Special Tourist Visa: Good news for Scandinavians and Aussies/New Zealanders

webfact

1. The only people interested in coming are the retirees whose homes and lives are in Thailand and who are now forced to live with relatives or in rented digs wherever they got caught out by Thailand closing the borders. Most of them I guess would be in UK and Germany....not on the list.

2. It shouldn't matter which country you travel from. The number of daily cases has nothing to do with it. If you leave the place virus free (tested), are virus free in quarantine (tested twice!), why should it matter if you fly directly from Sweden or Hungary or have two plane changes along the way. 

3. Australians and New Zealanders won't come for sure (except the retirees). The summer is around the corner and anyway the totalitarian governments there won't let people leave!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Fact: Sweden had an extended summer vacation period. Infections dropped. The same thing  as in France.  As schools re-open, and workers return to the workplace,  Sweden will soon see a surge in its infections. This is what is happening now in Canada, and much of Europe.

no, sweden never shut down schools or anything else for that matter, they have reached herd immunity at this stage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ketyo said:

What about them people from them countries with right wing populist leaders who have been telling their people that coronavirus is like a little flu and masks don't work and nobody could have done any better....

Like US, UK, Brazil, India, Mexico, Italy.......   when will people from them right wing populist countries be let in.....

Can they be next please... because corona is a conspiracy..... and the deep state opposition want to use it to control the people and kick out the right wing populists....  and nobody could have done any better than them

can we keep things somewhat in perspective and
not just throw opinions without background ??

let's start with determining who have been doing bad and well at containing this disease.
That p.e. India and USA have same number of cases means that USA have TEN times more cases/capita than India so comparing those in one line is not very relevant.
it only highlights who is doing better at what ? 
B.S. before elections VS. Get on with it and lockdown towns and neighbourhoods as needed.
thereafter, if there is a generalisation possible, one can use the numbers in that argument.
you may more stats at Bloomberg's 
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2020-coronavirus-cases-world-map/?srnd=premium-asia

covid:million.jpeg

covid:million2.png

Edited by KKr

9 minutes ago, scammed said:

no, sweden never shut down schools or anything else for that matter, they have reached herd immunity at this stage.

Then, pray tell, why do they have new cases every day in Sweden?

No country has reached herd immunity; it is but a wet dream for some people.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Logosone said:

So Sweden among the most successful countries in containing Covid19, now considered for special visas.

No masks, no lockdown. 

How did the Swedes do it? Oh that's right, no masks, no lockdown.

In the process the Swedish Government killed off 5868 vulnerable souls and issued instructions to medical staff not to sustain the lives of the elderly. The Swedes are proud of their effort and think we should all be like them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

9 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Lets not forget that Sweden is a large country with a very small population so the density of people is very sparse overall.  Much like some of the more remote low populated but large US states too where COvid has not spread much either compared to the heavily populated states.  A low population density is surely logically and rationally a great help in preventing the virus spreading too much.  Without that of course lock down is needed as has been shown clearly now.  Thailand has done very well indeed and overall I back what they have done and are doing though a few measures were way over the top (like banning alcohol sales and curfew at night etc) but better too much than too little IMHO.  Mind you I think in light of the success here I think all internal lockdown measures should now be considered for removing entirelyy apart from border control. I am so happy that I live here in Thailand certainly in respect of the sensible COVID control here.

The main thing is, although causing much suffering and inconvenience, the borders being controlled well as they are and have been here is paramount and shown to be the big factor in keeping COVID out. Just look at the mess in the UK and US where they have so irresponsibly not controlled their borders hardly at all, this is surely proof enough if logic itself does not tell you that.  Sure I think it is very urgent to let back in those on long stay visas stranded abroad wanting of course to return to their wives and partners and children ASAP, sure with 14 days quarantine and testing of course. What is needed is more quarantine facilities available here and various standards of quarantine accomodation too at non rip off pricing. Also a less expensive mandatory health insurance for COVID cover, maybe underwritten and provided directly by Government at cost to thus eliminate the corrupt deplorable rip offs that some private insurance companies are known to be benefitting from. 

