Special Tourist Visa: Good news for Scandinavians and Aussies/New Zealanders

webfact

2 hours ago, Alex80 said:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

John Hopkins Coronavirus Research Center is good enough darling?

@Alex80 im talking about active cases as are the thai government. a running total is a irrelevant number,otherwise we could have a running total of flu cases and it would be the 78billion, the planets population. sweden are getting no new cases or hardly any. you do know that people recover from it?or are u fooled by the media and thinking we are all gonna die from it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, paulikens said:

@kingdong are u mad? im talking about active cases, a running total is irrelevant number, its like having a running total of flu which would be 78 billion cuz everyone has had the flu on this planet or nearly everyone. sweden arent getting no new cases.  you're the sort of person who thinks that theres 31mill cases worldwide atm when there isnt as nearly 23mill of them have recovered. i see the scaremongering by the media has worked with you

check the link 60 thousand swedes have currently got the virus,didn,t get to far at school it would appear.

Edited by kingdong

3 minutes ago, moe666 said:

And more died than they had expected, they also had more deaths than their neighbors. But there are a nmber of posters who seem to have very little concern for their fellow man and unneeded deaths are an after thought to open early

not so, sweden was about the only nation that

got the result they expected

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1183576-special-tourist-visa-good-news-for-scandinavians-and-aussiesnew-zealanders/?do=findComment&comment=15838327

and you can grief the 80+ year olds that dies off all you want, the very same 80+ year olds would grief more if they had to continue live

and get older indefinitely, this aint bambi land

Edited by scammed
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

So they make an anouncement about "Special Tourist Visa" and when the details are released it appears that the hoops and hurdles will be far too great for almost anyone to benefit. i.e. from a country where no covid cases for 28 days, 14 day quarantine, 72 hour advance covid test, $100,000 covid insurance, take a (likely expensive) charter flight with THAI Airways. Even if Aussies and Kiwis can leave their countries chances are they won't be able to return home until late 2021 (AUS) or 2022 (NZ) based on current specualtion of those countries relaxing entry requirements. So really in effect it seems that this non-sense anouncement of a "special tourist visa" is so special that, like the Phuket model, it will fall completely flat when they realise that it will be unworkable and not even attract the miniscule numbers of intended capacity. Also, if you are intending to use it as a route to come back and "live" in Thailand, will the STV be convertible to Non-O marriage or retirement visas for those qualifying? I very much doubt it. Sooner or later countries are going to have to realise that this shutdown of travel will ruin their economies completely for decades. Probably already the case.

COVID is never planned to end, that is why they picked the common cold to freak out about. This is meant to lock down the planet to “stop” global warming. The boarders will never open back up the way they once were,  the rich don’t want plebs like you and me to be able to travel and put out carbon. Charter flight and 1000$ for quarantine, is the cost to be elite. Only people with money and time will be able to do traveling like we used too. Get used to it, or vote the them out. 

3 minutes ago, kingdong said:

check the link 60 thousand swedes have currently got the virus,didn,t too get. far at school it would appear.

@kingdong thailand are going on how many 'new' cases each country is getting day by day (atm)and sweden arent getting any or hardly any. look on worldmeters website. they are getting no new cases day after day which means they are low risk. btw.   i can tell you are one of the patronising brigade on here, the old superiority complex chestnut 

• Haha 1

"It would bring in 1.2 billion baht a month to stimulate the economy, said the media."

The media said this, not the TAT spokesman?

Oh well. I'm still trying to get my head around how 1,200 high value tourists per month equals 1.2Billion baht. Really, a million baht per month per tourist? Or is one of those cumulative things where, over the 90 days of the initial STV, each person spends 1 million baht? And they're looking at 3 months worth of tourists on the 90 day wonder visa?

The TAT version of math and their inability to make clear statements makes my head hurt.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, paulikens said:

@kingdong thailand are going on how many 'new' cases each country is getting day by day (atm)and sweden arent getting any or hardly any. look on worldmeters website. they are getting no new cases day after day which means they are low risk. //

Uh? I have not the same reading as you about WorldMeters charts ??

