What happens next with UK plan to breach Brexit divorce treaty?

snoop1130

18 hours ago, RayC said:

Not the case https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/14/brexit-boris-johnson-eu-uk-internal-market-bill

And playing devil's advocate, even if it were the case, the possibility could have been foreseen in January.

Back to the same old questions: Either Johnson didn't know what he was signing and/or he had no intention of keeping to the WA.

At least it's a consistent argument. By the same token, no doubt, you are of the opinion that the breakdown in the trade talks is therefore due to the UK government not acting in 'good faith'? I thought that this was the charge that Brexiters were levelling at the EU?

Yes, definitely the case, the EU thought they had pulled one over us. Apparently not though, Boris was ready with the upper hand in the IMB. Back to the same old answer, I don't know or care what Boris knew at the time. He used the WA to meet his promise to 'Get Brexit Done' and his IMB continues to ensure that. Why ask the same old question again which 49 kept asking and getting the same answer. Maybe you didn't see because you have him on ignore, I know many people do.

No, I'm of the opinion that the breakdown, if or when it officially comes, will be due to the EU trying to cheat their way to a bad deal for the UK, which Boris has overthrown. Whether the UK govt acts in Good Faith, Bad Faith or Percy Faith with the EU, I don't care so long as we are safely extricated from the EU.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, david555 said:

Hence the "catfight" in his party about "yes / no " for E.U. membership ....as was up to latest still  same problem ...leavers & remainers ....with referendum as a hope for a solution ....

It didn't .... status quo problem ..

So brexit was born .

the conservative mps who insisted on a referendum were merely reminding cameron to keep his pre election promise to hold a referendum,something cameron was hoping to duck out of,and with a little help from nigel and his red bus democracy prevailed,power to the people whilst the rest of the eu wallow in self pity.

Edited by kingdong

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

It does not matter to me but you brought it up. I am the same. But never consider myself European. I have lived in 3 European countries that are in the EU. I am British not European.

It's up to the individual how they identify. Maybe an area of agreement between us?

It suggest you were about to throw the R card.

You might not be a racist yourself, but imo it would be naive to think that there were not racists - or more accurately, xenophobes - who voted for Brexit. How many is the real question?

The Russians are European, as many others. They are not in the EU but does that make them any less European. I think people should remember the EU is not all of Europe. It is an entity not a country.

Agreed. 

We appear to agree on 2 out of 3 points. Probably as good as it will get.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Loiner said:

Yes, definitely the case, the EU thought they had pulled one over us. Apparently not though, Boris was ready with the upper hand in the IMB. Back to the same old answer, I don't know or care what Boris knew at the time. He used the WA to meet his promise to 'Get Brexit Done' and his IMB continues to ensure that. Why ask the same old question again which 49 kept asking and getting the same answer. Maybe you didn't see because you have him on ignore, I know many people do.

No, I'm of the opinion that the breakdown, if or when it officially comes, will be due to the EU trying to cheat their way to a bad deal for the UK, which Boris has overthrown. Whether the UK govt acts in Good Faith, Bad Faith or Percy Faith with the EU, I don't care so long as we are safely extricated from the EU.

And you don't see any inconsistencies in that argument?

Got an example of "the EU trying to cheat their way to bad deal for the UK"? Please don't offer the 'blockage'. That's already been discredited.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RayC said:

And you don't see any inconsistencies in that argument?

Got an example of "the EU trying to cheat their way to bad deal for the UK"? Please don't offer the 'blockage'. That's already been discredited.

The threatened blockage is exactly the way EU is trying to force the UK into a bad deal. It cannot be discredited by anything you read in The Grauniad.

2 hours ago, bannork said:

UK government incompetence damaging UK expats in Europe.

Buffalo Brexit charges forward.

IMG_20200921_184922.jpg

Normal consequences of a no deal in wait ….. , same shall become for the Europeans living in U.K. ….. loosing their E.U. bank accounts 

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/sep/21/britons-eu-uk-bank-accounts-closed-lloyds-barclays-brexit

Thousands of Britons living in EU told their UK bank accounts will be closed
Lloyds and Barclays among banks taking action due to lack of post-Brexit trade deal

Thousands of Britons living in the EU will have their UK bank accounts closed by the end of the year because of the UK’s failure to agree a post-Brexit trade deal.

Lloyds, Barclays and Coutts have informed retail and business customers that they will lose their accounts before or when the Brexit transition period ends on 31 December and more banks are expected to follow suit.

Lloyds Banking Group, which includes Halifax and Bank of Scotland, has contacted its 13,000 customers in the Netherlands, Slovakia, Germany, Ireland and Portugal, warning them they must make alternative arrangements as the bank is no longer allowed to offer services.

(PS : my U.K. based money transfer organism , already changed months ago  to Ireland as new base for not missing E.U. opportunities )

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, david555 said:

Normal consequences of a no deal in wait ….. , same shall become for the Europeans living in U.K. ….. loosing their E.U. bank accounts 

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/sep/21/britons-eu-uk-bank-accounts-closed-lloyds-barclays-brexit

Lloyds and Barclays among banks taking action due to lack of post-Brexit trade deal

Thousands of Britons living in the EU will have their UK bank accounts closed by the end of the year because of the UK’s failure to agree a post-Brexit trade deal.

Lloyds, Barclays and Coutts have informed retail and business customers that they will lose their accounts before or when the Brexit transition period ends on 31 December and more banks are expected to follow suit.

Lloyds Banking Group, which includes Halifax and Bank of Scotland, has contacted its 13,000 customers in the Netherlands, Slovakia, Germany, Ireland and Portugal, warning them they must make alternative arrangements as the bank is no longer allowed to offer services.

(PS : my U.K. based money transfer organism , already changed months ago  to Ireland as new base for not missing E.U. opportunities )

This must be disappointing news for all those Brexit voting expats retired in Spain and Portugal.

That and the need to obtain health insurance.

Still they knew what they were voting for.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RayC said:

Of course not. It must be true. The Daily Express, well known for headlines based on statistical valid surveys, says so.

Oh you Remainers and your surveys again. Why not try a poll, you know how accurate those are don’t you?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

This must be disappointing news for all those Brexit voting expats retired in Spain and Portugal.

But they can get a European bank account anyway in ….Euros basically 

9 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Not half as much as for the Remainers who thought their cosy status quo in the EU would go on forever. 

Should be no great shakes for any of them to have sorted both local and their continued UK banking if they still need it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Not sure what you’re referring to, but if a contract party feels its agreement has been broken by the French it can take legal action against the French, same as the EU can do against the UK. 

how about the french failing to use the law to stop illegal migrants  entering britain instead of aidding and abetting them,and people wondered why the uk voted to leave.

• Like 1

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RayC said:

What EU threat to walk against away from talks? When was the threat made? To whom? No quotes, no sources.

To call it shoddy journalism would be generous. 'Shoddy' is too mild a word to describe this drivel, and it hardly qualifies as journalism.

Ha ha, off you run along then, back to your Grauniad if you prefer a bit of Boris bashing. 

• Like 1