What day do i get my PCR covid test done for return?

Not going to get ahead of myself, but i am booked on a Emirates flight to get back to my family next week. 

My Flight with Emirates is on Thursday. Arrive in Bangkok on Friday. 

So i assumed i would get my test done on the Monday. That means it would be within 72 hours when i depart the UK. 

However, a few have pointed out that i will arrive in Bangkok after the 72 hour period. So can anyone confirm if the test to be taken when you depart your return flight, or when you land?

Secondly, what complicates matters, is some are suggesting your documents will be checked again by Emirates in Dubai during your connection. Because of the time difference, it will actually be Friday when we depart, meaning my test is once again outside the 72 hours scope. 

Really doing my head in this !

11 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

Secondly, what complicates matters, is some are suggesting your documents will be checked again by Emirates in Dubai during your connection

Yes, Dubai wants a covid free cert for transit passengers.

My understanding from reading different threads is:

1. To check in for your flight, the Covid-19 test result must be no more than 72 hours prior to your departure; and
  2. if the test result was greater than 72 hours prior to the time of your arrival in Thailand, you are obliged to undergo a further test on the day you arrive at your own expense.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BritTim said:

My understanding from reading different threads is:

1. To check in for your flight, the Covid-19 test result must be no more than 72 hours prior to your departure; and
  2. if the test result was greater than 72 hours prior to the time of your arrival in Thailand, you are obliged to undergo a further test on the day you arrive at your own expense.

1) Is my departure classed when i leave the UK, or connect in Dubai?

2) Who obliges me to carry out the test once i arrive? I ask because my hotel will be doing a test on the first day.

Edited by AndrewMciver

46 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

I am unsure what effect the transfer in Dubai has on the timing of the Covid-19 test. My guess is that they will allow you to transit if your test result was within the 72-hour window at the time of your original departure.

48 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

2) Who obliges me to carry out the test once i arrive? I ask because my hotel will be doing a test on the first day.

The most common procedure is that, on arrival, the authorities inform the ASQ hotel that you must take a test. The hospital partner of the ASQ hotel does the test, and (in most cases) this is an extra charge. The normal tests are included in the ASQ package, but not usually this extra one.

I am surprised that your hotel is automatically requiring the testing of everyone on day 1. In that case, I assume the cost is included in the ASQ package.

11 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

AndrewMciver,

Happy for you, after the earlier disappointment.

From what we were told in August, the 72 hours validity would be verified when you board the flight that that originates in Dubai in your case.

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

I am unsure what effect the transfer in Dubai has on the timing of the Covid-19 test. My guess is that they will allow you to transit if your test result was within the 72-hour window at the time of your original departure.

The most common procedure is that, on arrival, the authorities inform the ASQ hotel that you must take a test. The hospital partner of the ASQ hotel does the test, and (in most cases) this is an extra charge. The normal tests are included in the ASQ package, but not usually this extra one.

I am surprised that your hotel is automatically requiring the testing of everyone on day 1. In that case, I assume the cost is included in the ASQ package.

Some ASQ packages have 3 tests included, one of which is on day of arrival

6 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I was under the impression that if returning to Thailand from the U.K. you have to apply through the Thai Embassy in London (with Thai Air )who issue a COE ?

It was reported on here recently that the Thai Embassy in London would issue a COE for those booked on these Emirates flights which transit through BKK.

4 minutes ago, treetops said:

It was reported on here recently that the Thai Embassy in London would issue a COE for those booked on these Emirates flights which transit through BKK.

So these flights are at fairly standard prices rather than the inflated Thai Airways repatriation flights ?

6 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

So these flights are at fairly standard prices rather than the inflated Thai Airways repatriation flights ?

A dummy booking on their website with random dates showed me Economy Class at ~ £700 GBP and Business Class at £2,331 for a return fare, so not quite regular prices but not too bad.

To the original poster, Emirates website currently says this:

"All passengers travelling to or connecting through Dubai must have a negative COVID-19 PCR test certificate to be accepted on the flight. The certificate must be for a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) swab test taken a maximum of 96 hours before departure. "

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/help/flying-to-and-from-dubai/tourists-travelling-to-dubai/

Edited by Tuvoc

The list of clinics the Thai Embassy London issues people with who are on repat flights. The CoE and TM8 are emailed by them as well. I've no idea how it works if you are not on a repat flight.

https: //www.londondoctorsclinic.co.uk/
https://www.one5.health/
https://doctap.co.uk/
https://gogodoc.com /
https://www.medicspot.co.uk/
https://www.citydoc.org.uk/

16 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

It's 72 hours before departure in the UK. 

You don't have to worry about anything when you arrive in Thailand. Just do what you're being told. 

2 hours ago, treetops said:

A dummy booking on their website with random dates showed me Economy Class at ~ £700 GBP and Business Class at £2,331 for a return fare, so not quite regular prices but not too bad.

