Todays application for a 60 day extension of expired non-o multi entry

I had the same experiences when obtaining my 60 day extension for my (valid through 2021) non-immigrant "o"   I always try to have all my documentation ready-to-go for an uneventful experience but it never seems to work out that way: The goalposts are always moving/changing.  Overall, it was not a good experience.

The immigration officer very closely scrutinized all pages in my passport several times.  I had to copy about 10 consecutive pages including exit/entry stamps from 2011-2013 through several non-related countries when going back to work in the Middle East.  For some reason, they took issue with my last exit stamp from Dec. 2018 (almost 2 years ago). I entered Thailand under my current visa in March 2020 and no travel between Dec. 2018 and Mar 2020.  I've never experienced this close of scrutiny regardless of the country!

As well they wanted to start my extension on the date I applied (8 September).  I very politely mentioned the announcement from immigration that all extensions would start as of 27 September and it was being done to reduce overcrowding.  Eventually, I did get the correct days starting on the 27th.  I would recommend taking a printout of the announcement from Thai immigration (in Thai language) to show their local immigration in case they have a similar experience?

Lastly, and perhaps someone could help me with this issue, I thought once my wife and myself registered our "home" in Ubon with immigration, we didn't have to continually report our address when she and I go on vacation in Thailand.  My wife and I went to Pattaya one month ago.  At that time, the hotel correctly reported that I was staying there.  During this trip to immigration last Tuesday, the officer told me to be careful about reporting my address correctly with them because they had it in their system I was in a hotel in Pattaya.  So, if I stay in Ubon in "our house" and then go on vacation to Pattaya, I have to report my "home address" again to immigration upon my return home?  I was not fined for this, but definitely given a warning.  I would not like having to go to immigration to report my address every month when I travel through Thailand!  Advice is appreciated...

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, hosser2000 said:

Lastly, and perhaps someone could help me with this issue, I thought once my wife and myself registered our "home" in Ubon with immigration, we didn't have to continually report our address when she and I go on vacation in Thailand.  My wife and I went to Pattaya one month ago.  At that time, the hotel correctly reported that I was staying there.  During this trip to immigration last Tuesday, the officer told me to be careful about reporting my address correctly with them because they had it in their system I was in a hotel in Pattaya.  So, if I stay in Ubon in "our house" and then go on vacation to Pattaya, I have to report my "home address" again to immigration upon my return home?  I was not fined for this, but definitely given a warning.  I would not like having to go to immigration to report my address every month when I travel through Thailand!  Advice is appreciated...

Look up threads regarding TM 30 regulations.

Edited by trucking

34 minutes ago, hosser2000 said:

As well they wanted to start my extension on the date I applied (8 September).  I very politely mentioned the announcement from immigration that all extensions would start as of 27 September and it was being done to reduce overcrowding.  Eventually, I did get the correct days starting on the 27th.  I would recommend taking a printout of the announcement from Thai immigration (in Thai language) to show their local immigration in case they have a similar experience?

Yes, you were absolutely right to politely mention the recently issued InfoGraphic announcement that ANY extension of stay will start from 27 September.  That announcement can leave no doubt whatsoever, and luckily the IO was not adamant and insisted that it would be from start-date (like at Kanchanaburi IO as reported by @edwinchester ).  Well done from your part!

>> So it is recommended to take a copy of that InfoGraphic with you when applying for an extension, in case your IO is not aware of the nation-wide IO policy on that issue.

You can download a thai version of the Graphic from the Immigration website.

Sept 27 start date any Visa or extension application.jpg

32 minutes ago, trucking said:

Look up threads regarding TM 30 regulations.

Any of them prior to June 30th would be out of date since that is when a new immigration regulation for them went into effect.

A new TM30 report is only needed if you change your registered address that immigration has.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, hosser2000 said:

Once again, you are absolutely correct and IO has it wrong.

Since 30 June 2020 you ONLY need to file a TM-30 of your 'home' JUST ONCE.  And that TM-30 stays valid as long as your permission to stay is kept alive (this includes extensions as well as Re-Entry Permits).  So no need to file a new TM-30 when returning back 'home' from domestic trips or even from trips abroad (when staying on the same Visa/permission to stay).

Attached the TM30 reporting regulation issued June 30, 2020 outlining the above.

