getting a Retirement Non-Imm O after expired ED visa

I did a search but couldn't find anything for this specific situation so here goes.

I’m currently under the amnesty and still hold the paperwork from my Thai language school for my previous visa (ED) which expired in June. I’m 50 years old so intend to apply for a Non-Immigrant O Long Stay visa based on retirement. I have a Thai bank account with the 800,000 which has been there for over two months. This morning I visited an agent (Star Visa) here in Chiang mai and was told this Friday (the 11th) was the deadline for retirement visa applications as they need two weeks to process before the amnesty ends and I’d be on overstay. Does anyone know if this is true ? Also, they quoted me 19,000 baht to process the application for me which is crazy IMO. I’m going to the immigration office tomorrow with all the relevant paperwork completed to see if I can do it myself. Anyone else done this lately without an agent ? Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.

16 minutes ago, 4737 Carlin said:

This morning I visited an agent (Star Visa) here in Chiang mai and was told this Friday (the 11th) was the deadline for retirement visa applications

yes, friday is definitely the deadline.  I don't know if you can convert from an ED to retirement visa without an agent.  hopefully someone else more knowledgeable will reply.

• Thanks 1

In your case there is no 15 day processing time. That is only needed for a non immigrant visa application.

You already have a non-ed visa entry. You can apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement and it will be issued on the day you apply.

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2020 at 4:39 PM, ubonjoe said:

In your case there is no 15 day processing time. That is only needed for a non immigrant visa application.

You already have a non-ed visa entry. You can apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement and it will be issued on the day you apply.

Thank you for the replies. Ubonjoe was spot-on. I was able to get the retirement visa without any drama - just paid the 1,900b and it was done in an hour. The volunteers who stand outside the IO were very helpful in making sure all the paperwork was correct. I still can't believe the agent wanted 19,000 baht to do it - that's the last time I ask them about anything.