French retired want to come back in Thailand

Hi, 

i get a O-A retirement Non I visa (3rd extension finish 30/09) . I own my condo in Bangkok since 2008 and my legal address is there (pink card from the Khet bangkapi, and property act of my condo) 

i also get the 1 year re-entry visa finishing on 30/09/2020

I came in Paris on 14/05 for med checkup . I expected coming back in bkk in September , but retired visa people are not in the group of 10 cases allowed to fly back to bkk ! 

does anyone get an idea ? Or will I loose my 4th retirement visa extension ? Or must I restart everything from scratch ?

thank you for you help and advices 

Unless you can qualify under one of the categories you will have to wait until they start allowing normal flights into the country.

The might start to allow those that are retired and have a valid visa or re-entry to enter before they allow tourists entry to the country. That might mean you would have to apply for OA long stay visa before traveling.

You will have to start all over again when can enter the country.

As mentioned by UJ, unless you can qualify for one of the categories allowed to enter Thailand now (which includes a.o. two weeks of mandatory quarantaine in a Hotel), you would have to wait till Thailand opens again for those on a retirement Visa.

Strange as it might seem, the fact that the permission to stay (kept alive by your ReEntry permit) expires end of September, is actually a Blessing in Disguise.

Because it will allow you to apply for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa, which will provide you with almost 2 years of IO hassle-free stay in Thailand.  With NO need to park/transfer money to a thai bank-account, NO need for border-runs, NO need for re-entry permits during the 1st year Visa validity, and most importantly NO need to apply for 1-year extensions of stay at your local IO during those two years (with all the associated hoops).

The ONLY inconvenience you will face when applying again for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa is that it now requires since Oct 2019 mandatory IO-approved health-insurance.  But contrary to the popular narrative on the Forum that this is an expensive and almost impossible to meet requirement, it is actually relatively easy to meet that insurance requirement (if you know how).

>> I did sent you PM a Guideline document outlining how to do it.

Note: To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged-in to the Forum.

Obviously it doesn't make sense applying for that Non Imm O-A Visa until after 30-09 (expiry of your current permission to stay) AND until there are options for those on a retiree-Visa to return to Thailand.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If you have to start all over, go for a Non-immigrant O. Not an O-A. 

He might not have a choice if they started allowing retirees to get a certificate of entry before allowing tourists to enter the country.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Because it will allow you to apply for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa, which will provide you with almost 2 years of IO hassle-free stay in Thailand.  With NO need to park/transfer money to a thai bank-account, NO need for border-runs, NO need for re-entry permits during the 1st year Visa validity, and most importantly NO need to apply for 1-year extensions of stay at your local IO during those two years (with all the associated hoops).

is this a new visa ? 2 years ? lol

borders are closed, so border hopping is DEAD

or you want to be 14 days in quarantine, every 90 days ? well, 76 days

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If you have to start all over, go for a Non-immigrant O. Not an O-A. 

On the contrary > If you have to start all over, go for a Non-immigrant O-A. Not an O. 

My post #5 outlined some of the (huge) benefits of applying for a Non Imm O-A, and I provided info on how to easily meet the one inconvenience of that Visa (i.e. the insurance requirement).

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

is this a new visa ? 2 years ? lol

borders are closed, so border hopping is DEAD

or you want to be 14 days in quarantine, every 90 days ? well, 76 days

The Non Imm O-A Visa is a 1-year MultipleEntry Visa.

Each time you enter Thailand during that 1-year Visa validity, you will be stamped in for a 1-year permission to stay.  So when timed right you can squeeze almost 2 years of IO hassle-free stay out of that Visa.

As I wrote it does NOT require any border-hops, except the re-entry just before the 1-year Visa validity expires to take advantage of the 1-year permission to stay on entry it will provide you.

> You can ONLY apply for the Non Imm O-A Visa at a Thai Embassy/Consulate in your home-country.  Obviously with the current restrictions you cannot apply for it, and once restrictions on returning for those on a retirement Visa are lifted, you might still be confronted with all the other restrictions anyone entering Thailand is facing.

27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He might not have a choice if they started allowing retirees to get a certificate of entry before allowing tourists to enter the country.

Ubon do you know which countries you can still obtain  non o retirement.

I know many such as Oz you cannot.

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Ubon do you know which countries you can still obtain  non o retirement.

Not many embassies and official consulates are issuing them. Some honorary consulates can still issue them.

The UK and few others in Europe are issuing them.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not many embassies and official consulates are issuing them. Some honorary consulates can still issue them.

