, 90 day, tm30 inforcement, many turned away to the airport if had too many tourist stamps.  now all on extended tourist visas must leave. Expect to see new rules before borders open again to stop border run, back to back tourist stamps, maybe need 6 months between visas or something? Don't cry about the money you are spending supporting your family, they hate the issan lao thais nearly as much as they hate you and to deprive them of some income is only a bonus in their eyes.

Yep, less Swedes, and any other whitey for that matter, is what the scumbags want. Covid a convenient excuse. I wouldn't expect anything less than a total assault on expats and repeat visitors of the mungerer kind.

• Like 1

What a silly survey, same can be said about any Western country, not only Sweden. 
Traditionally Scandinavians enjoy a holiday in Thailand between December - February , this time maybe 10% of them will return if lucky. 

• Like 2

There is mass exodus auf Swedish holiday makers since two years.

Swedish people are net sellers of property in Thailand since 2 year.

There are different reason one is the generations Thailand getting older the other more significant reason is :  enviroment issues in Thailand, like Traffic dirty beaches and much higher but compared to Swedish crown and many local issues in Thailand. As well the trend for go green meaning long haul flights arnott in Trend this all before corvid

Good for the future in Thailand so the government can tell that it is kovid that the tourist not coming back

As a man from Sweden I can see many reasons why a lot of us is not coming back and the main reason is that it has become more expensive to go on a holiday in Thailand. Before the rate was +5 baht for a swedish krona then it dropped to about three baht. That is a huge difference in the rates by it selves and then almost everything in Thailand has been more expensive and are now pretty much in the same price range as here.

First when the russians start to visit Thailand we started to feel more unwelcomed, suddenly there was russian language on menus and signs and the tourists was rather rude towards thais and others and we start to aviod places where russians stayed at.

Then the indian tourists came along and then their signs and restaurants everywhere so it started to feel like you was in India and not Thailand.

And after that the chineese invasion, they where everywhere. I had been at many tours, seeing many of the must see things before they came and now they have taken the joy away from touring as they are not the most considering people visiting.

Now more and more places are trying to attract chineese and other asians visitors so I and many other swedish people feel like we are not welcomed even if we still spend a lot of money while staying in Thailand, we are well manered and polite in most cases. We are also, unlike many Asian tourists, awere of our personal hygiene. We can behave at a dinner table and we can say thank you and show appreciation to hotel and restaurant staff.

I for one is never going to accept "the new normal". There is nothing normal with the ongoing pandemic and even if I still have a lot of love for Thailand I cant see myself returning in a near future. I am sure to be back at some point but that depends on how they treat us as tourists. Do they want us back and are they going to treat us as guests as they did before or are we just spenders that not care how we are going to be treated?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lapamita said:

There is mass exodus auf Swedish holiday makers since two years.

Swedish people are net sellers of property in Thailand since 2 year.

There are different reason one is the generations Thailand getting older the other more significant reason is :  enviroment issues in Thailand, like Traffic dirty beaches and much higher but compared to Swedish crown and many local issues in Thailand. As well the trend for go green meaning long haul flights arnott in Trend this all before corvid

Good for the future in Thailand so the government can tell that it is kovid that the tourist not coming back

Is that irritating little brat Greta Thunberg Swedish? 

• Haha 2