Why are two million people still getting Netflix DVDs by post?

snoop1130

Why are two million people still getting Netflix DVDs by post?

By AMIT KATWALA

netflix-dvd.jpg

Netflix / WIRED

Eric signed up for Netflix in around 2005 – drawn in by the convenience.

Instead of going to the local branch of Blockbuster to rent a movie, if you waited a couple of days it would arrive in the post, without you having to leave the house.

And there was a huge selection of titles – much wider than a small local rental place would be able to stock.

“I could sit at home and get almost any movie I wanted,” says the US-based project manager.

Full Story: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/netflix-dvds

16 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Because I have a Blue Ray DVD player......

Exactly.....me too.  Plus a high(ish) end sound system (Oppo 105d, Hegel integrated amplifier, PMC loudspeakers coupled with a REL sub).  Just the sound makes it worth it compared to Netflix streaming.

• Like 2

I still buy DVDs and BluRays. I can watch them as many times as I want without the need for an internet connection. I live in an area where internet is not available via cable, which means I have no flat rate and there’s a data volume limit. Watching movies online all the time would eat that up in no time. 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

I still buy DVDs and BluRays. I can watch them as many times as I want without the need for an internet connection. I live in an area where internet is not available via cable, which means I have no flat rate and there’s a data volume limit. Watching movies online all the time would eat that up in no time. 

Amen. And then there are the "extras". I have box sets of all of Twin Peaks including season 3 "The Return". Well worth the money for packaging alone... I imagine more of the profit goes to the creators of all these compared to what Netflix pays....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Amen. And then there are the "extras". I have box sets of all of Twin Peaks including season 3 "The Return". Well worth the money for packaging alone... I imagine more of the profit goes to the creators of all these compared to what Netflix pays....

I wish I could find more “legitimate” DVDs for sale here in Bangkok above and beyond what I can get at B2S bookstore as I too like to see the creators rewarded for their work.  I refuse to download movies from pirated websites or even watch on YouTube for free (as those are probably illegal uploads by individual users and not on the movie studio accounts).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As mentioned above, netflix still offers a larger group of first-run movies via dvd/blue ray disks.  Most of their streaming offerings are cr@p, old cr@p, or in hindi nowadays.

Also, many parts of the US still does not offer high-speed internet, or it is very expensive satellite transmission.

4 hours ago, Airalee said:

I wish I could find more “legitimate” DVDs for sale here in Bangkok above and beyond what I can get at B2S bookstore as I too like to see the creators rewarded for their work.  I refuse to download movies from pirated websites or even watch on YouTube for free (as those are probably illegal uploads by individual users and not on the movie studio accounts).

There were some places in Pattaya that sold the real thing. Don't know if they are still in business, however. I got my Twin Peaks, etc blue rays on trip to US.... Like the axiom "Bad money drives out good", "Pirate DVDs drive out legit DVDs" applies.

There are some legit streamers on youtube. I see Britbox has some "Vera" episodes available (nothing quite as good as Brit crime dramas, eh wot?)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Airalee said:

You can find them in the video rental stores like Tsutaya, if they’re still around. They do sell legitimate movies. Or you can just get a region free DVD player and order them on amazon.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

snip

Also, many parts of the US still does not offer high-speed internet, or it is very expensive satellite transmission.

yes all isp.s are very expensive compared to thailand the bigger the corp is the more of a financial predator they are  ...