Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Offices that grant 30 days extention on TV/VOA/Exempt

Will probably make the trip up to Chiang Mai to extend my TR.60.

Has anyone been asked for TM30 there when extending?

If so, guess it'll be necessary to check in to a hotel the night before, as I don't think TM30 is something that can be paid off to an agent to 'handle' for you..

Edited by tabbycat

48 minutes ago, tabbycat said:

If so, guess it'll be necessary to check in to a hotel the night before, as I don't think TM30 is something that can be paid off to an agent to 'handle' for you..

I haven't seen any reports of Chiang Mai needing a TM30 printout. It's better to check into the hotel reasonably early as the legal requirement is for them to report within 24 hours. If you checked in late at night and then went to immigration the following morning they might not have done the report yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I haven't seen any reports of Chiang Mai needing a TM30 printout. It's better to check into the hotel reasonably early as the legal requirement is for them to report within 24 hours. If you checked in late at night and then went to immigration the following morning they might not have done the report yet.

Just read on Facebook of someone who stayed in an airbnb in CM and got turned away because they had no TM30. I still think you'd be fine without one if you stayed in a hotel but maybe better to get the print out to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

I've posted in many threads, but I'll repeat here.

I got an extension on a Tourist Visa at Muang Thong Thani. The required docs were:  passport, photocopy of passport data page, photocopy of TM6 Arrival Card stub, US Embassy Letter, email that contained US Embassy letter in PDF form, one photo.

There are several forms to be filled out at MTT. The IO on the 2nd floor guides you through and tells you to write "Covid-19" as the reason for requesting the extension. You get two queuing numbers and go down to the 1st floor to wait for an available IO. When called, all the docs and forms are collected, and the IO seems to check online for your TM30 that your hotel should have filed with Immigration upon check-in. I did not need to produce any TM30 copy. The only question asked of me was to confirm my hotel name.

With all the docs in place, you pay 1900 baht then go to another area with your remaining queue number to await the return of your passport. Everyone seems to get the "Under Consideration" stamp and is asked to return in one month for the visa, which requires another appointment booking.

Even if you had filed for an extension previously, but would have fallen under the umbrella of visa amnesty (original visa expiry after 26 March), that extension was ignored because it turned out not to be necessary, obviated by the amnesty. You're just out the 1900 baht you paid for it.  Many people who would have qualified under the amnesty, but who didn't know it was coming, had applied for an extension. Theoretically that should have been their 'one use', but with the amnesty covering them, that extension was overlooked. If the original visa would have expired before 26 March, so someone applied for an extension, that one would be considered as the 'one use', and a new one would not be granted now. Those people fell under amnesty ONLY because their extension put them within the required time frame to qualify.

Appointments are required. You don't even get into the building without showing proof---a print out or scan capture on your phone---of the appointment. 400 slots are granted for the 0900 to 1200 session and 400 for the 1300-1630 session. Booking is online or by scanning a QR Code that I've only seen at MTT itself. Booking an appointment was not previously required, but as 26 September approaches and the rush was expected to be great, an appointment was made mandatory in order to control the crowds. I believe appointments were only required for the last two weeks before 26 Sept, so 10 days at 800 per day means MTT set up to handle 8000 requests. I suspect the number who might want an extension to be much higher.

In another thread someone said that as of now all appointments are filled through the 25th. I do not know what those who did not book can do.

Edited by Walker88

58 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

I've posted in many threads, but I'll repeat here.

I got an extension on a Tourist Visa at Muang Thong Thani. The required docs were:  passport, photocopy of passport data page, photocopy of TM6 Arrival Card stub, US Embassy Letter, email that contained US Embassy letter in PDF form, one photo.

There are several forms to be filled out at MTT. The IO on the 2nd floor guides you through and tells you to write "Covid-19" as the reason for requesting the extension. You get two queuing numbers and go down to the 1st floor to wait for an available IO. When called, all the docs and forms are collected, and the IO seems to check online for your TM30 that your hotel should have filed with Immigration upon check-in. I did not need to produce any TM30 copy. The only question asked of me was to confirm my hotel name.

With all the docs in place, you pay 1900 baht then go to another area with your remaining queue number to await the return of your passport. Everyone seems to get the "Under Consideration" stamp and is asked to return in one month for the visa, which requires another appointment booking.

