How to stay in Thailand as ED student

Good morning!

I have been in Thailand for now 8 months on ED visa, learning Thai language.

I see a lot of information everywhere concerning tourists and long term expats (retired and mariage) but not that much about ED.

My visa ends on 14 of september (i am not yet on amnesty but i might be from 14 to 26 if i do not find a solution).

The normal plan would have been to go out for example to Vietnam and Malaysia and apply for the second ED visa that would last another 6 months. But as you know that is not possible anytime soon.

Now what i know:

- The school has prepared avery document and sent it in case Bangkok immigration allows the application to the new visa without leaving the country, which has been requested by the ministry of education. But no news about this yet.

- The school has advised me to request a 30 days extension at embassy (for me that would be France, any experience?)

- I fear that once my visa expires, i will be considered a simple amnesty tourist and that it might make things harder concerning visas?

I am also looking at options for if i really have to leave the country. I do not want to come back to infected europe, i was thinking about Vietnam or Cambodia (Vietnam seems to have reasonnable price for quarantine, under a thousand dollar in private hotels): Has anyone figured a plan B in a country that doesnt have too much corona?

Thank you all :)

You would not be able to apply for a new non-ed visa at immigration. Tha can only be done if on a visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

I would guess that your non-ed visa expired long ago and you have been getting extension of stay at immigration.

If the school has all the required supporting documents you could  apply for another 90 day extension of stay at immigration.

If you got a 30 day extension with a letter from you embassy it would be a extension of your current permit to stay that was obtained with a non-ed before.

I'm in a similar situation, only my stamp expires one month after yours. I've been told by my school as well as others to wait and hope for an announcement from the government regarding people in our situation. They tell me that we should hear something by the 14-15th of September. I don't know if the fact that your stamp runs out then affects your situation. I'd hurry up and contact my embassy and ask for a letter requesting an extension based on Covid fear back home and needing time to sort out the correct visa in Thailand. Better to have that letter ready, were you to need it.

If no announcement were to come, there's still a chance that you might be able get a volunteer visa from an agency (for a hefty fee). Best of luck!

I am currently on tourist visa (amnesty). I was planning to go to Vientiane for my ED visa. I’ve paid the school and have all the signed documents back from the ministry of education. 

It’s not really clear to me, or I don’t understand. Will I be able to go to immigration and get my ED visa? 

thanks in advance 

16 minutes ago, Demy said:

It’s a language school sadly. But I don’t get why they don’t give you the stamp without leaving since I’ve paid for it already and got the paperwork. 

Some schools can help you convert to an ed visa without leaving the country.  But only some schools with good connections with immigration can do this and there would be a significant extra fee.  Ask your school if they can help you.  A good agent may also be able to help you.  You generally can't do it yourself at immigration for a language school.

you need to hurry.  you only have until the 11th to apply.

Edited by Phillip9

2 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

Some schools can help you convert to an ed visa without leaving the country.  But only some schools with good connections with immigration can do this and there would be a significant extra fee.

I was told an extra 20,000 baht to convert to an Ed visa without leaving the country. 

6 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

I was told an extra 20,000 baht to convert to an Ed visa without leaving the country. 

That is pretty expensive.  I think most schools have been charging 15,000 or less.  But prices are probably going up near the deadline.

5 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

That is pretty expensive.  I think most schools have been charging 15,000 or less.  But prices are probably going up near the deadline.

That was around 1-2 months ago.

The course was around 36,000. Plus visa extension and immigration stuff totalled around 20,000 for the year, plus you needed to leave and get the visa in another country, and at the end they said for an extra 20,000 the visa can be changed without leaving the country.