You can appply at any consulate in your country of residence but permission to issue this visa comes from the embassy. Plus I need to show equivalent of 800.000 Thb in a bank a/c. My last visa was Nov 2019. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Letseng said:

You can appply at any consulate in your country of residence but permission to issue this visa comes from the embassy. Plus I need to show equivalent of 800.000 Thb in a bank a/c. My last visa was Nov 2019. 

That is not correct for every country. There are several countries where a non-o visa is not available for retirement.

Australia and the US are 2 of them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

In France, consulates do not issue any kind of visa. Only Paris embassy does

7 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

As mentioned by UJ, unless you can qualify for one of the categories allowed to enter Thailand now (which includes a.o. two weeks of mandatory quarantaine in a Hotel), you would have to wait till Thailand opens again for those on a retirement Visa.

Strange as it might seem, the fact that the permission to stay (kept alive by your ReEntry permit) expires end of September, is actually a Blessing in Disguise.

The ONLY inconvenience you will face when applying again for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa is that it now requires since Oct 2019 mandatory IO-approved health-insurance.  But contrary to the popular narrative on the Forum that this is an expensive and almost impossible to meet requirement, it is actually relatively easy to meet that insurance requirement (if you know how).

>> I did sent you PM a Guideline document outlining how to do it.

Note: To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged-in to the Forum.

Obviously it doesn't make sense applying for that Non Imm O-A Visa until after 30-09 (expiry of your current permission to stay) AND until there are options for those on a retiree-Visa to return to Thailand.

Why paying for an insurance if you don't need one ?
Applying for O-A Visa requires you have 800 000 bahts (24 000 €) at your bank

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, aixois said:

Why paying for an insurance if you don't need one ?
Applying for O-A Visa requires you have 800 000 bahts (24 000 €) at your bank

Since 30 October 2019 applying for a Non Imm O-A Visa at a Thai Embassy/Consulate in your home-country does require an IO-approved health-insurance policy.

Since same date also applying at your local IO for a 1-year extension of stay based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa (even if dates from yesteryear) now requires a thai IO-approved health-insurance policy, when applying for reason of RETIREMENT.  When applying for reason of marriage or any of the other qualifying reasons, then the insurance is not required.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Since 30 October 2019 applying for a Non Imm O-A Visa at a Thai Embassy/Consulate in your home-country does require an IO-approved health-insurance policy.

Since same date also applying at your local IO for a 1-year extension of stay based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa (even if dates from yesteryear) now requires a thai IO-approved health-insurance policy, when applying for reason of RETIREMENT.  When applying for reason of marriage or any of the other qualifying reasons, then the insurance is not required.

In France a health insurance is required by thai embassy for O-A Visa : http://www.thaiembassy.fr/fr/visa-rdv/les-types-de-visa-et-les-documents-necessaires/visa-o-long-stay/ and they need much more documentation than for non O visa

• Confused 1

Hello Aixois,

Indeed, only the Thai embassy issues visas.
In any case, the consulates in France have become "permanence" when they are not completely closed.
Yes, when applying for the OA visa, you must prove insurance, but this must be approved by the Thai authorities.
You can trust Pierre Denis.
I'm still checking his answers and it's correct. LOL

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sirocco said:

Hello Aixois,

Indeed, only the Thai embassy issues visas.
In any case, the consulates in France have become "permanence" when they are not completely closed.
Yes, when applying for the OA visa, you must prove insurance, but this must be approved by the Thai authorities.

Yes, I know all this

Edited by aixois
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

On the contrary > If you have to start all over, go for a Non-immigrant O-A. Not an O. 

My post #5 outlined some of the (huge) benefits of applying for a Non Imm O-A, and I provided info on how to easily meet the one inconvenience of that Visa (i.e. the insurance requirement).

That seems fully wrong to me. Non-O + Extension is the best way IMHO. 

Your said "benefits" nearly not exist!

> NO need for border-runs,

Same for Non-O

> NO need for re-entry permits during the 1st year Visa validity,

Take 10 minutes at the airport when you leave ????

and you will need one too on your second year

> and most importantly NO need to apply for 1-year extensions of stay at your local IO during those two years (with all the associated hoops)

Which hoops? Retirement Extension is very easy to get and only take 5-10 minutes in Immigration Offices such as the one in Pattaya

> NO need to park/transfer money to a thai bank-account,

Same for a Non-O  (He is French)

And BTW the Non O-A requires 24'000€ on your bank account against only 5'000€ for a Non O

It also requires (before Covid) this famous insurance and a lot of more documents than Non O.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

That seems fully wrong to me. Non-O + Extension is the best way IMHO. 