>> I also PM-ed you a TM-30 Guideline document with additional information on TM-30, and how to register on the IO TM-30 website which allows you to file a TM-30 of any foreigner staying at your home (no need to do that only for yourself, as 'once' registered is sufficient).

TM30 reporting regulation dd 30-06-2020.pdf

18 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi drJack,

Why would Immigration make a distinction between types of extension, when the goal is to avoid over-crowding of Immigration offices by all those waiting till last days of the Amnesty to avoid 'losing days' of their extension.

The InfoGraphic is CRYSTAL-CLEAR that it applies to ALL type of extensions (yes even for regular 1-year extensions of stay based on a Non Imm O Visa - several reports of that).

But overcrowding of the Immigration offices on 23-24-25 Sept will be inevitable, because:

1 - Applicants not trusting their local IO anymore, when despite the InfoGraphic announcement some local IOs are still issuing extensions from date of application, and applicants thus wisely postponing their application to avoid such day-of-application start date;

2 - Persistent rumors that the Cabinet might approve a 3rd extension of the Amnesty, which would effectively mean that applicants unnecessary 'wasted' the short-term extension option they had.  Only a clear Cabinet announcement that the Amnesty will NOT be extended, will avoid applicants (wisely) postponing their application.

Number 2 Peter they won't do this because "They really need are 1900 baht" They get nothing from a amnesty even if it is the right thing to do as most of the world is on lock down and most flights are canceled.

22 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Here's my report of today's visit to Kanchanaburi immigration for a 60 day extension of my expired on June 5th non-o multi entry visa based on marriage to a Thai wife.

why did you not just direct to 1 year extension ?

it is the same price

and you are only allowed 1  x  60 day to visit your wife, per entry, which might be super difficult now

14 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

why did you not just direct to 1 year extension ?

it is the same price

and you are only allowed 1  x  60 day to visit your wife, per entry, which might be super difficult now

Need to season 400,000 in bank for 2 months before you can apply for an extension based on marriage.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bart1979 said:

Thanks for very useful info, edwinchester.

Does anyone have similar feedback from Jomtien immigration ?

I was about to do the very same thing today as OP, but after reading his post, I just stay put 

Why not go to Jomtien immigration and ask them yourself? You're in and out in 5 minutes. 

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

In my thinking there are ME marriage folk obtaining 60 extension to visit wife 60 days and inturn obtaining annual extension based on marriage or retirement as is the OP. 

The extension would commence day of application.

Then there is group of folk that entered on tourist visa, visa exempt that will apply for 30 day extension (with or without embassy letter) that extension would start Sept 27.

The infographic is misleading.

I could be completely wrong.

Jack, Your thinking IMHO is wrong. It very clearly does not differentiate the types of Visas with one rule for group A and another rule for group B, but as I also report to an IO that seems to have their own rules. I'll be waiting at least another week.

(I'm not really bothered by crowding).

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
punctuation change
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Why not go to Jomtien immigration and ask them yourself? You're in and out in 5 minutes. 

Forums are places to exchange information like OP did.

I go to immigration when absolutely necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a Non-Imm "O" ME visa based on marriage because in November last year the IO refused to accept my extension application because he was adamant about the 40,000 every month whereas the Australian aged pension is paid at 4 week intervals and we get 13 payments per year and the Police Order states  "Annual Average Income" and if this was taken I was in excess of the 40,000 per month so I was forced to get a Non-Imm "O" marriage visa from Savannakhet and do the 90 day border runs. I have never used the 60 day extensions until now so I went with my wife to Khon Kaen Immigration yesterday for the 60 day extension and was given a 60 day extension dated from 27th September till 25th November plus a 90 day report dated for 7th December. I do not know what the 90 day report is for as both my visa and the extension expire in November

6 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

was given a 60 day extension dated from 27th September till 25th November plus a 90 day report dated for 7th December. I do not know what the 90 day report is for as both my visa and the extension expire in November

Thanks for the report.

In case you want to stay longer in Thailand, you could apply for the 1-year extension of stay using the 400K funds-in-bank method.  The funds need to be seasoned for 2 months at moment of application.  Which in your case means that you would have to transfer the funds to your personal Thai bank-account (a joint one is not accepted by IO) ultimately 19 September, so that you can apply for that 1-year extension of stay a couple of days before 25 November with still some days to spare in case your application is incomplete and you need to get hold of additional documentation.