For me Sweden still has hundreds of new cases each day !

Daily-New-Cases-in-Sweden.jpg

Edited by Pattaya46

11 hours ago, Xmas said:

I am currently in Aus. we are not allowed to leave the country without a special permit which is very difficult to get. This rule will stay in place until the state of emergency is reviewed on the 17th. December. It would be very difficult to find a flight even if a permit was issued.  The information regarding this new Thai Visa seems to change each time I read a report. Getting insurance for we older persons is also difficult. I would like to see the Government come up with a scheme for us long time residents to return under our previous visa conditions. I left in March for a 5 week trip and have now been locked out for 6 months.

I sympathise - your board name is oddly appropriate though ???? Good Luck

The STV, is better than STD, but Idoubt that the millions the TAT is hoping for

will happen.  Maybe some lucky Swedes and Norwegans and some Northern Europeans

will get out of Winter to enjoy Thailand.  People who have loved ones and property

will take the quarantine to spend the Winter there, but  not the hordes that TAT is

hoping for.  Trying to make quarantine fun will be a challange. The first few days are

easy with travellers getting over jet lag, then the boredom will set in.

Geezer

25 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Uh? I have not the same reading as you about WorldMeters charts ??

For me Sweden still has hundreds of new cases each day !

You should look at the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) for data, not some obscure internet site.

According to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), the Scandinavian country’s 14-day cumulative total of new cases was 22.2 per 100,000 inhabitants on Tuesday, against 279 in Spain, 158.5 in France, 118 in the Czech Republic, 77 in Belgium and 59 in the UK, all of which imposed lockdowns this spring.

Twenty-two of the 31 European countries surveyed by the ECDC had higher infection rates. New cases, now reported in Sweden only from Tuesday to Friday, are running at roughly the rate seen in late-March, while data from the national health agency showed only 1.2% of its 120,000 tests last week came back positive.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/15/sweden-records-its-fewest-daily-covid-19-cases-since-march

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Logosone said:

So Sweden among the most successful countries in containing Covid19, now considered for special visas.

No masks, no lockdown. 

How did the Swedes do it? Oh that's right, no masks, no lockdown.

Sweden has one of the worst records in Europe, certainly far worse then Denmark, Norway or Finland.

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

In both Oz and NZ there is some fantastic scenery, great beaches and good climate and I believe there are many Australians and New Zealanders who have not seen as much of their own country as they could.

Using the summertime to do a bit more travelling in areas into which they haven't previously been could be good for family holidays, or even for a group of friends who wanted to see a bit more of the country, and indeed take in some winetasting if they are that way inclined....... much to do if they wanted to.

I went to NZ last year, drove from Auckland to Queenstown. Magnificient road trip, the scenery is unmatched. Also went to Oz two times. In both countries the people are very friendly and touring is a pleasure, food is good, NZ weather tho... Alas, it'll probably be years before I can return to it.

So I'm thinking doing a road trip in northern Thailand instead. Everyone is sort of forced to be local these days.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, charmonman said:

Sweden has one of the worst records in Europe, certainly far worse then Denmark, Norway or Finland.

No, you are completely wrong. Sweden is now performing better than Denmark or Norway.

"Sweden also has fewer new daily infections than Norway and Denmark, its Nordic neighbours."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/15/sweden-records-its-fewest-daily-covid-19-cases-since-march

Which is of course why the UK has put Sweden on its list of safe countries.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors

And why Thailand is considering giving Swedes special privileged visa treatment.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 2

It should be noted that an "outbreak case," according to the CDC, is respective of signs of symptoms.

(Emphasis mine)

"Initially, 'clinical features' should be simple and objective (e.g., sudden onset of fever and cough). The clinical criteria may later be characterized by the presence of specific laboratory findings."

Unfortunately, the global term "case" is not standard. A positive test result, even if there are no symptoms and whether or not the viral load is viable or not (infectious or not) is not taken into account. Those who may have had the virus and are no longer infectious but yet test out positive are considered cases. 

