Special Tourist Visa: Good news for Scandinavians and Aussies/New Zealanders

webfact

7 hours ago, Logosone said:

So Sweden among the most successful countries in containing Covid19, now considered for special visas.

No masks, no lockdown. 

How did the Swedes do it? Oh that's right, no masks, no lockdown.

13th in the world for deaths per million population. 580. Many, many times that of similar sized, but considerably poorer countries
26th in the world for total deaths 5,865

Awesome role model. 

Screenshot 2020-09-21 at 6.14.50 PM.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, paulikens said:

@Alex80 300 a day were are you getting your information from? the man down the pub! day after day they're getting no new infections, cuz they done it the right way and went for herd immunity and have shown the rest of the world up

60,042 swedes have currently got the corona virus,link......google it up.

What about them people from them countries with right wing populist leaders who have been telling their people that coronavirus is like a little flu and masks don't work and nobody could have done any better....

Like US, UK, Brazil, India, Mexico, Italy.......   when will people from them right wing populist countries be let in.....

Can they be next please... because corona is a conspiracy..... and the deep state opposition want to use it to control the people and kick out the right wing populists....  and nobody could have done any better than them

image.png.13934973df4e39a6a1f79ba738d4e5ff.png

Edited by Ketyo

25 minutes ago, Yme said:

13th in the world for deaths per million population. 580. Many, many times that of similar sized, but considerably poorer countries
26th in the world for total deaths 5,865

Those deaths represent 0.05% of Sweden's population.

However, that rather misses the point. The point is that at this present time only 1.2 per cent of Sweden's 120,000 tests came back positive, data from their national health agency shows, according to The Guardian. 

Their 14-day accumulative total of new cases is 22.2 for every 100,000 inhabitants, compared to 279 in Spain, 158.5 in France, 118 in the Czech Republic, 77 in Belgium and 59 in the UK.

It is even outperforming its Scandinavian neighbours, Norway and Denmark, suggesting their approach may have helped them in the long term.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8736063/Sweden-records-lowest-number-covid-cases-March-108-did-not-impose-lockdown.html

Hence the UK adding Sweden to its list of safe countries. So yes, great role model. No masks, no lockdown, but low case numbers and in other countries' safe lists.

Well done Sweden.

Sweden cases.jpg

Sweden cases.jpg

Sweden vs EUR.jpg

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 2

And here I thought that Swedes were dying by the thousands and the country in the grips of a massive Covid contagion because they didn't force lockdowns and mask wearing.

What happened?  (Well, what happened to that narrative?)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, connda said:

And here I thought that Swedes were dying by the thousands ...

What happened? 

They did, and they're still dead. However, at the moment, Sweden have few new cases, which is why Sweden is mentioned amongst the potential countries.

4 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Yep, have to admit they certainly have their sights aimed at only high spenders, for the first month anyway.

1,200 tourists producing 1.2 billion baht revenue? Can only wait to see how this works.

It is one million baht each. Not totally unlikely. The rich tourists could spend money like that. When I first arrived Thailand, I spent 5 million baht in less than two years. They are targeting the rich tourists, please note. And long term tourism (maybe 6 months' stay on average). It is really hard to know if they will be able to lure these big spenders into the country, it could be a different type that wanted to get in, but in theory it is not impossible. The night life is pretty much down, though, so that doesn't help the spending. 

1 hour ago, paulikens said:

@Alex80 300 a day were are you getting your information from? the man down the pub! day after day they're getting no new infections, cuz they done it the right way and went for herd immunity and have shown the rest of the world up

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

John Hopkins Coronavirus Research Center is good enough darling?

22 minutes ago, connda said:

And here I thought that Swedes were dying by the thousands and the country in the grips of a massive Covid contagion because they didn't force lockdowns and mask wearing.

What happened?  (Well, what happened to that narrative?)

That's now been changed to:

"There are so few new cases, let's add Sweden to the list of safe countries" (UK)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors

"There are so few new cases, let's give Swedes a special visa" (Thailand).

So looks like the lack of mandatory mask wearing and lockdown was not such a huge problem for Sweden.

• Like 1

Sweden  60,042   currently Infected Patients.  Daily new cases  224

Norway   2.259   currently Infected Patients.  Daily new cases   39

Denmark  4.753  currently Infected Patients. Daily new cases  469

Finland    1.007   currently Infected Patients.  Daily new cases  58

1 hour ago, KKr said:

1200 tourists a month for a let's say 9 months stay will make 10.800 tourists in the country, (out of previously some 36 million/52 weeks say 700.000)

1.200.000.000 THB / 10.800 = 111.111,-- THB per person per month. ( or, for a couple about 2.000.000 THB for nine months). but just 3.700 THB / 120 $ per night stay per guest.

During the Old Normal: 60.000.000.000 usd per Annum / 36.000.000 tourists = 1.600 $ per guest during average about three (2.8) night stay or some 550 $ for each night per guest.

Big spenders ?

I stand somewhat corrected:
Revenue reached THB 2.5 trillion (USD 71 billion) in 2016,
with THB 1.6 trillion coming from international markets and
THB 870 billion from the domestic market

Let's re-do the math:  

During the Old Normal:
1.6 billions of THB or 51.000.000.000 USD per Annum / 36.000.000 tourists = 1.433 $ per guest during average about three (2.8) night stay or some 500 $ for each night per guest.
Local Tourism 870,000,000,000 / 31 = 28 billion$

Special Visa : 120 $ expected per person per night.

Conclusion remains the same and Question remains the same: 
Who / Where are the big spenders ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madmen said:

Really? Better in what way exactly. 

In both Oz and NZ there is some fantastic scenery, great beaches and good climate and I believe there are many Australians and New Zealanders who have not seen as much of their own country as they could.

Using the summertime to do a bit more travelling in areas into which they haven't previously been could be good for family holidays, or even for a group of friends who wanted to see a bit more of the country, and indeed take in some winetasting if they are that way inclined....... much to do if they wanted to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, androokery said:

Sweden is under an international travel ban for destinations outside EU until mid November. I think it’s something similar for the other Scandinavian countries. No word yet as to whether the ban will be lifted in November. 

I dont know about Sweden now, but Norway does not have a travel ban. Only an advisory. Travel wherever you want, but you get a 14 days quarantine when you back. And travel insurances is void for corona related incidents, so you need to buy a separate insurance for that. 

Edited by TommyL727

6 minutes ago, TommyL727 said:

I dont know about Sweden now, but Norway does not have a travel ban. Only an advisory. Travel wherever you want, but you get a 14 days quarantine when you back. And travel insurances is void for corona related incidents, so you need to buy a separate insurance for that. 

That is the same for Denmark. Except, there is no quarantine when returning to Denmark from Thailand.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OumarhindaOunsingha said:

<deleted> the restrictions!

I don't know what you want to do with the new restrictions. I am glad to have them so we can prevent selfish people from infecting vulnerable people. And so we can get the numbers down so Denmark can be one of the countries on the Thai allow list.

8 minutes ago, farang51 said:

I don't know what you want to do with the new restrictions. I am glad to have them so we can prevent selfish people from infecting vulnerable people. And so we can get the numbers down so Denmark can be one of the countries on the Thai allow list.

Denmark ? ,, 

Not on my bucket list .. 

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1