Australia expects to receive AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine within months

snoop1130

Just now, robblok said:

Yep and I hope that people who refuse to be vaccinated will not gain entry in Thailand for instance and other countries. Show them that refusal to get vaccinated and protect others comes at a cost. 

The virus has mutated and will continue to do so.  There will be no effective vaccine.  When is the last time you saw a vaccine for aids?  

8 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

The virus has mutated and will continue to do so.  There will be no effective vaccine.  When is the last time you saw a vaccine for aids?  

Just let the experts have their say about this. They know better then you and me. Just have to wait and see. I am bright, but no expert and i have learned that its best to let experts handle things at times. 

Right now its too early to tell. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

<snip>

My own plan, if it becomes mandatory - will be a generous bung to the nurse/doctor to squirt that <deleted> down the sink and then take it in about 3-5 years time if people aren't banging their heads against walls at that point.

Reminds me of when I was working in Egypt back in the 1980's. A test for AIDS had just been set up as part of the work permit process and a doctor and a couple of nurses pitched up at our construction site near El Alamein. Our Project Manager (a Brit) was not available for the test so our local Admin guy, Abdul Aziz, gave a sample of blood in his place. Luckily the test result was clear but, strangely, there was no issue with the doc signing off the sample as coming from a different guy.....:biggrin:

Just now, robblok said:

Just let the experts have their say about this. They know better then you and me. Just have to wait and see. I am bright, but no expert and i have learned that its best to let experts handle things at times. 

Right now its too early to tell. 

okay then no need to be pushing for mandatory vaccines on a vaccine that doesn't even exist and probably won't....

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

Given what we know about the process of releasing new medicines and vaccines - the trials and the testing periods etc - the loonies are the one's that take this rushed out POS.

It is a real shame it became a race. Couldn't mankind have once put all the best and brightest together to produce the vaccine?

Nope

What happened was profit making organizations around the world all "raced" to get it out because of the absolutely massive profits to be made if they became 'the one'. If you think corners weren't cut in that process -you need your head examined.

My own plan, if it becomes mandatory - will be a generous bung to the nurse/doctor to squirt that <deleted> down the sink and then take it in about 3-5 years time if people aren't banging their heads against walls at that point.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/08/health/coronavirus-astrazeneca-vaccine-safety.html

39 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

okay then no need to be pushing for mandatory vaccines on a vaccine that doesn't even exist and probably won't....

Once it exists, why would i push for it as long as it does not work or exist. Seems foolish to me. 

What is the logic for thinking i would push for something that does not exist of course a perquisite of pushing for it to be mandatory is for it to exist and to be tested and safe. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Yep and I hope that people who refuse to be vaccinated will not gain entry in Thailand for instance and other countries. Show them that refusal to get vaccinated and protect others comes at a cost. 

Can I ask why, little sheep?

If someone doesn't take the vaccine, they are not putting others at risk. We know who the high-risk groups are and right now, that's pretty much the same group that gets flu vaccine every year.

Why should this suddenly become mandatory?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Can I ask why, little sheep?

If someone doesn't take the vaccine, they are not putting others at risk. We know who the high-risk groups are and right now, that's pretty much the same group that gets flu vaccine every year.

Why should this suddenly become mandatory?

I guess you have no idea how vaccinations work. Your a bright guy study a bit more. Reasons for making it mandatory are the following. The more people who wont take it the less protection there is for those who have taken the vaccine and don't respond to it and those who cannot take it for medical reasons. 

The higher the amount of people taking it the better it works as there is less chance for spreading. So those freeloaders who do want the economy to open up an travel to be free again should at least pay a price for their unwillingness to help everyone else out.

If those two groups the non respondents and the ones who really could not take it were not there then your argument would hold. Now its just selfish. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, polpott said:

Yes they are. You need 80% immunity for the virus to disappear. Until then people will continue to die.

80% immunity will happen with or without a vaccine. 

If I am in a low risk group and those in high-risk groups get vaccinated - how am I causing an issue? Surely I am aiding in the process of herd immunity.

1 minute ago, pedro01 said:

If I am in a low risk group and those in high-risk groups get vaccinated - how am I causing an issue? Surely I am aiding in the process of herd immunity.

What herd immunity? Where?

5 hours ago, robblok said:

I guess you have no idea how vaccinations work. Your a bright guy study a bit more. Reasons for making it mandatory are the following. The more people who wont take it the less protection there is for those who have taken the vaccine and don't respond to it and those who cannot take it for medical reasons. 

The higher the amount of people taking it the better it works as there is less chance for spreading. So those freeloaders who do want the economy to open up an travel to be free again should at least pay a price for their unwillingness to help everyone else out.

If those two groups the non respondents and the ones who really could not take it were not there then your argument would hold. Now its just selfish. 

Study? You mean google sites that agree with my viewpoint so I can come back here and spout the nonsense I found?

The Flu virus is given to at-risk groups, not everyone - because while everyone can get flu, they are not really at risk.

Spanish Flu was much worse than COVID, yet it came and went, just as this will. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Its estimated that in the US to achieve 80% immunity through herd immunity a further 2 million people would die.

If you get it, you are not guaranteed to recover but also there's a good chance that you will infect someone who will die.

11 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Study? You mean google sites that agree with my viewpoint so I can come back here and spout the nonsense I found?

The Flu virus is given to at-risk groups, not everyone - because while everyone can get flu, they are not really at risk.

Descendants of the 1918 influenza virus still circulate today, and current seasonal influenza vaccines provide some protection against the 1918 virus.

14 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

QUOTE: Spanish Flu was much worse than COVID, yet it came and went, just as this will.

While you're at it, please PM me the winning lottery numbers.

14 hours ago, polpott said:

Its estimated that in the US to achieve 80% immunity through herd immunity a further 2 million people would die.

If you get it, you are not guaranteed to recover but also there's a good chance that you will infect someone who will die.

No, there is a very slim chance you would infect anybody and an even slimmer chance they would die. 

As for the 2 million deathd, the stats being used are those that died with covid, not from covid. It is stupidly extrapolated from that. None of the covid death predictions were realistic, they have all been overstated. 

Hyperbole isn't going to win over common sense. 

8 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

No, there is a very slim chance you would infect anybody and an even slimmer chance they would die. 

As for the 2 million deathd, the stats being used are those that died with covid, not from covid. It is stupidly extrapolated from that. None of the covid death predictions were realistic, they have all been overstated. 

Hyperbole isn't going to win over common sense. 

And non fact based rhetoric isn't going to win over anyone.

In the UK R0 currently stands at 1. That equates to every person contracting Covid would infect one other person. With herd immunity R0 would, by necessity, be much higher.

Edited by polpott

22 minutes ago, polpott said:

And non fact based rhetoric isn't going to win over anyone.

In the UK R0 currently stands at 1. That equates to every person contracting Covid would infect one other person. With herd immunity R0 would, by necessity, be much higher.

118,000 in the US military tested positive for covid. 

7 of them died. 

The panic is overblown. 

I don't like the looks of this type of vaccine, Australia buying it will mean mandatory jabbing by hook or crook. Trials recently halted due to side effects, but money talks, it will go ahead. May need to think about getting back to Thailand before medical fascism starts jack booting in Oz.

• Like 1