Richard Barrow: New special tourist visa, 2000 Baht. Extendable two times.

From his twitter feed: "The cabinet has agreed in theory to a long stay visa called Special Tourist Visa which will cost ฿2,000 for the first 90 days. Can be extended twice more for ฿2,000 each time. Maximum stay 9 months. Foreigners must agree to do 14-day quarantine in a hotel or hospital first.

The new long stay visa, only official once its published in the Royal Gazette, is expected to start in October. The government reckon up to 100 tourists per day will come with a maximum of 1,200 per month. They expect it will earn the country more than 1 Billion Baht per month.

There aren’t many details yet about this new long stay visa called “Special Tourist Visa”. But, I believe it will help people with condos, girlfriends etc to come back for up to 9 months. Please note, it is NOT for people on amnesty. I will update as soon as more news comes in."

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Timwin said:

The government reckon up to 100 tourists per day will come with a maximum of 1,200 per month. They expect it will earn the country more than 1 Billion Baht per month.

1,000,000,000 / 1200 = 833,333 Baht :ohmy:

how much are the ASQ hotels going to be!! 

That visa will have to be applied for at a embassy or official consulate after qualifying for a certificate of entry.

Not sure where he got his info from. I just checked and the summary of the meeting has not been posted yet on the government website.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That visa will have to be applied for at a embassy or official consulate after qualifying for a certificate of entry.

Not sure where he got his info from. I just checked and the summary of the meeting has not been posted yet on the government website.

Hopefully there is still a meeting happening so we can have our hope for visa amnesty extension

• Sad 2

Nobody is going to chalk away £1000-£2000 to be confined to a hotel for 15 day with 3 shoddy small portion meals a day. WiFi is probably 200 baht extra aswell. 555

many more months of suffering for Thailand I’m afraid, they just can’t apply common sense to save their lives.

4 minutes ago, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

Hopefully there is still a meeting happening so we can have our hope for visa amnesty extension

I think we are out of luck today. May be next week, but currently seems highly unlikely....plans, b c and d will need to start being put into motion...with muted hopes for a reprieve.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Jackcwba said:

Nobody is going to chalk away £1000-£2000 to be confined to a hotel for 15 day with 3 shoddy small portion meals a day. WiFi is probably 200 baht extra aswell. 555

many more months of suffering for Thailand I’m afraid, they just can’t apply common sense to save their lives.

Plenty will jump on this, certainly far more than would stomach a 14 day quarantine that only gives them 2 months.

It won't mark a recovery in tourism, but could be enough to keep it on life support after the amnesty ends (which is little comfort for those bleeding money).

6 minutes ago, Jackcwba said:

they are if they haven't seen their families or condos for 6 months

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Plenty will jump on this, certainly far more than would stomach a 14 day quarantine that only gives them 2 months.

It won't mark a recovery in tourism, but could be enough to keep it on life support after the amnesty ends (which is little comfort for those bleeding money).

It won’t be enough since it’s capped at 1200 tourists per month. There’s simply not enough ASQ available.