I look forward to the day when a real properly developed vaccine is available that has been developed with a duty of care as the main agenda not for more big fat cat greedy profits by the western corrupt big pharma.  Personally I look forward to the new Russian vaccine which has been produced directly I understand by their Government agencies there, and not produced for greedy profits but for pride and the duty of care for the people.  So I hope we can all get the Sputnik 5 vaccine soon once it has cleared all the tests as it almost already has with great success. I wont personally trust or touch any vaccines that come out of the US/UK western big pharma. So I look forward to a Russian or Chinese produced genuine vaccine and hope these will be available here soon.  Its rumoured that Sputnik 5 vaccine will be available by the end of the year with any luck.  ????

10 hours ago, Logosone said:

So Sweden among the most successful countries in containing Covid19, now considered for special visas.

No masks, no lockdown. 

8000 deaths is their success story. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scammed said:

the weak are gone, the rest of the herd dont give a toss if they

get infected.

OK, so now you accept that they do not have herd immunity. You do realize that people are still dying from the virus in Sweden?

I eagerly await for where you will move the goalposts to in your next answer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TommyL727 said:

This is off topic. I just want to say that we NEVER used masks in Norway. Not in stores, not on public transports, nowhere. If you wanted, you could of course. But very few did. And things are going just fine, 267 dead with a mean age of 82. Not that that is a good thing, but the life expectancy in Norway is...yes you guessed it. 82! So people are actually dying with covid, not from it. Except from some few cases of course, which the media is especially keen on dragging onto the front page for scare mongering. The last flare ups have been because some venues, and very localized. So if you take off those 3 or so flare ups, which is now under control, the graph would be as flatlined as my long dead grandmother, rest her soul. I pity you guys from Australia and other countries where they stripped you of your basic human rights. Its a criminal act, and I hope the responsible for it will pay.

On topic: Not one single tourist from atleast here, that I know of, will take 2 weeks quarantine. Expats only.

Actually, you are on topic because  your comments illustrate how difficult it is to set policy when conditions change. Norway is now undergoing a surge in its infections (just like  France, Spain, Canada, Australia). Summer vacation is over,  children back in school etc. There is a problem when the  infections start to double. In the past month cases are showing a surge; 377 cases to 728 cases to  740 to 751. Hospital admissions have increased too.  This is manageable,  in large part because the population is only 5.3 million.

Norway like the EU, UK Australia, Canada, lifted restrictions before the summer holiday season. everything was under control, but then summer  ended.  The management of the new surge is under review;

Norwegian prime minister Erna Solberg has said that the gradual reopening of Norway following the unprecedented coronavirus restrictions must now stop. The government is also considering tightening societal restrictions if the increase in the rate of positive COVID-19 tests seen in recent weeks continues.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidnikel/2020/09/10/norway-pm-coronavirus-measures-could-be-tightened/#6b08b0fc29d6

What we are seeing in Norway is similar to what we are seeing elsewhere. Small groups of people are not acting responsibly and we are seeing flareups. I suggest  you wait a few weeks and see what happens. I expect that Norway will show the same characteristics as elsewhere.

The takeaway is that Thailand can make whatever policy it wants now, but it will change if the designated countries do not get their surge under control. We hopefully will not see the incompetence of the UK  with its  now you have it now you don't safe countries listing. Prudent people will not rely on whatever Thailand says now.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Actually, you are on topic because  your comments illustrate how difficult it is to set policy when conditions change.

more specifically it illustrates that governments should refrain from policies altogether, they should give the data as far as they understand them to the people, and let each individual make his own choice 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

What we are seeing in Norway is similar to what we are seeing elsewhere. Small groups of people are not acting responsibly and we are seeing flareups.

