Thailand to Europe, back to Thailand, possible in emergency?

OneMoreFarang

Is there any emergency regulation if a foreigner has to leave Thailand for a week and then return?

My parents in Europe are both very sick and could possibly die before the end of the year. I like to see them but I also want to and need to return to Thailand for work.

I have a B-Visa and work permit.

Are there any special regulations for such a case?

I guess I have to quarantine when I return to Thailand and I accept that.

Is it possible to plan a return trip to Europe with a high certainty that the return to Thailand will happen like planned? I.e. trip to Europe, one week over there, flight back to Thailand?

Is there anybody official in Thailand to contact for such a case? I guess it does not make much sense that I contact my embassy because this is not an issue about going to Europe and more an issue about returning to Thailand.

Thanks

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

My parents in Europe are both very sick and could possibly die before the end of the year. I like to see them but

No buts

This is not even a question...Go see them

Edited by meechai
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, meechai said:

No buts

This is not even a question...Go see them

Strongly disagree. This is not an ordinary time and, clearly, this is a real question for those with lives here.

Dying parents would obviously like to see their kids but not if it means disrupting their lives for the next year or so.

Sadly, there isn't all that much you can do when you are there. Contrary to the neat Hollywood scenes, truly sick people are too tired to talk for long, and often spend their final weeks slipping in and out of consciousness. When you can talk, they may well not want to discuss heavy issues, so, you spend a lot of time discussing trivial stuff. People rarely feel that being there did much good, it is more a duty to be fulfilled or, in some cases, done for appearances.

Obviously, if you can do it without marooning yourself in Europe for God only knows how long (there is no guarantee that an effective vaccine will emerge in the next few years) then, wonderful, but do not feel in any way guilty if you have to make a practical decision to stay. That they are going to die is awful, it will rip your heart apart, but being there does not necessarily make that any better for you or them.

Due to Covid, it is unlikely that you will be allowed to hug them. If they are in a public hospital the visiting hours may be curtailed. With terminal patients, exceptions can be made on the amount of time you can spend with them, but the no hugging rule is serious because Covid would rip through those wards. There is also a higher chance that you, yourself, will catch Covid in a hospital.

Frequent short conversations via Skype, with you calling from Thailand, may actually be better. It may sound too alien but, trust me, the whole hospital enviroment is unnatural anyway. Skype conversations would allow them to better control the time of day and the amount of time they spend talking. When, as a patient, visitors turn up at the hospital you feel obliged to talk for longer, even when your energy is dipping, because you are aware that they have gone to a lot of trouble to be there.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

My parents in Europe are both very sick and could possibly die before the end of the year.

Doctors sometimes overestimate the time left in order to avoid upsetting the patient and the family. If you have been given the word that death is on the cards, it may happen more quickly than that. If the end of the year has been mentioned as a "possibly", it might actually mean "probably" and, of course, these situations can also unexpectedly deteriorate.

They also sometimes apply treatments they know will not work in order to give hope and so that, afterwards, the family will feel that the doctors were at least trying.

So, if you decide to go, go now. Even if they do survive well into the new year, the most lucid conversations you have with them will be now.

Good luck to you.

Edited by Poet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Poet said:

Strongly disagree. This is not an ordinary time and, clearly, this is a real question for those with lives here.

Dying parents would obviously like to see their kids but not if it means disrupting their lives for the next year or so.

Sadly, there isn't all that much you can do when you are there. Contrary to the neat Hollywood scenes, truly sick people are too tired to talk for long, and often spend their final weeks slipping in and out of consciousness. When you can talk, they may well not want to discuss heavy issues, so, you spend a lot of time discussing trivial stuff. People rarely feel that being there did much good, it is more a duty to be fulfilled or, in some cases, done for appearances.

Obviously, if you can do it without marooning yourself in Europe for God only knows how long (there is no guarantee that an effective vaccine will emerge in the next few years) then, wonderful, but do not feel in any way guilty if you have to make a practical decision to stay. That they are going to die is awful, it will rip your heart apart, but being there does not necessarily make that any better for you or them.

Due to Covid, it is unlikely that you will be allowed to hug them. If they are in a public hospital the visiting hours may be curtailed. With terminal patients, exceptions can be made on the amount of time you can spend with them, but the no hugging rule is serious because Covid would rip through those wards. There is also a higher chance that you, yourself, will catch Covid in a hospital.

Frequent short conversations via Skype, with you calling from Thailand, may actually be better. It may sound too alien but, trust me, the whole hospital enviroment is unnatural anyway. Skype conversations would allow them to better control the time of day and the amount of time they spend talking. When, as a patient, visitors turn up at the hospital you feel obliged to talk for longer, even when your energy is dipping, because you are aware that they have gone to a lot of trouble to be there.