Skyscanner showing single fare £440 from Heathrow,

https://www.skyscanner.net/transport/flights/lond/bkkt/200923/?adults=1&adultsv2=1&cabinclass=economy&children=0&childrenv2=&inboundaltsenabled=false&infants=0&outboundaltsenabled=false&preferdirects=false&preferflexible=false&ref=home&rtn=0

24 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I am confused I thought a COE if you lived in the U.K. had to be issued in London and the flights were only by Thai Air from Heathrow. Surely you wouldn’t be allowed to board a flight in Dubai without a COE .

You can't board a flight to Thailand without a COE. 

15 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

You can't board a flight to Thailand without a COE. 

I know but if you are flying from the U.K. via Dubai you would need a COE which currently the Thai Embassy in London is only issuing for repatriation flights, 3 of in September ?

4 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

So can we please clarify if i leave on Thursday 2pm ... i would need my test done on Monday 2pm ?

Is this correct ?! No horse poo that you need to match up with connection times in Dubai, or arrival in Bangkok? The legit test would be MONDAY 2PM ? 

Where are you getting your COE from ?

17 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

So can we please clarify if i leave on Thursday 2pm ... i would need my test done on Monday 2pm ?

Is this correct ?! No horse poo that you need to match up with connection times in Dubai, or arrival in Bangkok? The legit test would be MONDAY 2PM ? 

I would play safe by working with 72 hours window from the boarding time of DXB-BKK flight and not LHR-DXB sector.

We had 2 flights before boarding the repat flight to BKK. we were categorically told by the RTE to have < 72 hour covid result at the time of boarding the flight that landed in BKK.

This emirates arrangement is something new. best to clarify from RTE in UK.

59 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

The London Embassy advised me the following:

"For the COVID test and fit to fly, the results must be within 72 hours, so if the results are dated 11 or 12 Sept, even if you take the test on 10 or 11 Sept, it is ok."

This is for the London-BKK flight on 13th.  So it is the date of the result that is important, not the date of the actual test.

As to whether it is before the London flight or the Dubai flight I would contact the embassy.  The standard e-mail is slow at responding, but the officer who e-mailed me confirming my seat was very quick at responding to queries.

57 minutes ago, mjakob007 said:

I would play safe by working with 72 hours window from the boarding time of DXB-BKK flight and not LHR-DXB sector.

We had 2 flights before boarding the repat flight to BKK. we were categorically told by the RTE to have < 72 hour covid result at the time of boarding the flight that landed in BKK.

This emirates arrangement is something new. best to clarify from RTE in UK.

Exactly the above Andrew.

Firstly, congratulations on securing your CoE and Repatriation flight.

I’m surprised to see the Embassy are now repatriating people with Emirates, but it shows the flights and options are opening up. 

With regards to the Covid-19 Test <72hrs before departure. Your situation is somewhat unique as repatriation flights from the UK have been direct flights up until now. Thus, the best advice you can get on this is from those who’ve flown further (i.e. from the US). 

As majakob007 mentioned above - play it safe.

If you were to take a Covid-19 test that guarantees 48 hrs results you will still get the results on the day you fly. 

Best option is to find a place which will give you results in 24 hrs and take the test on the Tuesday, get the results on the Wednesday.

Same day test results: 

https://www.thelondongeneralpractice.com/covid-19-testing/

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Exactly the above Andrew.

Firstly, congratulations on securing your CoE and Repatriation flight.

I’m surprised to see the Embassy are now repatriating people with Emirates, but it shows the flights and options are opening up. 

With regards to the Covid-19 Test <72hrs before departure. Your situation is somewhat unique as repatriation flights from the UK have been direct flights up until now. Thus, the best advice you can get on this is from those who’ve flown further (i.e. from the US). 

As majakob007 mentioned above - play it safe.

If you were to take a Covid-19 test that guarantees 48 hrs results you will still get the results on the day you fly. 

Best option is to find a place which will give you results in 24 hrs and take the test on the Tuesday, get the results on the Wednesday.

Same day test results: 

https://www.thelondongeneralpractice.com/covid-19-testing/

Looking at the Thai Embassy website they are not using Emirates for Repatriation flights but Thai Air, 3 of all direct flights. I would like to know and keep asking how he has organised his own flight with Emirates as it could assist others.
Test confirmed by phone call, it has to be in writing ?

Edited by Jumbo1968
Edit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Looking at the Thai Embassy website they are not using Emirates for Repatriation flights but Thai Air, 3 of all direct flights. I would like to know and keep asking how he has organised his own flight with Emirates as it could assist others.

Very interesting question indeed

i hope the OP could take 2 or 3 minutes of his precious time to answer on this one

afaik untill now the only seat avalaible for the foreigners using the RTE in UK were the

expensive ones on Thai airways in business, so it's a major change

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1