win 10 home ed. ms says I need to update, how to keep english lang.

IraqRon

Hi, I bought a second hand notebook and had the vendor enstall win 10 home edition, single language, english, and use one of their keys.  Now I get the message that the key is expiring soon and suggests update to win 10 pro or get another key.  Which way is best? 

If I were to do either option how do I make sure that any update will leave the language as English?  One time I had a shop update win 8 and the language changed automatically to Thai.  Not want to repeat that headache.

I am not tech savy so help is appreciated.

By stop using pirated software. Buy a real version of windows 10 with your private key. All other recommendations and advices that might come in this thread, will be deemed as recommending illegal activities, which is not allowed in this forum.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Buy a key off Ebay UK, last one i bought 3 pounds,

enter it into your notebook, language will stay the

same.I have bought a few keys from Ebay all worked

no problem, P.S, buy a Win 10 home key,if you buy Pro

you will have to do a fresh install of system.

regards worgeordie

thanks, I surely do not want to do a fresh install.

19 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

By stop using pirated software. Buy a real version of windows 10 with your private key. All other recommendations and advices that might come in this thread, will be deemed as recommending illegal activities, which is not allowed in this forum.

So is also many other things discussed about "how to stay in Thailand .".. ????

I guess you must be or bin a software related business guy to make such remark ????

No offence , understood everybody protect his business ????

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, david555 said:

I guess you must be or bin a software related business guy to make such remark ????

You can give offence to that guy, he is always negative about everything and everyone. Just ignore him, I do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, david555 said:

No never worked in any of those areas.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

You can give offence to that guy, he is always negative about everything and everyone. Just ignore him, I do. 

Oh, But mr Pilotman! Oh dear, now you have become TV-judge as well. Here you go decide that other people can give offence to specific members. How you get paid for it. ????

13 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

No never worked in any of those areas.

So you must be a very law abiding citizen ,

I don't mind if they leave gaps in their software …..,

I f I leave keys and not lock my car door in my abcense when in my country ….. it can cost me a fine if police see it …. so same same a bit different I would say …..as I provoke so a thieving they would claim (so by law )

they must lock their software doors better 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IraqRon said:

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Matzzon is as usual wrong.

IraqRon, the cheapest method to get Windows 10 is to buy a Windows 7 key from Ebay, install Windows 7 and then upgrade to Windows 10. There are legit keys for as few as 3 or 4 USD.

I paid 7 USD for Windows 7 Pro keys a few years back and then upgraded all my computers to Windows 10 Pro.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david555 said:

So you must be a very law abiding citizen ,

I don't mind if they leave gaps in their software …..,

I f I leave keys and not lock my car door in my abcense when in my country ….. it can cost me a fine if police see it …. so same same a bit different I would say …..as I provoke so a thieving they would claim (so by law )

they must lock their software doors better 

Good on you. Now you blamed the software companies for not locking out people that steal. Really??? You understand how bad that read?

Just now, Matzzon said:

Good on you. Now you blamed the software companies for not locking out people that steal. Really??? You understand how bad that read?

yes , and same moment they  employ such ones  to show them their gaps in their software so they can protect people to loose data losses or money losses sometimes ….. yes it is double ...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, tgw said:

Matzzon is as usual wrong.

IraqRon, the cheapest method to get Windows 10 is to buy a Windows 7 key from Ebay, install Windows 7 and then upgrade to Windows 10. There are legit keys for as few as 3 or 4 USD.

I paid 7 USD for Windows 7 Pro keys a few years back and then upgraded all my computers to Windows 10 Pro.

Yep, I think it´s not only win 10 that need an upgrade. @tgw will need one as well. The free upgrade from Win7 to Win 10 ended 4 years ago.

Even if it´s still possible to do, It´s exactly like I say, you must buy a real version, and not use pirated software.

2 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Yep, I think it´s not only win 10 that need an upgrade. @tgw will need one as well. The free upgrade from Win7 to Win 10 ended 4 years ago.

Even if it´s still possible to do, It´s exactly like I say, you must buy a real version, and not use pirated software.

my first legally windows was when I bought a laptop which had a version inside , Win 7 , before very efficient "tools " existed on the wweb for use , hence M$ft changed course and now every sold laptop has a Win 10  inside , so no need anymore for tools , and same moment M$ft found ways to have more access on our data and can sell that for marketing at a price …. so now all are satisfied

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

the upgrade to Win 10 from Win 7 is still possible and also free.

• Like 1

didn't intend to start this war of words.  I am not looking to cheat anyone.  The shop I bought from has a multi user license and apparently the users are on a time clock and mine is running out. 

Nevertheless ,  I am looking at buying the key from MS as saving money not only concern of mine.

I'm a bit confused with the references to windows 7 where the aim of the OP is to upgrade from W10 home to pro.

Windows 10 can be downloaded from Microsoft using the Windows 10 (2004) creation tool in ISO format or, installed onto a USB drive and then clean installed onto the machine. the ISO contains all versions of W10. Link is:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 

For installation you don't need a windows key. As others have mentioned you can purchase a key from many sources on the internet (including Lazada if you are in Thailand) prior to your upgrade (just make sure it corresponds to the flavour you are installing). While I understand that this is in the 'grey zone', as long as you aren't using this in a business environment you will be OK. IMO.

OP, I'm guessing that the key used last time on your machine was either Enterprise or VLK with an expiry of either 120 or 180 days. Again, IMO, if that is the case, it is much better to do a clean install and not upgrade, even with a new key, as I'm not sure how the VLK (volume limited key) or Enterprise key already installed would react.

