PCR Test and fit to fly in the UK ?

We are in South East Scotland. Best way it looks like my Thai partner can do it,  is to get a free Covid test in Edinburgh Airport (a PCR test, the real deal) and then they email the result to us. At that point, (Saturday) we ask a local doctor/friend to fill on the fit to fly certificate, which is very simple. 

Cost is then minimal, as long as they accept the printed out email result. If not then possibly we can go back to the airport for hard copy.

I believe that there are quite a few free NHS Covid checkpoints at UK airports and maybe elsewhere.

Anyone see any problems with this approach? The test would be within the 72 hour time limit. 

11 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

When the embassy confirmed my flight they advised of these clinics below, they will issue 3 documents, Negative CV result ( hopefully ) / fit to fly cert / lab report, all will have you name and passport number on them. I'd suggest not using one that the embassy does not recommend.

image.png.7d07d16e12e540aeb0a13cd9ac121fb4.png

Yes I did read these recommendations, I don't think though, that this means that they are the ONLY ones acceptable.

21 hours ago, Greghuntleyuk said:

Does anyone know if you can use the NHS test? Although it would be a risk pushing it for a turn around in 72 hours.

The Thai Embassy in Washington, DC has this posted on their website:  (I'm assuming it would be the same in the UK.)

Capture2.JPG.6b2585501be282f81f34e8eeff8acf90.JPG

Edited by don43451
I forgot to say something.

18 hours ago, Greghuntleyuk said:

Just spoke to Randox. They said they need you to come into clinic directly. Then send it to Northern Irealand !!! <deleted>

I have got the rite company randoxhealth.com ?

I'm not sure where their laboratory is but my results were back in less than 24 hours after testing. As I said, I did mine in London at the clinic as the alternative was Liverpool or a home test kit. The only country listed on their website that doesn't accept a home based swab for travel is the UAE.

17 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

Getting this test and results back and not being anywhere near London is very stressful.

Can anyone clarify what the 'fit to fly' certificate should be? One clinic i spoke to said, they it was simply a certificate to say you didn't have Covid, and this was sufficient for airlines.

But surely i think it would be a little more than just covid related?

The Thai Embassy (London) provided an answer to this question

[The fit to fly does not have specific format. It can be general statement from your doctor that you do not have any symptoms and are fit to fly.]

Example Fit to Fly letter below - It states No symptoms of Influenza or Covid-19 and the ‘patient’ is fit to fly.

For the OP: Depending how far ‘North’ he is in the UK. 

I used Midland Heath (Birmingham) https://midlandhealth.co.uk/tests-and-diagnostics/covid-19/

They posted me a Covid-19 PCR Swab kit (I ordered it a week before my flight). 

3 days before the flight I self administered the Kit and then drove the ‘used test kit’ to the Priory Lab (Edgbaston Birmingham). I drove the kit myself to avoid any postal mixups or delays. 

I received the Covid-19 PCR test Negative Certificate within 48hrs (by e-mail). The same Doctor also issued the Fit to Fly certificate. 

Both documents were dated with the day I delivered the ‘used test’ (i.e. 3 days before my flight).

This hospital was excellent and understood the requirements and time limitations. 

The cost was £190

---------

The NHS cannot be used because the do not issue ‘certificates’

I was tested by the NHS for a separate reason, I never even received the result. 

The assumption is you are Covid-19 negative unless contacted (track n trace) by the NHS.

---------

16 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

What’s the point in paying for all the Certs when no one checks they are genuine more so as Thai nationals don’t need the Covid Cert. ?

What if they do check? (random spot check) and find out yours is a fake? what would the penalty be?

Deportation / blacklist ? or worse ?

168463678_1FittoFly.thumb.jpg.c7244d535309cd72b7323d9d98ce1378.jpg

• Like 2