Resumption of tourism between China and Thailand 'not happening any time soon'

webfact

2 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

It should stay this way until there is a vaccine. And that goes for ANY tourism. 

A big problem i see happening is tourists refusing to wear masks, especially now with all these Anti-maskers growing on a daily basis :crazy:

mask.jpg

Except in China they have mostly stopped wearing masks. 

32 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

What metric(s) will they use to determine when to open the country?  To put some perspective on this, the CDC in the US says they will be happy with a vaccine that is 50% effective (they are hoping for 70% the same as the flu vaccine).  Then there is production, distribution and inoculation ... this will take us to, at best, end next year with a vaccine that’s maybe 50% effective.  Let’s also not forget that many will refuse the vaccine.  A likely scenario is a 50% effective vaccine that has been administered to 50% of the population by end 2021.  So when will it be safe enough to reopen?  Does anyone seriously think people can get by indefinitely under these circumstances?  It does not matter to the Chinese government, they don’t give a toss about tourism.

Bill Gates said 30-60% uptake is sufficient.

The world will reopen when the WHO and other international institutions agree. This will happen on their timeline and could very well be independent of vaccines and therapeutics. 

China is already mostly open domestically, without a vaccine and they have mostly taken off their masks. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, JoePai said:

Some good news for Pattaya

And for the rest of the country.  I'm worried about the Amnesty ending on 26th September where does one get a visa from to stay in Thailand . If you go out how does one get back in.  Immigration or the Government aren't being helpful about it . The virus is not going away overnight . 

• Thanks 1

I went outside to eat with family yesterday, at the new Mum Aroy near Silverlake in Pattaya. Place was packed with Thais, there was maybe four whiteys, including myself, among hundreds of Thais. Thoroughly enjoyable, no shouting, ill mannered, spitting Chinese, no tour buses clogging the traffic, just normal Thais enjoying a nice dinner. Like it used to be a long time ago.

Build a wall.

7 hours ago, JoePai said:

Some good news for Pattaya

I visited Pattaya for the first time in 2018, not sure why I waited so long to visit.. But me and the GF (who also had never been there before either) exited the ferry from Hua Hin at Pattaya port, and we were both truly shocked to see the entire boardwalk and city crowded with Chinese. It was ridiculous at the number of Chinese people there. It must have been 9 Chinese to 1 Thai throughout the entire city from what I could gather, and us whiteys were even more of a rarity  

Edited by Mung
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, calbts2 said:

I must say a very positive result from being "safe and sealed".

How long can it last?

In the meantime - Enjoy the benefits of the peace and clean air without all of those exhaust spewing tour buses.

And yes extra prawn availability at the buffets????

Nice to walk around Sanam Luang  with out the smell of tourist bus exhaust  running all the time polluting the air.

2 hours ago, vandeventer said:

This is good news for the whole of Thailand,who knows what they will bring here,maybe covid-20

This is good news for the entire Planet, not just Thailand.

That is IF the Chinese do not send their Tourists out of China.

With the recent Historical past regarding China and Virus(s), there  is a very strong possibility that there is something sinister waiting in the wings to be unleashed upon us all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Enzian said:

According to worldometers, while the US has 583 deaths per mil pop, and a dozen or more countries are in that ballpark or worse, China has only 3 per mil pop! And the other metrics for China are similarly impressive. So what are we waiting for?

Oh, and if you believe China's numbers, I have a bridge over the River Kwai to sell you, the Death Railway appropriately (though I know, the Japanese first built it).

The Japanese didn't build the bridge. They had it built but not by Japanese Labour. Many prisoner's of war died building it, including Thai people.

Edited by Percy P

3 hours ago, Enzian said:

According to worldometers, while the US has 583 deaths per mil pop, and a dozen or more countries are in that ballpark or worse, China has only 3 per mil pop! And the other metrics for China are similarly impressive. So what are we waiting for?

Oh, and if you believe China's numbers, I have a bridge over the River Kwai to sell you, the Death Railway appropriately (though I know, the Japanese first built it).

Japan did not build the Bridge over the River, they had it built by prisoners of their war which many died including Thai people

8 hours ago, webfact said:

China this year has not set a target for economic growth

really, for the past 10 years always "manipulated numbers"  around 7% and never caught, this time not that easy as world keeps their eyes open

Chinese tourists typically stay for less than a week. That this kind of tourism isn't compatible with having to quarantine for 14 days goes without saying.

Also, the Chinese government uses this pandemic to promote domestic tourism and they don't seem to be in a hurry to let ordinary citizens (non government, non business) travel abroad again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, djayz said:

What a pity... none of the usual "must see" attractions are the same without the hordes of tourists. 

we sure will miss the screaming/yelling, spitting and mostly the pushing around on the waiting lines

4 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

It should stay this way until there is a vaccine. And that goes for ANY tourism. 

A big problem i see happening is tourists refusing to wear masks, especially now with all these Anti-maskers growing on a daily basis :crazy:

mask.jpg

They already do. I see tons of foreigners (and Thais) in Chiang Mai only wearing masks to go inside but once they are inside they take it off. Or, the family tourists where the parents will have masks on but their heathen kids do not. And the heathen kids are putting their fingers in their mouths and touching everything....you need to get your kids under control folks.