Even more so in Denmark. I believe, we for some weeks have had fewer restrictions than Sweden; however, it turned out we went too far when opening up. It is mostly young people getting infected at the moment due to school start and partying, and longer opening hours in the nightlife. Now, we are back to closing at 22 (10 PM).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Logosone said:

No masks, no lockdown. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

Sweden has 200+ new cases per day.

8,000 total cases per 1M population: 1.5 times as many as the UK, more than 2 times as many as Germany. 

The TAT chief probably lumped together all the Scandinavian countries, which have Covid mortality rates a fraction of Sweden´s, so the Swedes could conveniently hide the cough behind the back of their Nordic relatives when the family picture was taken by TAT.

Making fun of all the odd TAT ideas for attracting tourists but citing a TAT interview as evidence that masks don´t work seems a bit inconsistent.

9 minutes ago, farang51 said:

Even more so in Denmark. I believe, we for some weeks have had fewer restrictions than Sweden; however, it turned out we went too far when opening up. It is mostly young people getting infected at the moment due to school start and partying, and longer opening hours in the nightlife. Now, we are back to closing at 22 (10 PM).

19 minutes ago, scammed said:

more specifically it illustrates that governments should refrain from policies altogether, they should give the data as far as they understand them to the people, and let each individual make his own choice 

Scammed, please refer to Farang51´s text above, regarding the effectiveness of individuals making their own choice

1 hour ago, simtemple said:

In the process the Swedish Government killed off 5868 vulnerable souls and issued instructions to medical staff not to sustain the lives of the elderly. The Swedes are proud of their effort and think we should all be like them. 

The rest of the world has been doing the same thing year in year out "killing off" millions dying of the flu over the past decades.Where's your diatribe for them?

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

This will happen if you have had Covid and have antibodies or any dead virus particles floating around. Thailand cannot distinguish between them 

It happened in Australia and probably happens a lot, everywhere.

Last week, my local news here in Aus reported a guy tested a false positive from old virus remnants. 

It was a very quick comment on the end of another virus story.

Certainly they didnt want it publicised as its own issue.

I was surprised it was even reported. 

54 minutes ago, maqui said:

Sweden has 200+ new cases per day.

8,000 total cases per 1M population: 1.5 times as many as the UK, more than 2 times as many as Germany. 

The TAT chief probably lumped together all the Scandinavian countries, which have Covid mortality rates a fraction of Sweden´s, so the Swedes could conveniently hide the cough behind the back of their Nordic relatives when the family picture was taken by TAT.

Making fun of all the odd TAT ideas for attracting tourists but citing a TAT interview as evidence that masks don´t work seems a bit inconsistent.

No it doesn't, kindly stop posting entirely false and wholly misleading information. 

Sweden records its lowest number of covid cases since March with just 108 after country decided against lockdown

Its rolling seven-day average stood at 108 on Tuesday, its lowest number since March 13.

Only 1.2 per cent of Sweden's 120,000 tests last week came back positive, data from their national health agency shows, according to The Guardian

Their 14-day accumulative total of new cases is 22.2 for every 100,000 inhabitants, compared to 279 in Spain, 158.5 in France, 118 in the Czech Republic, 77 in Belgium and 59 in the UK.

Sweden is even outperforming its Scandinavian neighbours, Norway and Denmark, suggesting their approach may have helped them in the long term. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8736063/Sweden-records-lowest-number-covid-cases-March-108-did-not-impose-lockdown.html

The cases in Sweden are now so low that the UK has added Sweden to its safe list, and even Thailand is considering giving them privileged visas. The facts are the facts. Not the fantasy figures you're posting here.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8736063/Sweden-records-lowest-number-covid-cases-March-108-did-not-impose-lockdown.html

Sweden cases.jpg

Sweden vs EUR.jpg

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Logosone said:

No masks, no lockdown. 

And more died than they had expected, they also had more deaths than their neighbors. But there are a nmber of posters who seem to have very little concern for their fellow man and unneeded deaths are an after thought to open early

• Like 1