Even if you had filed for an extension previously, but would have fallen under the umbrella of visa amnesty (original visa expiry after 26 March), that extension was ignored because it turned out not to be necessary, obviated by the amnesty. You're just out the 1900 baht you paid for it.  Many people who would have qualified under the amnesty, but who didn't know it was coming, had applied for an extension. Theoretically that should have been their 'one use', but with the amnesty covering them, that extension was overlooked. If the original visa would have expired before 26 March, so someone applied for an extension, that one would be considered as the 'one use', and a new one would not be granted now. Those people fell under amnesty ONLY because their extension put them within the required time frame to qualify.

Appointments are required. You don't even get into the building without showing proof---a print out or scan capture on your phone---of the appointment. 400 slots are granted for the 0900 to 1200 session and 400 for the 1300-1630 session. Booking is online or by scanning a QR Code that I've only seen at MTT itself. Booking an appointment was not previously required, but as 26 September approaches and the rush was expected to be great, an appointment was made mandatory in order to control the crowds. I believe appointments were only required for the last two weeks before 26 Sept, so 10 days at 800 per day means MTT set up to handle 8000 requests. I suspect the number who might want an extension to be much higher.

In another thread someone said that as of now all appointments are filled through the 25th. I do not know what those who did not book can do.

Thanks but we're specifically talking in this thread about getting a regular extension without an embassy letter.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tabbycat said:

Agent-Service includes "no home visit" (where otherwise applicable), "no money seasoning" (agent's 'flash-cash' for a few minutes ok, which eliminates income-based hurdles), no "unobtainium landlord-docs," no TM30 fines, etc. 

The purpose of all those hurdles is only to 'encourage' agent-use.

But if you are going in person - yes, be sure and get a copy of the hotel's TM-30 submission, in case Immigration ask for it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Even if you had filed for an extension previously, but would have fallen under the umbrella of visa amnesty (original visa expiry after 26 March), that extension was ignored because it turned out not to be necessary, obviated by the amnesty. You're just out the 1900 baht you paid for it.  Many people who would have qualified under the amnesty, but who didn't know it was coming, had applied for an extension. Theoretically that should have been their 'one use', but with the amnesty covering them, that extension was overlooked.

This is EXCELLENT news.  Will do another 60-day extension, then, and save my embassy-letter until later. 

And, yes, I don't expect a "refund" of the wasted 1900 Baht for the useless extension (due to the auto-extension - it was not an "amnesty") - funny to even imagine a refund, or 'credit' towards the next extension, from Immigration.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JackThompson said:
13 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Even if you had filed for an extension previously, but would have fallen under the umbrella of visa amnesty (original visa expiry after 26 March), that extension was ignored because it turned out not to be necessary, obviated by the amnesty. You're just out the 1900 baht you paid for it.  Many people who would have qualified under the amnesty, but who didn't know it was coming, had applied for an extension. Theoretically that should have been their 'one use', but with the amnesty covering them, that extension was overlooked.

31 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

This is EXCELLENT news.  Will do another 60-day extension, then, and save my embassy-letter until later.

And, yes, I don't expect a "refund" of the wasted 1900 Baht for the useless extension (due to the auto-extension - it was not an "amnesty") - funny to even imagine a refund, or 'credit' towards the next extension, from Immigration.

I am not sure that @Walker88 post, implies that any 'wasted' short-term extension application you applied for during the Amnesty (and which was not necessary, as you were already covered by the Amnesty), would be considered as non-existing.  And that it would allow you to re-apply for that 30-day or 60-day short-term extension.

It would indeed be EXCELLENT news if that is indeed the case, but would of course need a report from the IO where that was provided.

Note: The MTT report by Walker88 is not proof of the above, as it refers to a 'special' Embassy Letter supported application applied for at MTT.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tabbycat said:

Any others tried to obtain extensions (without embassy letter) at Chiang Mai Promenada, Ubon or any other of the 'friendly' I/Os recently? Only a few reports of success so far, some mixed with others saying they went to these I/Os ^ but were still asked for a letter, so not a great sample size to work with right now. Please do share your experience!

Would be very helpful for those of us considering on making the trip to any of those cities this coming week + choosing the right I/O to go to with the best chance of success ????