7 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, I read that after. However. You need to have Win 7 with a real key first, which cement what I started with in this thread. End!

Incorrect!

Install Windows 10 using the "I don't have a product key" option and then make sure you select the correct version to install.  After that, activate it with the W7 key.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

Incorrect!

Install Windows 10 using the "I don't have a product key" option and then make sure you select the correct version to install.  After that, activate it with the W7 key.

Hey, are you from a planet that do not understand so well?

Ok, have the key first, and install after or install first and activate with the key later. What´s the difference? You do not need a key in both cases.

Did you have an AA-grade in Semantics in school?

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Ok, have the key first, and install after or install first and activate with the key later. What´s the difference? You do not need a key in both cases.

Still not sure what the fixation is on W7. See post #18 on this thread.

A vendor installed W10 home single language on his machine and he wants to upgrade to W10 pro.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 10:55 AM, Matzzon said:

Nonsense, as is usual.

Real version? Do you have any idea or are you just making it up?

The only advices(sic) that are waaaay off the mark in this thread, is yours.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Matzzon said:

More nonsense and error from yourself. You really should stop pontificating on subjects about which you clearly know nothing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, I read that after. However. You need to have Win 7 with a real key first, which cement what I started with in this thread. End!

Again wrong, because you know nothing about Royalty OEM. Stop confusing people with your erroneous and self righteous posts.

4 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Actually it is you who does not understand.

He just described one method. In another method, you do not need a private key at all. But since Microsoft claim that the free upgrades ended in 2016, does that make the upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 illegal?

I will reply to the OP's question separately, so that anyone can find the answer without having to read your 'efforts'.

On 9/10/2020 at 11:12 AM, IraqRon said:

Unfortunately none of the replies so far will help you.

If you have Home Single Language, then a Home Core key won't activate it. Similarly, neither will a Pro key.

But there may be a simple solution and that is to convert your Home Single Language to Pro and then use a Pro key to activate it.

You can definitely ignore Mattzon, as he should know that you don't even need a ket to utilise Windows 10. You can install and run it in perpetuity without activating it at all. No need for any kind of hack. So his posts about pirating are just....

Personally I would always run a clean install regardless. It is so ridiculously easy to install Windows 10. You are handicapping yourself by not doing so and putting yourself at risk, as you have no idea as to what is running on your PC.

But since the users of this forum almost always prefer the easy way out, try this:

1. Click Start Menu > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Change the product key.

2. Then enter the Windows 10 Pro Default Product Key below then click Next to Activate
    Windows 10 Pro Default Product Key: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

3. Restart the machine and check if the version has upgraded to Pro. If Yes then go to next step.

4. Click Start Menu > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Change the product key.

5. Then enter the Product Key you bought for 71 baht from Lazada then click Next to Activate

6. Restart the machine to check the activation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Unfortunately none of the replies so far will help you.

If you have Home Single Language, then a Home Core key won't activate it. Similarly, neither will a Pro key.

But there may be a simple solution and that is to convert your Home Single Language to Pro and then use a Pro key to activate it.

You can definitely ignore Mattzon, as he should know that you don't even need a ket to utilise Windows 10. You can install and run it in perpetuity without activating it at all. No need for any kind of hack. So his posts about pirating are just....

Personally I would always run a clean install regardless. It is so ridiculously easy to install Windows 10. You are handicapping yourself by not doing so and putting yourself at risk, as you have no idea as to what is running on your PC.

But since the users of this forum almost always prefer the easy way out, try this:

1. Click Start Menu > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Change the product key.

2. Then enter the Windows 10 Pro Default Product Key below then click Next to Activate
    Windows 10 Pro Default Product Key: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

3. Restart the machine and check if the version has upgraded to Pro. If Yes then go to next step.

4. Click Start Menu > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Change the product key.

5. Then enter the Product Key you bought for 71 baht from Lazada then click Next to Activate

6. Restart the machine to check the activation.

Thank you very much for a sensible response and answer to what I have been looking for. I replaced my desktop with an Acer AIO with Win 10 Home and sibgle language. 

My old desktop was running Win 10 Pro and the product key for that is rejected by Win 10 when I try to upgrade to Pro.

Using your method do I stil need to get a new Win 10 Pro  product key?

I am quite happy to do a fresh clean download which leaves all my files and data intact.

Just now, billd766 said:

Thank you very much for a sensible response and answer to what I have been looking for. I replaced my desktop with an Acer AIO with Win 10 Home and sibgle language. 

My old desktop was running Win 10 Pro and the product key for that is rejected by Win 10 when I try to upgrade to Pro.

Using your method do I stil need to get a new Win 10 Pro  product key?

I am quite happy to do a fresh clean download which leaves all my files and data intact.

Likely you'll need a new Windows 10 Pro key. Hardly an imposition at 71 baht. But it won't do any harm to try it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Eindhoven said:

Likely you'll need a new Windows 10 Pro key. Hardly an imposition at 71 baht. But it won't do any harm to try it.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I will order the product key and probably try the upgrade next week when the kids are back in school.

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Actually it is you who does not understand.

He just described one method. In another method, you do not need a private key at all. But since Microsoft claim that the free upgrades ended in 2016, does that make the upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 illegal?

I will reply to the OP's question separately, so that anyone can find the answer without having to read your 'efforts'.

So, are you saying you do not need a key before nor after the upgrade?