Doctors sometimes overestimate the time left in order to avoid upsetting the patient and the family. If you have been given the word that death is on the cards, it may happen more quickly than that. If the end of the year has been mentioned as a "possibly", it might actually mean "probably" and, of course, these situations can also unexpectedly deteriorate.

They also sometimes apply treatments they know will not work in order to give the family hope and so that, afterwards, they feel that the doctors were at leasting trying.

So, if you decide to go, go now. Even if they do survive well into the new year, the most lucid conversations you have with them will be now.

Good luck to you.

Thanks for your detailed reply, I appreciate it.

They are both not in hospital, they receive Palliative care at home. There is no hope anymore.

I mentioned the end of the year because I guess in terms of Covid not much will change until then - and maybe a lot longer. It's probably more likely that one or both will die within weeks - at least this is the way I interpret the situation.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is it possible to plan a return trip to Europe with a high certainty that the return to Thailand will happen like planned? I.e. trip to Europe, one week over there, flight back to Thailand?

Sorry for your situation.

One thing that you should be aware of (if you're not already) is the start up this month of a daily Emirates' flight from Dubai to Bangkok.  Emirates have good coverage in Europe, including several provincial airports coming back on line, so booking a return flight with them should be significantly quicker/simpler than relying on an Embassy organised repatriation flight.  It still needs the same paperwork and quarantine, but could reduce any pressure from your workplace by minimising time off.

• Like 1

If you are married to a Thai you should be able to get back depending on the availability of flights back from your country. A Noggie friend of mine who has a wife and daughter here had to jump through a lot of hoops but got back in the end via a KLM flight from Amsterdam IIRC. He had to quarantine at one of the allocated locations but got paroled about 4 weeks ago.

Apparently it helps if you are in a location that you can maintain constant contact with the thai consulate or embassy.

• Like 1

So many replies with no actual answers to the questions asked.... just a normal tvf day...

So to answer your questions: 

Currently there are available normal flights OUT of Thailand, but not INTO Thailand. Having a work permit means you can get a certificate of entry, and if complying with all other requirements you'll be able to get on a repatriation flight. 2 problems with that are 1. They are not normal schedule flights, and depending on location not very frequent. 2. You can only start the process through the Thai embassy in the country from which you will return to Thailand from. So you probably won't have a confirmed return date

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

So many replies with no actual answers to the questions asked.... just a normal tvf day...

Good to see the disinformation is still flowing then. ????

3 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

They are not normal schedule flights, and depending on location not very frequent.

The Emirates route mentioned in my post above is a normal scheduled flight that offloads passengers in Thailand and flies daily.  Connections from all across Europe are available (> 20 potential originating airports at the moment) although not all daily from some of them.

8 minutes ago, treetops said:

Good to see the disinformation is still flowing then. ????

The Emirates route mentioned in my post above is a normal scheduled flight that offloads passengers in Thailand and flies daily.  Connections from all across Europe are available (> 20 potential originating airports at the moment) although not all daily from some of them.

AFAIK no passengers allowed on non repatriation flights. I know this flights are down on flight radar and other flight websites, and I know they are carrying passengers to destinations beyond Thailand, but as currently there is a daily limit on the number of incoming passengers, again, AFAIK only repatriation flights and in some cases private flights

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LukKrueng said:

AFAIK no passengers allowed on non repatriation flights. I know this flights are down on flight radar and other flight websites, and I know they are carrying passengers to destinations beyond Thailand, but as currently there is a daily limit on the number of incoming passengers, again, AFAIK only repatriation flights and in some cases private flights

Perhaps this from the Royal Thai Consulate in Dubai will help:

https://dubai.thaiembassy.org/en/content/emirates-airline-has-been-approved-by-the-caat-to

It is already partially out of date as they have since clarified via Facebook that Thai Nationals can fly too, subject to the same conditions as Non Thai Nationals.  It has been discussed in various threads if you need more details.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stretch5163 said:

Sorry to sound callous but if its not an option for you to follow the rules to get back into Thailand then dont leave Thailand. Otherwise suck it up like everybody else in the same or similar situation.

On some of your comments on other posts you show no sympathy or empathy so why should you be any different now.

Rules are rule after all.

"On some of your comments on other posts you show no sympathy or empathy so why should you be any different now."

Along with half a dozen other regulars.