Yup.. 100% not enough data. I post what I know of (Samui) but don't make a claim because there is simply not enough data to make ANY claim. One fella got it with no issue (as should be) and another who has since left was told to come back closer to the time. He could have done it but it would be propitious to wait awhile. Interesting data but no way can anything close to a definitive conclusion be derived from it.

Personal note.... take care everyone.

16 minutes ago, notmyself said:

Yup.. 100% not enough data. I post what I know of (Samui) but don't make a claim because there is simply not enough data to make ANY claim. One fella got it with no issue (as should be) and another who has since left was told to come back closer to the time. He could have done it but it would be propitious to wait awhile. Interesting data but no way can anything close to a definitive conclusion be derived from it.

Personal note.... take care everyone.

So that's one report from Samui and Ubon (both some time ago so who knows if things have changed). On a FB group reporting from CM just 1-2 days ago - a Spain passport holder got theirs without embassy letter, whilst a US passport holder got rejected (told to come back with letter, TM30 required too). Really doesn't help as both countries are Visa-Exempt, guessing it'll just come down to a roll of the dice and the mood of the officer you get on the day.

Might have a better shot convincing them if you're on an actual TR.60 stamp (purchased from a Thai consulate abroad) rather than on VE/VOA and haven't yet claimed your extra 30 days, or might be the same. Who knows.

Edited by tabbycat
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, tabbycat said:

So that's one report from Samui and Ubon (both some time ago so who knows if things have changed). On a FB group reporting from CM just 1-2 days ago - a Spain passport holder got theirs without embassy letter, whilst a US passport holder got rejected (told to come back with letter, TM30 required too). Really doesn't help as both countries are Visa-Exempt, guessing it'll just come down to a roll of the dice and the mood of the officer you get on the day.

Might have a better shot convincing them if you're on an actual TR.60 stamp (purchased from a Thai consulate abroad) rather than on VE/VOA and haven't yet claimed your extra 30 days, or might be the same. Who knows.

Aye. Flip a coin AKA toss the boss. Amazing Thailand huh! It should also be noted that the (a) 30 day extension is not not an entitlement but a request that is generally given. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, notmyself said:

It should also be noted that the (a) 30 day extension is not not an entitlement but a request that is generally given.

Are you referring to the one-per-entry 'regular' 30-day extension of stay for those on a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entry OR the Embassy letter supported 'special' extension of stay application?

3 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Are you referring to the one-per-entry 'regular' 30-day extension of stay for those on a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entry OR the Embassy letter supported 'special' extension of stay application?

Anything and everything. If one should need 'x' then they are here as a guest.

4 hours ago, tabbycat said:

I haven't seen the one about the person getting rejected recently in CM. Can you share more details about that? It's better to be specific rather than just say I heard something on Facebook. The trouble is, people often leave out key information. Maybe this guy wasn't entitled to a 30-day extension or maybe this happened a few weeks ago before the apparent change in policy.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

I haven't seen the one about the person getting rejected recently in CM. Can you share more details about that? It's better to be specific rather than just say I heard something on Facebook. The trouble is, people often leave out key information. Maybe this guy wasn't entitled to a 30-day extension or maybe this happened a few weeks ago before the apparent change in policy.

I believe it may be a case where an Indian national was asking for a regular 30-day extension of his tourist visa entry without embassy letter. Some nationalities (and India is the most notable example) are not entitled to the 30-day extension of a tourist entry available to nationals of wealthy countries.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I believe it may be a case where an Indian national was asking for a regular 30-day extension of his tourist visa entry without embassy letter. Some nationalities (and India is the most notable example) are not entitled to the 30-day extension of a tourist entry available to nationals of wealthy countries.

Thanks. That's the thing about 'I read something on Facebook' reports. They cause more confusion than anything. If you read the thread on this forum that I linked to on the first page it seems fairly clear that if you're entitled to a regular 30 day extension you'll get it in CM. Of course nothing is certain but it's a good bet.

5 hours ago, tabbycat said:

Tourist - the post is specifically about people extending their tourist visas in CM.

There's not really enough information there to be sure what the reason was for the refusal. It could be related to their date of entry or a number of other factors but it's a cause for concern. If you get a refusal in CM then you can get a minbus to Pai and do it there. I definitely wouldn't leave it till the last day. 