Since Khon Kaen did your first 90-day report already for you, when you applied there in person, you can your next 90-day report on-line (before due date of 7 December).  The window for doing that is within 15 days before till actual due date (when doing it on-line).  When doing it in person at your Khon Kaen IO it's the same application window but you also have a 1 week grace-period counting from due-date to do it.

1 hour ago, trucking said:

I was going today but am also delaying.  Looks like a lot of immigration offices are going to be busy around the 21st onwards.  Hope they enjoy the crowds that turn up.

Delaying your application makes sense because

- some offices are STILL using the day-of-application as start-date for your application, despite the nation-wide IO policy that ALL extensions will start from 27 Sept;

- there are some persistent rumors that despite Immigration's insistence that the Amnesty will end 26 September, that the Cabinet might announce a 3rd extension of the Amnesty.  The Cabinet meetings of 15 and 22 Sept are dates to watch, because those dates are the 2 last chances an Amnesty-extension can be decided.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Delaying your application makes sense because

- some offices are STILL using the day-of-application as start-date for your application, despite the nation-wide IO policy that ALL extensions will start from 27 Sept;

- there are some persistent rumors that despite Immigration's insistence that the Amnesty will end 26 September, that the Cabinet might announce a 3rd extension of the Amnesty.  The Cabinet meetings of 15 and 22 Sept are dates to watch, because those dates are the 2 last chances an Amnesty-extension can be decided.

Well , I have been doing the maths and I think I will go tomorrow anyway. If granted , the 60 days extension will be enough to ensure my 400,000 has had its 2 months seasoning. My other concern being that my non O from Savannahket expires on the 16th and one poster in a different thread was told that you cant extend an expired visa. I agree with Ubon Joe that this is nonsense but for the sake of a few more days I have decided not to risk it.

As for a possible further amnesty extension , unless it is a long one into next year then not much use to me. If I wait too long before applying for a 1 year extension I might dip into the 400,000. I am also mulling the idea of leaving for the UK anyway in late November but no decision made as yet. If Covid flares up at the start of winter then the UK could be a bad place to be.

Other Amnesties have been for three months. If this were the same again then a new amnesty would expire late December , around Christmas time. Not good timing. So if they do extend it might be for only 2 months or for 4 months. Just an opinion.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, edwinchester said:

As a follow up.....wifey suggested I pay Immigration a visit today and show them the official Thai Immigration website infographic. The upshot is that I now have an extension until the 25th November.

What was pretty clear is that the officer who I dealt with yesterday seemed unaware of the deferred date. As soon as her supervisor was queried they said for the expiration to be changed to the 25th.

Good result for you. It illustrates perfectly that whatever the official line is , many offices in the provinces are just not being properly informed of official announcements.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Went yesterday to Phuket office and was told the same " from today " extension.

I showed the IO the from27th announcement, she got huffy and said it wasn't real!

As the "from today" still fits my needs I rolled with it rather than risking the wrath of the IO, especially as she had swallowed my excuse for not having a Kor Ror 22.

Edited by pookett
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pookett said:

I showed the IO the from27th announcement, she got huffy and said it wasn't real!

As the "from today" still fits my needs I rolled with it rather than risking the wrath of the IO, especially as she had swallowed my excuse for not having a Kor Ror 22.

2 hours ago, pookett said:

That's a shame. I actually handed the Officer my smartphone so she could see it was on Immigrations own govt website and it was fun to see her check it out with a couple of others.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/9/2020 at 1:28 PM, RubbaJohnny said:

Thanks, seems unfair and you were lied too also contrary to their own publicity.Has anyone else had teh same experience as this will encourage all to wait until the last moment.

ext start 27th.jpg

I fail to understand why people believe that their interpretation of translated text is the only correct one.

The way it was explained to me by immigration is that the announcement meant that anyone who is granted a 30 day extension based on medical or embassy letter, that extension will start from 27th Sept irrespective of their current visa status.

Basically speaking the announcement was only in respect of 30 day extensions, nothing else. There is no dispute the wording is misleading and I pointed that out to immigration, all she said was she didn't write it. There is obviously a difference of opinion among immigration so little chance that anyone on here can be definitive on the correct interpretation.

