Can I return?

As a Canadian expat employed as a pilot based overseas in the Middle- East, I have lived in Phuket for over the past 20 yrs when not at work. I “own” my house with my name in the Tambian Baan Yellow Book. I have Thai ID Pink Card and a Non-Imm 10 year O-X Retirement Visa issued Oct 2019. Am I permitted to return to the home that I have built for my upcoming retirement....??? No. I do not meet the criteria..... Mai Khao Jai....???

• Sad 3

do you have Thai spouse/child? Then yes you can apply for COE. But sadly even a rare 10 Year visa/permit to stay in Thailand means nothing much here ????

Crew members should be able to qualify if only regular inbound flights were allowed but they still aren't so I guess your chance to get one assigned is slim?

Has anyone successfully tried the medical treatment route?  Seems like scheduling some testing at a private hospital would qualify as "medical treatment", which is one of the categories. 

It's worth a phone call to Bumrungrad, Samitivej, etc...  They have entire departments on staff to smooth things over for medical tourists.  And I'm sure they could use the business with most of their patients locked out of the country.

59 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

I am presently on a OA extension for retirement but not in Thailand. I am not married but have a child who's birth certificate has my name as the father and my last name. Will i be able to apply for the certificate of entry?

If you have an original Thai birth certificate naming you as the father, this should allow you to qualify. However, after entry into Thailand, you will need to arrange legitimisation of your parentage before you can apply for extensions.

Edited by BritTim

46 minutes ago, impulse said:

Has anyone successfully tried the medical treatment route?  Seems like scheduling some testing at a private hospital would qualify as "medical treatment", which is one of the categories. 

It's worth a phone call to Bumrungrad, Samitivej, etc...  They have entire departments on staff to smooth things over for medical tourists.  And I'm sure they could use the business with most of their patients locked out of the country.

It is far from easy. Not totally impossible but verging in it. Many have tries, few have succeeded.

See 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It is far from easy. Not totally impossible but verging in it. Many have tries, few have succeeded.

Good info.  I'm not considering it because I have no current impetus to come to Thailand.  But I did have heart surgery at Bumrungrad, and a long history of follow up at both Bumrungrad and Samitivej, so I figured that may be an option if something happened that pulled me back toward Thailand before things open up.

On a related note, is there anyone with history of getting the Medical COE and staying in a less expensive ASQ for the 14 days, then going to the hospital for treatment?

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, impulse said:

On a related note, is there anyone with history of getting the Medical COE and staying in a less expensive ASQ for the 14 days, then going to the hospital for treatment?

Not allowed. It is explicitly required that you quarantine at the hospital for the 14 days and the hospital has to guarantee this. 

You can get your treatment during the quarantine period, do nto have to wait for 14 days first, so that helps some but it will definitely be at least a 14 day admission with associated costs...if you can manage to get in at all.

• Like 2

Op: 

You mentioned you are holding a Thai Birth Certificate of Your Thai Child which names you as the father. 

You should be able to apply for Certificate of Entry at your local Thai Embassy for Entry to Thailand based on being a ‘non-Thai national who is a spouse, parent or child to a Thai national’ 

You ‘may’ also have to apply for a Single Entry Non-Immigrant Type O visa (based on parent to a Thai national) - that needs to be confirmed by your local Thai Embassy. 

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

you will need to arrange legitimisation of your parentage before you can apply for extensions.

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You ‘may’ also have to apply for a Single Entry Non-Immigrant Type O visa (based on parent to a Thai national) - that needs to be confirmed by your local Thai Embassy. 

Thanks for the answers. If i can get into the country i would like to to get my OA extension changed to one of marriage (obviously this is going to need a trip to the amphur) but will probably be cancelled if i apply for a non O based on parent. This is purely because at some point if based on child it would eventually run out when they are 18/20. Also there is the issue of insurance. I always have insurance but as i am only here 3/4 months at any one time i prefer/need to get my own

Where would i be staying and what are the costs involved if I can get here?

Edited by Dene16
addition

27 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

Thanks for the answers. If i can get into the country i would like to to get my OA extension changed to one of marriage (obviously this is going to need a trip to the amphur) but will probably be cancelled if i apply for a non O based on parent. This is purely because at some point if based on child it would eventually run out when they are 18/20. Also there is the issue of insurance. I always have insurance but as i am only here 3/4 months at any one time i prefer/need to get my own

Where would i be staying and what are the costs involved if I can get here?

Costs

- Visa (£60 - Non Imm O SE)

- Pre-flight Covid-19 test (£200)

- ASQ (30,000 up to 144,000 baht - depending on availability)

- Insurance (33,000 baht - 1 year for a 45 year old with 32,000 baht deductible)

- Flight (£600 up to £2500 - depending on availability and class)

Edited by richard_smith237

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Op: 

You mentioned you are holding a Thai Birth Certificate of Your Thai Child which names you as the father. 

You should be able to apply for Certificate of Entry at your local Thai Embassy for Entry to Thailand based on being a ‘non-Thai national who is a spouse, parent or child to a Thai national’ 

Without a visa, exempt entry not allowed and tourist visas not being issue, I can't see how you can enter without a non O single 90 day  visa from the Thai Consulate in your country of residence based on parenthood of a Thai child. Requirements vary from country to country, Consulate to Consulate of course! With that visa you may get lucky with a repatriation flight. Once in Thailand I believe you could extend it by 60 days and during that extension apply for a 1 year extension meeting the usual requirements of seasoned money in the bank or regular monthly pension income paid in to Thailand.

If I'm wrong I'd be glad to hear what ARE the possibilities currently as I am now out of Thailand and in France with my Thai wife and I don't have a current visa ( nor a current 1 year permission to stay + re entry permit. Tried unsuccessfully due to lack of "satisfactory" financials...but not of sufficient income....  to get that before we left in August). I have no  plans to return any time soon, although our house there languishes empty, but always useful to know!