600 facing quarantine after Thailand’s first locally-acquired COVID infection for 100 days

webfact

31 minutes ago, Jurg said:

Some people here in this forum seem to make fun or a joke out of this possible local Covid19 transmission recently here in Thailand.

I wish to make those people aware of the second wave in Melbourne Victoria Australia very recently , authorities failed to detect a major failure in their quarantine proceedures, resulting into a Stage 4 Lockdown for millions of people again. Additionally a massively prolonged State border closure to prevent the virus spreading into other States too. Hundreds of death with Covid19 recorded in Victoria. They are talking of some 100 billion dollars additional costs in their economy due to this latest Lockdown.

How would you feel being back in that scenario again? 

Covid19 infections are not a joke, but utter disaster if not very quickly brought under control.

You still can't see the whole picture can't you? Start with: how deadly is Covid-19 really? And how can we stop a pandemic?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JCP108 said:

Are 600 people really going to go into quarantine?

no, potentially many many more, juts imagine these 600 have been in contact with how many xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx it's a never ending calculation 555

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

So have the traced each of the people these 600 have been in contact with yet and the 600 that each of those 3600 people were in contact with and so on?

There is no need to trace the contacts of the contacts unless the initial contacts are found to be positive which so far none have been. (Which also means the source if his infection has nto yet been found...)

1 hour ago, BernieOnTour said:

I will add some more questions:

1) So, you tested someone positive for the (assumed, not proven) RNA of a virus, after millions or billions of reduplications: Did he show any symptoms, is he sick ?

2) Even under best conditions the specifity of a rPCR test ist 99.3% - so: 7 false positive per 1000 tests. - Did you confirm the result with a second test ?

3) TiT ... are you sure that: taking the probes, transport, preparation of the probes and the test itself were done exactly according to the rules? - Otherwise, the specificity easily drops to 90% with 100 false positives per 1000.

4) The rPCR test is not a yes/no test like a pregnancy test (easily confirmed after 9 months 555), you have a “sliding” target depending on the number of cycles, you run for duplication... - Where did you cut off the test? After 20 cycles ( ~ 1 million reduplications), 30 cycles (~ 1 billion) ... or did you let it run, until you had a positive result, eg. 40 cycles ( ~ 1000 billion reduplications) ???

In summary: If you are a someone of “influence”, who wants “No Covid”, cut off the cycle rate of PCR tests early, eg. 15 cycles. If you want “Covid”, make sure, the cycles keep going, eg. 40 cycles. ???? Make sure, rPCR tests are perceived as showing Covid, omit secondary diagnostic checks !

He is (or was) symptomatic

He was tested twice. that is why the first press release said "may be", it was after the first result with the second test pending.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There have been other recent indications of continued cases in  Thailand: someone arriving in Japan from Thailand who tested positive on arrival and one arriving in Malaysia, both I think asymptomatic.

It is not at all surprising that there would still be some local transmission taking place -- this is exactly why the continued requirements for mask-wearing.  In fact it would be surprising if the virus had 100% died out.  The 3 month lockdown will have greatly slowed transmission but to 100% eradicate it is very, very difficult.

What is clear is that levels of local transmission are low. Because there would otherwise be more cases being detected at hospitals.  From experience elsewhere, it is only when cases are in the tens of thousands that it becomes evident from hospital admissions that something is happening. This would be even more true in Thailand than in the West given the younger population.

Now whether they will stay low, is the question. Hopefully yes but no absolute guarantee.

Exactly my thoughts

2 hours ago, rwill said:

One of the first things you have to know is what type of test did they use.  There are basically 2 types.  Those that test for antibodies and those that test for the actual virus.  If it was an antibody test he could of been exposed to the virus some time ago but not currently have it.

They do not test for the actual virus.

PCR amplifies sample RNA maybe associated with actual C-19.

Done correctly, the test is so-so accurate;

done improperly,  ...

Just now, papa al said:

They do not test for the actual virus.

PCR amplifies sample RNA maybe associated with actual C-19.

Done correctly, the test is so-so accurate;

done improperly,  ...

It is not "so so" accurate. It has a known sensitivity and specificity. Specificity is very high (98-99%), sensitivity less so, especially early in the disease.

And the RNA strand tested for is quite specific to the virus.

17 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Untrue. The rate of false positive on a COVID  PCR test is only 1-2%.

https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m1808

The odds of 2 separate positive tests both being false positives in about 1 in one thousand.

This is why they always do a second test before considering a case to be confirmed.

False negatives on the other hand are relatively common (though nothing like 80%)

I see what you are saying Sheryl.

Thanks for your reference; I will study it.

Report in one journal is just that.

Reports vary.

The journals are not immune to politics.

Will try to retrieve references for you later.

One problem with verifying these PCR tests

is that there is no gold-standard to compare to.

PCR testing is tricky and assumes a lot.

/////  

It has been estimated that there are over 380 trillion viruses inhabiting a human, a community collectively known as the humanvirome. 

///// 

...So they know for sure that

none of the normal 380,000,000,000,000 virions

could illicit a false pos?

Are you sure Sheryl?

Edited by papa al

33 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

If I hear dirty Farang again from your  non -original Fangirls ,  get some new material every damn day it’s either dirty Farang or road deaths or Flu Bots if you don’t like it Go

Its a shame that everyone cannot be as original as yourself. 

• Haha 2

Better stock up on the booze while there is any left and while I can still go to some open shops. Perhaps looking at three months of lockdown if experience tells me anything. Better get a spare mobile phone too in case this one konks out on me anytime soon.

• Like 1