At the end of the day it is up to whoever is holding the stamp.

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I fail to understand why people believe that their interpretation of translated text is the only correct one.

The way it was explained to me by immigration is that the announcement meant that anyone who is granted a 30 day extension based on medical or embassy letter, that extension will start from 27th Sept irrespective of their current visa status.

Basically speaking the announcement was only in respect of 30 day extensions, nothing else. There is no dispute the wording is misleading and I pointed that out to immigration, all she said was she didn't write it. There is obviously a difference of opinion among immigration so little chance that anyone on here can be definitive on the correct interpretation.

At the end of the day it is up to whoever is holding the stamp.

As you said  > At the end of the day it is up to whoever is holding the stamp.

Unfortunately we are at the mercy of uninformed Immigration officers because in this particular case there can be absolutely no discussion about what the InfoGraphic states - It applies to the permission date of ALL Visa types

And already some reports have been posted that such misinterpretation by an uninformedBe Imm officer has been corrected by the officer in charge when applicant asked to plead his case there, or when confronting the IO with the Immigration website announcement in Thai.

Luckily this misinterpretation by some officers has little consequences (except a wasted visit to IO).  Because applicant can simply refrain from doing his application when his IO is adamant that the extension will start from date of application.  And then come back in the final days of the Amnesty to re-apply. 

The reason this across the board 27 Sept start-date of ALL extension-applications has been launched was to avoid the foreseeable overcrowding of Immigration offices, if all applicants will show up at last minute to avoid any loss of days from the extension they apply for.

If it was not so sad, it's almost funny how IO sabotages its own plans by their lack of communication.

1 minute ago, Peter Denis said:

As you said  > At the end of the day it is up to whoever is holding the stamp.

Unfortunately we are at the mercy of uninformed Immigration officers because in this particular case there can be absolutely no discussion about what the InfoGraphic states - It applies to the permission date of ALL Visa types

And already some reports have been posted that such misinterpretation by an uninformedBe Imm officer has been corrected by the officer in charge when applicant asked to plead his case there, or when confronting the IO with the Immigration website announcement in Thai.

Luckily this misinterpretation by some officers has little consequences (except a wasted visit to IO).  Because applicant can simply refrain from doing his application when his IO is adamant that the extension will start from date of application.  And then come back in the final days of the Amnesty to re-apply. 

The reason this across the board 27 Sept start-date of ALL extension-applications has been launched was to avoid the foreseeable overcrowding of Immigration offices, if all applicants will show up at last minute to avoid any loss of days from the extension they apply for.

If it was not so sad, it's almost funny how IO sabotages its own plans by their lack of communication.

You are free to believe what you want, didn't you say you had me on ignore?

33 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You are free to believe what you want, didn't you say you had me on ignore?

I was actually in agreement with what you wrote that at the end of the day it is the Immigration Officer that you are dealing with is calling the shots, irrespective whether he/she is correct in their interpretation.

But are you now saying that the Immigration Officer is correct and that the 27 Sept extension application start-date announcement ONLY applies for 30 day extensions, nothing else?

Or was your response just a snide remark because of some differences in opinion we had on earlier subjects weeks/months ago?

Ok , went today for my own 60 day extension today and was pleased to find that  Petchabun immigration now has the info graphic plastered all over their walls and are now following official policy of starting all visas from 27th September. Required no nudging from me. Maybe the guy I spoke to at head office did send them an email as he promised.  

Whole process took an hour. A bit longer than necessary because wife had never informed immigration she has a falang residing at her address. Result slapped wrist and 1600 baht fine for her although it was me who paid her fine. No big deal and very friendly and helpful all around. I had informed her of this requirement before but she gave it the bird. Up to her.

All paperwork was in order although they wanted 2 copies of everything so I had to cross the mezzanine floor to get these done. As for passport copies, only info page , visa page and TM 6 page wanted. Gave us advice on when to come for the 1 year extension and what documents to bring. All in all no big deal and an hour is nothing compared to other things I have done here . ( like registering our first car in person instead of getting an agent to do it .....several hours ).

So ....good for end of November. I might go for the 1 year extension or depart for the UK . Have to see how various things pan out.

• Thanks 1