Rice crop Isaan this year? Enough rain or too late

Kenny202

Looked to me like we had a bit more rain this year but seemed to come late. Last couple of years saw many rice paddies look like they were barren. One I saw I was told they were growing turf instead (Khon Kaen province) I was talking to someone the other day and they said the rain came too late for the rice farmers this year. I'm not a farmer but just wondering what is the timeline for the rice? Seeding, replanting and cutting. Does it look like a good crop this year? Only interested

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

In my area in Sisaket farmers estimate that they will lose 50% of their rice crop this year, due to insuficiant rain...the actual massive rain being too late.

A repeat of last year...

Also in the central regions of Thailand they planted the seeds later than usual due to late start of the rainy season. Now they will harvest the same time as isaan farmers pushing the prices down.

Here in lower Isaan - Krasang, we plant as early as June, 1st fertilizer in September, 2nd fertilizer in October and Harvest in December.

I saw some guys going out with 1st fertilizer this morning. The typhoon did flood some paddies but it is marginal. It is late in the season to expect enough rain to sustain a flooded paddy.

Me and the wife have 25 Rai this year, our rice insurance will not be enough to cover any fertilizer and harvesting/transport. We will wait another until start of October if the paddies are not flooded, we will claim insurance.

Most people in my village are in the same boat. It is not looking good this year.

18 hours ago, douglasspade said:

Here in lower Isaan - Krasang, we plant as early as June, 1st fertilizer in September, 2nd fertilizer in October and Harvest in December.

I saw some guys going out with 1st fertilizer this morning. The typhoon did flood some paddies but it is marginal. It is late in the season to expect enough rain to sustain a flooded paddy

Much the same schedule here in Sisaket. My first fertiliser stills sits in its bags. Last year I reduced the amount of fertiliser due to moisture stress. This year didn't bother, the weeds win on our main block. Other sections belonging to the family are about to get a second fertiliser. We will see what the total yield is, hopefully enough to feed us all. 

Around here the only reasonable crops have been established using bore water but still are nowhere up to normal. Next year I think will depend on how much water I can pump into the ponds before we start. If not rice then look at something else, perhaps fodder.

Sorry to hear guys. Nothing seems easy in Thailand. My missus has a little business and it seems like banging your head against the wall most of the time. I feel sorry for poor Thais who are behind the eight ball. Would be impossible to get out from under and things will only be getting worse

8 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

If not rice then look at something else, perhaps fodder.

But the problem is what is the something else ,you in Issan are having a bad year with rice ,here in the central plains it is the Fall Army Worm in the maize crops ,and lack of rain ,sugar cane is looking bleak again, the few rice crops we have do not look good ,some farmers  have not planted any  rice this year ,no rain.

A lot of cassava about ,last year being a bad cane year ,cassava has increased  most look good.

But with cassava it is the Cambodians that harvest most of it ,with C19 and  boarder restrictions will they be the labour to harvest all the cassava ,a lot of Cambodians do live in Thailand, they set up their  tent camps ,with they own Rot-Itans and harvest the cassava ,but there will not be enough of them to harvest all the crops ( not thinking about cane cutters ),and what will the selling prices be .

The above is the 4 main crops in Thailand all with some sort of problem .

I have written this before ,the guy with his Millet is due to harvest it tomorrow ,with all the rain not certain if he will, could be a future crop until every one grows it and the bottom falls out .                                           Grow a fodder crop, we could with all our cows ,a fair bit of maize is being made in to silage ,a poor crop some farmers think they will get a better price selling  it silage than as a corn crop , corn now being 6.50 baht/kg  for 30% moisture.

Wife talking to a locale farmer today , he has 100 rie of maize ,will  yield about the same as 20-25 rie ,he said he is 1.5 million baht in debt to the bank, grows a lot of cane as well.                                                                                                                                                                      

• Like 1

Just an update from my side... we have had some rain every day since the typhoon's departure, even as I am writing there is rain over the horizon. Weather are cool and humidity low.

We have about 10 Rai covered with about 200mm of water and I will take the risk to blast 1st fertilizer starting tomorrow. The rest of our paddies are wet and boggy but not flooded. We have not decided on a course of action and like to see what the weather does in the next week. There are also 2 pumps in the river pushing water via the channel up steam flooding from high to low so there is some hope.

The "Chi" river border between Surin and Buriram empty 15th Sept. and flowing strong on 19 Sept.

20200912_174657.jpg.48e45b0c81c8193b27960b018df15e27.jpg20200919_170244.jpg.31ee8cab3bd0903750fedfb2da074b27.jpg

Our first fertiliser was spread today. No I didn't change my mind but decided the less than 3,000 baht of 18-4-5 was already spent and the ear bashing I was starting to get was not worth bearing. I am sure most will have heard similar "logical" arguments. It has rained, the rice is growing, we already have the fertiliser so if you want to eat next year spread the ferts. No mention of the weeds or their seeds and yields levels. No mention of getting someone to harvest this mess or that cost. Appeals to my "good heart" as the guy that spread it alone and by hand really needed the money. Haven't given up but am starting to appreciate retirement. LOL, I love this place!

The old farang saying, if you want to make a small fortune farming in Isaan, start with a large one. Well I figure the reality or Thai equivalent is, if you never want to loose an agrument, do not participate either verbally or financially.

Edited by IsaanAussie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IsaanAussie said:

Our first fertiliser was spread today. No I didn't change my mind but decided the less than 3,000 baht of 18-4-5 was already spent and the ear bashing I was starting to get was not worth bearing. I am sure most will have heard similar "logical" arguments. It has rained, the rice is growing, we already have the fertiliser so if you want to eat next year spread the ferts. No mention of the weeds or their seeds and yields levels. No mention of getting someone to harvest this mess or that cost. Appeals to my "good heart" as the guy that spread it alone and by hand really needed the money. Haven't given up but am starting to appreciate retirement. LOL, I love this place!

The old farang saying, if you want to make a small fortune farming in Isaan, start with a large one. Well I figure the reality or Thai equivalent is, if you never want to loose an agrument, do not participate either verbally or financially.

I stay out of the rice,just give the land.

Although i do have my grumbles when the FIL is letting water out of a field which it can handle to only to let it out onto the road.

Does more expense to my ute and motorbikes than the rice will be ever worth.

Been trying to retire him off for years????