This is how to apply to extend your visa in Bangkok

This is how to apply to extend your visa in Bangkok

By The Thaiger

exten-main.jpg

If your visa lapsed since March this year, and you are currently under the amnesty grace period that expires on September 26 (this Saturday), you will need to schedule an appointment online with the Immigration Division 1 at Mueang Thong Thani in Bangkok (a temporary immigration office near Don Mueang Airport) .

Other regional areas will likely require you to make an appointment as well. Contact them before you just go to the offices and expect them to attend to your visa immediately.

You will need…

• Passport

• TM 6 Departure Card

• 1,900 Baht fee for short term extension

• Letter from embassy specifically stating inability to leave Thailand due to lack of repatriation flights and or a high risk of contracting Covid-19 in one’s home nation, or because of your current health (which will also need a medical certificate).

• Portrait photo to affix to short term extension application 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm in dimension

• US Embassy letter request can be made online HERE. (The British and Australian Embassies have also said they will provide supportive letters for their citizens that can indicate why they need to stay in Thailand.)

image-1.jpg

image-1-1.jpg

Source: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/visa/this-is-how-to-apply-to-extend-your-visa-in-bangkok

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2020-09-21

But what if you are attempting to convert a tourist visa into a non-immigrant visa and need a 30-day extension to do it? One of my friends is not long out of hospital, so I went to ask on his behalf, and they told me he needs a letter from the embassy to qualify for that. Why would they tell him to get a letter if the embassy won't give them for that reason? 

18 minutes ago, Deserted said:

But what if you are attempting to convert a tourist visa into a non-immigrant visa and need a 30-day extension to do it? One of my friends is not long out of hospital, so I went to ask on his behalf, and they told me he needs a letter from the embassy to qualify for that. Why would they tell him to get a letter if the embassy won't give them for that reason? 

Go back on top to;   US Embassy letter request can be made online HERE

now press here and fill it out.

3 hours ago, MangoRice said:

When you go to this page to make an appointment, at the end it asks for objective/reason for appointment (90 day reporting, long-term visa, etc). Two options seem like they could work for extending a tourist visa. Which one should I select?

One or the other if they both look good?

For anyone who's gone to the new temporary building at MTT: what is the best/exact place to navigate to if getting there via Google Maps/Grab? Apparently the newly created 'temporary extension' place on Google Maps is actually inaccurate, and a little further from where the building really is.

is the Ibis Hotel by Impact close enough? I know the 166 bus goes directly from Victory Monument as well but that's a last-ditch option..

Edited by tabbycat