Another factor that springs to mind is that they could have been refused due to their own cluelessness. You have to write down the reason for your extension and you definitely don't want to write down something like I can't get home because of Covid-19. Just write 'tourism'.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, tabbycat said:

Could just be that American can have Embassy letter, European can not...

57 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

Still no mention from immigration via the medias about this normal extension... 

Actually there is an article in the Bangkok post but it's just immigration telling people on a tourist visa to "renew" their visa or go home otherwise they'll face fines, jail or deportation. I don't think you can expect any help from top immigration officials on this issue.

Edited by edwardandtubs

On 9/20/2020 at 11:42 AM, tabbycat said:

Any others tried to obtain extensions (without embassy letter) at Chiang Mai Promenada, Ubon or any other of the 'friendly' I/Os recently? Only a few reports of success so far, some mixed with others saying they went to these I/Os ^ but were still asked for a letter, so not a great sample size to work with right now. Please do share your experience!

Would be very helpful for those of us considering on making the trip to any of those cities this coming week + choosing the right I/O to go to with the best chance of success ????

Same thought.

It's only ONE or TWO report of this normal extension in Chiang Mai ?.........

Same i do not feel too much to make the trip without more reports.

In total absence of OFFICIAL note about this too......

9 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

Same thought.

It's only ONE or TWO report of this normal extension in Chiang Mai ?.........

Same i do not feel too much to make the trip without more reports.

If you cannot get hold of an Embassy letter, but did not yet use up your 'regular' 30-day extension of stay your Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entry entitled you to, you have little choice but to make use of the opportunity and visit one of the IOs where reports confirm they are issuing such regular 30-day extensions of stay.  As you might need a Tm-30 of having stayed one night in the province before doing the application, checking in on Thursday would be advised to be able to do it on last day before Amnesty expires.

9 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

I agree; and I'm in the same boat. That said, to what "OFFICIAL" note do you refer? The rogue offices are the norm rn in terms of ignoring our ability to extend a tourist visa 30 days. The friendly offices are following the normal policy. 

Like you ( I imagine), I was hoping other members did what I contemplated, and flew to Udon or CNX over the weekend and posted some more DPs. In the absence, I'm likely flipping a coin tmr and heading to one of the 2. I'd prefer to get a "real" extension to avoid the "under consideration" nonsense to keep my options open to other types of visas...

9 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

If you cannot get hold of an Embassy letter, but did not yet use up your 'regular' 30-day extension of stay your Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entry entitled you to, you have little choice but to make use of the opportunity and visit one of the IOs where reports confirm they are issuing such regular 30-day extensions of stay.  As you might need a Tm-30 of having stayed one night in the province before doing the application, checking in on Thursday would be advised to be able to do it on last day before Amnesty expires.

We're in agreement, Peter. Our issue is the dearth of reports. 1 or 2 fall into the anecdotal category. A lot of hassle and additional expense to fly off and find disappointment.

Perhaps the facebook groups some talk about have more DPs. The added problem is that one TV poster posted screenshots from a FB group with an American being denied a regular 30 day extension in Chiang Mai. He hadn't used it and the IO insisted that he get an embassy letter. AFAIK, there is still only 1 report of the regular 30 day extension in Ubon too. 

Perhaps I missed a thread with more actual success stories, but I haven't seen them.

edit: missed part of your point...

I'm fortunate that I  have the embassy letter option, vs the scenario you laid out. I'm trying to avoid the under consideration Non-O blocking cloud, vs the guys who have little choice and no embassy letter.

Edited by WuhanVagabond

6 minutes ago, WuhanVagabond said:

I'd prefer to get a "real" extension to avoid the "under consideration" nonsense to keep my options open to other types of visas...

You should be fine - I've received confirmation from multiple visa agents that I'd be able to switch onto one of the 'medical' or 'volunteer' options they have for 60/90 days even after getting the embassy extension with the under consideration stamp, as long as there are a few days still remaining on my stay.

That's the only reason why I'm not traveling up to CM to try my luck at a non-letter extension, as the 4 months I plan to get (30 days with embassy + 90 day 'medical') until January should be long enough to get by.

• Like 2