Your said "benefits" nearly not exist!

Everybody's circumstances and priorities are different.

Of course if you do not have 24.000 Euro on your FOREIGN bank-account you will not be able to apply for the Non Imm O-A Visa.  In that case, no need to look further into that option.

But when on a Non Imm O-A Visa you NEVER have to visit your local IO during the almost 2 years it can provide you.  And when on a Non Imm O Visa you would have to make twice a 1-year extension of stay application at your local IO.

You wrote > Retirement Extension is very easy to get and only take 5-10 minutes in Immigration Offices such as the one in Pattaya

If you live next door to Jomtien IO and you like going there, that might be true.  But most applicants dread the yearly extension ritual... and would be happy to pay the max 11.400 THB for the insurance, if that would mean not having to deal with your local IO. 

Yes, he is French so eligible for the Embassy income letter (when his foreign monthly income meets the +65K criterion, and indeed that's the way to avoid having to park/transfer funds to a thai personal bank-account).  But requires a visit to the French Embassy to get that letter.

>> So it's a matter of weighing the pros and cons.

But for those that are not eligible for an Embassy income letter (i..e. all US, UK and Australian citizens, as well as those with insufficient foreign monthly income or not able to prove the source of that income) it is IMHO a no-brainer.

Edited by Peter Denis

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Of course if you do not have 24.000 Euro on your FOREIGN bank-account you will not be able to apply for the Non Imm O-A Visa.  In that case, no need to look further into that option.

I don't know many people who keep 24'000€ on their saving account, and Paris' Thai Embassy is very annoying on the type of bank accounts they accept and the documents required (mainly for online banks...)

But when on a Non Imm O-A Visa you NEVER have to visit your local IO during the almost 2 years it can provide you.  And when on a Non Imm O Visa you would have to make twice a 1-year extension of stay application at your local IO.

For many retirees, it seems a lot easier to make 1 short yearly visit at the local Immigration than to have to quit the country every year ! ;(

Yes, he is French so eligible for the Embassy income letter ().  But requires a visit to the French Embassy to get that letter.

No need to go to the French Embassy in Bangkok. They have a mobile office in several cities. Every month in Pattaya by example.

And BTW:  

12 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa, which will provide you with almost 2 years of IO hassle-free stay in Thailand.  With NO need to park/transfer money to a thai bank-account,

This is true only for the first O-A Visa. For your second one (and after), Paris' Thai Embassy will require 800'000 THB in a Thai bank!  

(Yes, it's probably only true for France, but this thread is about a French guy)

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

I don't know many people who keep 24'000€ on their saving account, and Paris' Thai Embassy is very annoying on the type of bank accounts they accept and the documents required (mainly for online banks...)

For many retirees, it seems a lot easier to make 1 short yearly visit at the local Immigration than to have to quit the country every year ! ;(

No need to go to the French Embassy in Bangkok. They have a mobile office in several cities. Every month in Pattaya by example.

And BTW:  

This is true only for the first O-A Visa. For your second one (and after), Paris' Thai Embassy will require 800'000 THB in a Thai bank!  

(Yes, it's probably only true for France, but this thread is about a French guy)

I fully agree.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

And BTW:  

OK, under those circumstances (French citizen eligible for the Embassy issued monthly foreign income letter), applying for the Non Imm O Visa would be the better option.

But for UK, US and Australian citizens, as well as those that are not eligible for an Embassy issued income-letter, there is no doubt that applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in their home-country is the best option.  When not returning to their home-country before the 2 years that Visa can provide them, they can of course switch to a Non Imm O Visa to get rid of the health-insurance requirement.  That health-insurance requirement is a nuisance when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country, but it is relatively easy to do (if you know how).

On 9/8/2020 at 10:10 AM, Peter Denis said:

OK, under those circumstances (French citizen eligible for the Embassy issued monthly foreign income letter), applying for the Non Imm O Visa would be the better option.

But for UK, US and Australian citizens, as well as those that are not eligible for an Embassy issued income-letter, there is no doubt that applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in their home-country is the best option.  When not returning to their home-country before the 2 years that Visa can provide them, they can of course switch to a Non Imm O Visa to get rid of the health-insurance requirement.  That health-insurance requirement is a nuisance when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country, but it is relatively easy to do (if you know how).

Hi Peter, can you stretch out what a "Non Imm O-A Visa" is in its full form for me please ?

And you also wrote "That health-insurance requirement is a nuisance when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country, but it is relatively easy to do (if you know how)."... can you explain how please ?