This fixation on cases is not only counterproductive, but asinine. It would be like measuring speeding drivers by measuring how many cars are on the road. 

• Like 1

"Last week (as of Sept 9th), the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control confirmed Sweden’s drop in infection rate, with only 12 cases per million, compared to 18 in neighboring Denmark and 14 in nearby Norway.

"The figures also show that out of 2,500 randomly selected and tested people in Sweden, none tested positive, compared to 0.9 percent positive in April, and 0.3 percent in May.

'We interpret this as meaning there is not currently a widespread infection among people who do not have symptoms,' said Karin Tegmark, deputy head of the Public Health Agency of Sweden.

When compared to the rest of Europe, Sweden’s death rate sits somewhere in the middle. However, officials are confident that playing the long game will see this improve drastically."

sweden-close-to-victory-over-coronavirus-never-had-a-lockdown-or-mask-mandate

• Like 2

so they reckon on average each tourist wull

12 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Are these people completely brain dead??? People for OZ will not arrive as they cant leave OZ. No one from the UK USA EU India either. All with have to do a 2 weeks Quarantine that they will have to pay for themselves + lots of other paperwork, Dream on. And they think it'll bring in 1.2 Billion Bht a month. Are got it now they are going to charge all the arrivals 5 MIl: each for their quarantine. I think they have got the UK Ms Abbot doing the sums.

so they reckon these tourists are going to spend, on average, 1 million baht per month? good luck with that.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, LEKPHUKET said:

The bkk post mentions today that they will start with 360 pers per month, to bring in the 10.000 will take many years

Tat has never been good with figures

Thais as a whole ,bless them are Math dyslectic .Often saw them use a calculator to count 2 plus 2 plus 1 ,or similar .

You cannot teach Thai Government officials and it is needless to get upset , at least about their endless considerations and ideas which keep changing day by day anyway. It must come worse than now and it will come worse. First part of Thai population has started to realize and many more will follow and wake up also. Thailand needs this lesson to learn and understand and reality of life will guide them...sooner or later. 

I will keep on watching more than 9,000 km away.

3 hours ago, scammed said:

the weak are gone, the rest of the herd dont give a toss if they

get infected.

Well actually, I wish the UK would do that.

As Charles Darwin said...... "The survival of the fittest"

Oh, by the way, I'm technically one of the "at risk" folks due to age and medical history.......and STILL I think "better dead than all this f***ing about!"

Some of my friends share my views, others do not - the ones who don't I respect and "socially distance" from them.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, scammed said:

more specifically it illustrates that governments should refrain from policies altogether, they should give the data as far as they understand them to the people, and let each individual make his own choice 

Abso - bloody - lutely!!!! ???? ????????????

See my post immediately above too????

Edited by VBF

13 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Oh yeah, a special Regime Tracking chip inserted. Dreaming that anyone wishes to be tracked after 14 days of hotel prison. If only in the mobile then does it have the program to listen in and see what you are doing?

while your smart phone is on google can listen to all thats said nearby.... i was talking rugby with an american who is not a rugby fan.... ten minutes later he was getting ads from google re rugby... listening

1 hour ago, anto said:

Thais as a whole ,bless them are Math dyslectic .Often saw them use a calculator to count 2 plus 2 plus 1 ,or similar .

Totally agree with you I went into a shop the other week and brought 10 plates. They were 38bht each. How simple do you want it. The young Lady took out her calculator and tried several times and never got the correct answer. Some to high some to low. Then the Boss took over she also came up with an incorrect total. By this time I had sorted the correct amount and had put it on the counter.

My Buddha everyone knows it's 900bht. I did that in my head. The above is true anyway.

Edited by fredob43
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Logosone said:

So Sweden among the most successful countries in containing Covid19, now considered for special visas.

No masks, no lockdown. 

How did the Swedes do it? Oh that's right, no masks, no lockdown.

Won’t be long before our resident Thairang calls you a “covidiot” and a “loon” was suggesting such things. 

• Haha 2