Foreigners in Thailand face fines and jail for overstaying as visa amnesty ends

snoop1130

emmmm .... I may have missed something, I'm up in Vientiane Laos, but the question is, do you guys down their in say BKK, have reasonably regular flights out of Thailand ? Commercial non VIP at ridiculous ticket prices ? I just wondered how the poor tourist is supposed to leave on the 24th or before ? Its quite difficult to leave and arrive in Laos, not impossible, but lots of hoops.

It seems like the immigration officers are getting these tourist to walk the plank into Corona Virus infected waters !

5 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

1)An intelligent government would now give an amnesty for another 6 months and thus tourists would have a good image of Thailand and would also return in the future.

2)A stupid government instead would put the 150,000 tourists in concentration camps before the expulsion and of course nobody return.

Intelligence and foolishness tested for the government now, we await the results

Prove that you can not return whence you came from, and that you have money in the bank here to stay and then qualify for a proper Visa instead of expecting free handouts, The Government here and Immigration are not your Go Fund Me account to stay in Thailand, you are the funding for their lives and jobs, and abide by the written rules and regulations.  Nothing in this life is free, nor has it ever been fair.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

Maybe then the Thais in our home country (UK) will start prodding their government to have reciprocal retirement visa rules to the UK.

Got £1,000,000 knocking around?

And maybe we should have to go through the same rigmarole when visiting for a few days/weeks as a Thai would have to go through to visit the UK.

Be careful what you wish for..

Funny how after calling for reciprocity Brits are always silent about really having to meet the same requirements that Britain imposes for retirement visas and business openings. Can you say "health insurance?" Just the usual hot air. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

Return to their countries how? On the back of a freegin' buffalo?

By Air-o-plane... 

By your avatar I’m assuming you’re from the UK, lots of flights & no need to quarantine for 14 days if returning from Thailand direct (BKK - LHR) do need to if you transit in Dona, Dubai etc...

Me? I’d do KLM via AMS even though I have a voucher for 75K THB with Qatar for a cancelled flight in May, saves any hassles when getting back to Manchester.

46 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

You said it, they’re “Residents”, get one of the many visas available to you in Thailand & be a “Resident”.

Incidentally the only available Resident option available to me (UK Citizen) in the US is a $500,000 investment to live in a slum state... Maybe Thailand should do the same for US Citizens??? ... Thought not... 

Non-immigrant visas do not make you a resident. 

You are a visitor for purposes other than tourism. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Non-immigrant visas do not make you a resident. 

You are a visitor for purposes other than tourism. 

I hear what you’re saying but as long as HMRC says I’m resident in Thailand I’m happy with my temporary stay basis.

Waiting for news about the new Investment Visa that will get you PR (I’m not going back to work for 3 years to get it that way) if reasonable (5Million though I figure it’s going to be at least 10 Million THB) then hopefully be able to make my stay more “Permanent” 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, mstevens said:

A friend of mine from New Zealand was in California a couple of months ago. He was actually keen to remain there rather than go back to Hong Kong where he is based. When he called American Immigration he was yelled at down the phone line and told he could not extend his visa and he had to leave before his visa expired.

You say America is being kind to tourists who want to stay there, right? My friend didn't find that to be the case at all - so don't go saying Thailand is not treating visitors as well as your own country of USA because that is <deleted>.

What's funny is all these Australians who aren't welcome to come back to their own country.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/australians-stuck-abroad-covid/index.html

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/21/2020 at 7:39 AM, genericptr said:

There it is. Petty jealousy driving all the behavior. It's a global crisis man. I never asked for this special behavior before. When the crisis ends immigration resumes the normal routine.

im feeling pretty <deleted> too ...  not sure why would thailand drive out all their tourists and have a new "plan" for tourists to come ... doubt most people would come , stay locked down 14 days in an overly expensive hotel and then pay for their visa  , plain stupid 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Prove that you can not return whence you came from, and that you have money in the bank here to stay and then qualify for a proper Visa instead of expecting free handouts, The Government here and Immigration are not your Go Fund Me account to stay in Thailand, you are the funding for their lives and jobs, and abide by the written rules and regulations.  Nothing in this life is free, nor has it ever been fair.

I'm sorry but the test is reserved for government, not for you bro, I know you are smart

Edited by ICELANDMAN
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, bestie said:

I'm sorry to hear that you will leave. That's sad. If they really throwing the tourists out, I think the reason behind it is way more then "no right to live here" the country is probably becoming very unstable or it's very unpredictable what is happing here over the next month/year. On one side Covid and no income on the other side more and more protests which can get quick out of control. Probably not the best idea to have then 100K tourists here. I guess. 

Wish you all the best. 

if we go ahead with your point of view, then we too are on the way to expulsion with an extension of the annual visa ? Seriously?

I also don't understand the comments of certain people here. Had 6 months to do what they had to do but..... no they didn't. Now they are complaining and put the blame on Thailand. You are a tourist and a tourist is not supposed to stay for years, if you do, you are not a tourist at all and you are here on the wrong visa.... is this so difficult to understand?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jack Hna said:

Because a lot of the Brits are running amok on this site like they are the kings. Fair play you got a bit of change there but by no means worth reporting online. Remote work just became the new normal and thailand would be wise to recognise that and embrace it. Might make them realise retirement visas are chump change.

i don't think $0.60 of adsense moniez on the interwebs quite compares to a lifetime's haul of work, savings and investment!

• Haha 2

One yes/no yes/no yes/no corversation is as much intresting than my morning sht! So after coffee and cigarette i go haddle that now! Hope have something else to read! Other hand i can watch NHL!

Hope nobody choke they morning happines!

Im happy ! New morning in rainy Isaan!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Haha 1