• Like 1

One idea that might be worth trying. Ring or email the Thai embassy in the country you want to return to. Do not say you are in Thailand at the moment - Just say you have a work permit and need to return to Thailand 'Urgently'.

It may even help you if you can a letter from your employer - that is stating that its  CRITICAL for the Thai business that you return to Thailand as many Thai jobs depend on you returning quickly .....

Then at least you will get a feel for how 'quick' you may be able to return.... As I see it, it will be better for you .. if you are important to the Thai business .. i.e. you need to return quickly ..

Just a thought ...  Good luck ! 

• Thanks 1

Friend of mine from the UK says his 96year old father had to go into the hospital for treatment.  He did n't return  as no visitors are allowed for visiting due to the virus running rampant.  So even if this individual

were to try to get back there, he might not even be allowed to see his parents if they are hospitalized!

1 hour ago, rvaviator said:

One idea that might be worth trying. Ring or email the Thai embassy in the country you want to return to. Do not say you are in Thailand at the moment - Just say you have a work permit and need to return to Thailand 'Urgently'.

It may even help you if you can a letter from your employer - that is stating that its  CRITICAL for the Thai business that you return to Thailand as many Thai jobs depend on you returning quickly .....

Then at least you will get a feel for how 'quick' you may be able to return.... As I see it, it will be better for you .. if you are important to the Thai business .. i.e. you need to return quickly ..

Just a thought ...  Good luck ! 

Thanks, I am mission critical. ???? 

I will be careful of what I tell them. Because people in Embassies don't like lies. As soon as they ask for my passport number they can check me in the system. I can tell them the real story and look how they react. Worst case they tell me something like: forget it, it will take weeks.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I will be careful of what I tell them. Because people in Embassies don't like lies. As soon as they ask for my passport number they can check me in the system. I can tell them the real story and look how they react. Worst case they tell me something like: forget it, it will take weeks.

100% go and see your parents. As you have a work permit you qualify to come back. Book your Emirates flight (yes there are still people who dont believe they are flying people in) and get your COE. You will have to do the hotel quarantine. Good luck

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

So to answer your questions: 

Currently there are available normal flights OUT of Thailand, but not INTO Thailand. Having a work permit means you can get a certificate of entry, and if complying with all other requirements you'll be able to get on a repatriation flight. 2 problems with that are 1. They are not normal schedule flights, and depending on location not very frequent. 2. You can only start the process through the Thai embassy in the country from which you will return to Thailand from. So you probably won't have a confirmed return date

Please please please only post information if you are convinced it is correct. Unfortunately you are totally wrong. Since Sept 1st Emirates are flying into BKK carrying passengers who qualify to come back. Best not post if you are not up to date.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Go see them and then maybe for months don't return back to my home and work in Thailand?

That is no valid option for me. 

You will regret not seeing them when they die.

Your company won't hold your job or you need the income to survive?

The chances of you going for a week and coming back are ZERO.

If you need your work income to survive, best take care of yourself first.

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Go see them and then maybe for months don't return back to my home and work in Thailand?

That is no valid option for me. 

It seems you have answered your own question. But the short answer is NO. There's no emergency way out/in because of sick parents and working in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It will depend on the number or return flights that are available from that country.  In any case .. The thing would be to apply for a return flight / CoE as soon as you arrive - I would be very surprised if they ask you for your passport number on the phone. In my experience with Thai embassies (or any embassy in general)  they do not 'like to' give non scripted advice over the phone ... in fact they do not like to even answer the phone at times .... ????. Consulates tend to be  bit more flexible ...  But as other have said - with a valid VP you are good to apply for a CoE etc ..  It may be worth getting your C19 insurance sorted before you go ... Also with your work letter and work permit .. make sure you also have a copy of the company registration document - Your work letter .. copy of ID card of the Thai person who have signed it .. All this may not be needed ... but better to have it (and not need it) than loosing values time shuffling papers. Depending on the country you are in .. UK ??  (Maybe just the VP is all you need) .. I am sure others can advice who already have returned under a VP CoE ..   If it was me - I would 'budget for' 3 to 4 weeks turnaround ...

4 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

It seems you have answered your own question. But the short answer is NO. There's no emergency way out/in because of sick parents and working in Thailand. 

Thanks for all your answers. It seems this one adds it all up. I could try but it's unclear how fast I could come back.

I don't want to go into detail about my job. But I like it and being away for possibly a month or more is just not an option.

6 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

@OneMoreFarang

very surprised to hear you have European parents - your profile photo is the most American-looking thing on here..

(I have no advice about your topic though)

It seems I have to change that picture if it makes me look American.

The picture is not from me. It's from an artist and he is from central Europe.